Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• minx
    replied
    Guys... yes I'm getting Vista premium with this new Dell which I'm yet to receive, I do like XP and i know it very well, i can recover from problems easily and i know what I'm doing... I have tried a beta of Vista and i needed a nicer machine to see all the enhancements etc but i thought hmmm ok, whenever i get a new pc i'll try Vista again... the PC i have now which i have had for about 4-5 years now is a great little work horse... does what i need... it's an AMD 1800+ 768 megs ram with decent mobo... my new machine is (off the top of my head) is a duel core AMD64 4000+ 2gig DDR2 667 speed ram, 250gig sata HDD, ATI x1300 256 pro 19" flat panel monitor and the various extras etc... i mainly use for video editing so i got a firewire card etc... it'll be a breeze from my old AMD machine which I'm on now...

I know it's not the ultimate machine, but for the price i got it and the fact i've had my last one for about 4 years i'll be happy... i'll try and get into vista... i may tire of the new graphical enhancements i may not... i may just want to utilize the new power of my machine by disabling extra bells and whistles in Vista which i don't need etc...

So thankyou all so far for the info... if there's any thing else i can gleen from you guys that would be great... i do like learning and roaming around a new op-sys but a little help always go's down well...cheers

-M

Leave a comment:

• Joe Gronlund
    replied
    Just all Operating Systems, and all software any MSDN Universal subscriber would get..

As far as hardware goes, we are on our own...

Leave a comment:

• JakeS
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Gronlund View Post
    Works great for me, been using Vista since just before XP went Retail..

I have had no problems setting up custom systems, or OEM systems like "Dell"
    You work directly for Microsoft, and supplied everything cheaply or free, so they ensure that your pc never goes wrong (guess)

Leave a comment:

• Joe Gronlund
    replied
    Works great for me, been using Vista since just before XP went Retail..

I have had no problems setting up custom systems, or OEM systems like "Dell"

Leave a comment:

• JakeS
    replied
    Originally posted by Chousho View Post
    So... you're saying that Vista burns out motherboards? How do you know this for a fact?
    I've found most problems I first think of as hardware usually (read: almost always) turn out to be software. For instance, I was about ready to give up on an optical drive, but I found out it was the driver having a dependency issue (or some other cause) and updated to find no problems.
    Read post above yours.

Leave a comment:

• Chousho
    replied
    Originally posted by Dean C View Post
    5 years huh? My PC 5 years ago, had 128mb of gfx memory, a slow processor and 256mb of ram. I wouldn't be able to run hardly any of the stuff I run now on it. It's pretty unrealistic to say it'll last you that long, if you also want to keep up to date with software requirements too.
    Not at all. As you didn't specify on your CPU I'll bounce off the others. 128MB is still pretty good for a gfx card. You can run most games with it, albeit not on full settings (but I never liked HDR anyway). 256 RAM can easily be switched out or added to. The CPU would most likely be the hardest to gauge, depending on your technical skills. Buying a new mobo can be fun or a pain depending on your case.
    With that said, it's not so much of "my computer can't last 10 years" as much as "I don't want to put in the effort when I can just buy a new one".

Originally posted by JakeS View Post
    Good move
    Hmm, says the person who always pops into a Vista thread and flaunts all the MS OSes he has... ;D
    I've been using Vista since BETA too, I fix computers a lot, now I get laptops given to me to fix IE: HP, Dell etc, and 9 times out of 10 I find that the motherboards on these laptops have gone home (no longer working) so I'm then thinking "Why the hell? my computer hasen't done this yet"

So I actually think its the people who USE them that cause the problems.

considering when one of them got another laptop and got XP on it, the motherboard never burnt out, they asked me to upgrade the computer to Vista (They purchased it from new egg.com) so I did, 3 days lator they come back to me and say "its stopped working again" I take a look.. guess what? motherboard burnt out again.
    So... you're saying that Vista burns out motherboards? How do you know this for a fact?
    I've found most problems I first think of as hardware usually (read: almost always) turn out to be software. For instance, I was about ready to give up on an optical drive, but I found out it was the driver having a dependency issue (or some other cause) and updated to find no problems.

Leave a comment:

• JakeS
    replied
    Originally posted by Vile View Post
    I'm a computer technician as well, and in the 10+ years I've been doing it, I have repaired literally thousands of computers (desktops and laptops) for hardware and software related issue, and I find it's quite the opposite for me than it is for you...Most issues I see are software related, and of those that are hardware related, such as bad HD, motherboard, etc, they have little to do with the users, but rather faulty hardware that has gone bad.
    Whether the computer has XP or Vista or whatever operating system is not going to make it more or less likely the motherboard will "burn out" so I'm not sure how you are seeing such a strong correlation between the two.
    I'm not saying your wrong or anything but... I also said its the people who use the computers that cause it to go wrong.. Yes it could be the hardware, but why would it be a 9 out of 10 for the same component to go wrong?

I'm not sure what they put on to make it go wrong like that, as They just ask me to tell them what's wrong with it, I look I tell them and say "Do you still have a warranty on this?" if Yes I tell them to take it back to the place they purchased it and get another one, and if they don't have warranty then I fix it up for them, but most are brand new laptops so they still have warranty and I don't get a chance to poke around the HDD and see what made really made it go wrong (Check for viruses, Trojans, worms etc)

Which is what makes me think "Is it Vista?" or "Is their some major virus going round for vista?"

Because I must say.. It is very unusual for as many laptops I have repaired(With vista) to have the EXACTLY the same problem, burnt out in the same way too.

Oh, and its not always the same company laptops its from various company's (Sony was the first one I had with this problem brought to me then a dell I think.)

So now I know its one of the 3 things: (1)All the company's have faulty Hardware (doubtful) (2) Its Vista (3) They all have a major virus/worm/trojan in them

Leave a comment:

• Vile
    replied
    I've been using Vista since BETA too, I fix computers a lot, now I get laptops given to me to fix IE: HP, Dell etc, and 9 times out of 10 I find that the motherboards on these laptops have gone home (no longer working) so I'm then thinking "Why the hell? my computer hasen't done this yet"

considering when one of them got another laptop and got XP on it, the motherboard never burnt out, they asked me to upgrade the computer to Vista (They purchased it from new egg.com) so I did, 3 days lator they come back to me and say "its stopped working again" I take a look.. guess what? motherboard burnt out again.
    I'm a computer technician as well, and in the 10+ years I've been doing it, I have repaired literally thousands of computers (desktops and laptops) for hardware and software related issue, and I find it's quite the opposite for me than it is for you...Most issues I see are software related, and of those that are hardware related, such as bad HD, motherboard, etc, they have little to do with the users, but rather faulty hardware that has gone bad.
    Whether the computer has XP or Vista or whatever operating system is not going to make it more or less likely the motherboard will "burn out" so I'm not sure how you are seeing such a strong correlation between the two.

Leave a comment:

• Quillz
    replied
    Good move
    Perhaps for him, but I personally have no reason to ever go back to XP. Vista works great for me, and does what I need it to do.

Leave a comment:

• JakeS
    replied
    Originally posted by Vile View Post
    There is nothing wrong with Vista. I've been using it since Beta (eventually switched to final version when it came out) and it's worked just fine for me.
    The majority of problems people have been encountering are compatibility issues with hardware and software for Vista, yet it's important to keep in mind that these frustrations shouldn't be directed at Microsoft, rather the manufactures for the hardware (and software companies) since they are the ones that waited until the last minute to start releasing compatible drivers/software.

If people are going to be venting, at least do it at/towards the right person...

Leave a comment:

• Vile
    replied
    There is nothing wrong with Vista. I've been using it since Beta (eventually switched to final version when it came out) and it's worked just fine for me.
    The majority of problems people have been encountering are compatibility issues with hardware and software for Vista, yet it's important to keep in mind that these frustrations shouldn't be directed at Microsoft, rather the manufactures for the hardware (and software companies) since they are the ones that waited until the last minute to start releasing compatible drivers/software.

If people are going to be venting, at least do it at/towards the right person...

Leave a comment:

• JakeS
    replied
    Originally posted by markov View Post
    I had lot of problems with Vista, so finally i got rid of that by switching to Windows XP SP2
    Good move

Leave a comment:

• markov
    replied
    I had lot of problems with Vista, so finally i got rid of that by switching to Windows XP SP2

Leave a comment:

• Jose Amaral Rego
    replied
    It is not, as I bought mine 3years ago and will be able to run Vista for another 5 plus years if I choose to purchase it later. I still would not to upgrade my OS for 10 years if need be. If it still works why change things and I know I will not upgrade my computer until I see the next OS in 5 years. Computers tend to last if you only need it to perform repeative projects.

Ever been to a cuban mechanic, you will see them slap on parts from a Toyota onto a Chrysler and make it run for another ten years... I still have my Commadore 64 & 128 computer with tape/diskette drive. I have it in a display case and working games for it. Now, the Commadore is a machine that will not run anything today, but I do know my computer will last ten years from now as the specs. to run Vista is quite compatible.

What software are you referring to? OS or Office and such.. same thing in why toss it out if it works.

Leave a comment:

• Dean C
    replied
    Originally posted by Jose Amaral Rego View Post
    Catch-up is not the problem, it is better to wait if something is twice as better and can last upto 10 years on a OS. My computer is good for another 5 plus years until the new OS come out and if it goes beyound 2 gigabytes for memory, that is when I need a computer or I can stick with getting Vista and wait 10 years. Nothing is wrong with a previous OS if it still works.

Your Serity updates once a week? Mine updates min. every 3hrs and nrever one or two times. I still have vhs and still buy movies on them.. .50 to $1.00 is money spent well. You would not see me buying $30+ for a movie on HD- DVD as it is too expensive and the hardware is too limited right now.
    5 years huh? My PC 5 years ago, had 128mb of gfx memory, a slow processor and 256mb of ram. I wouldn't be able to run hardly any of the stuff I run now on it. It's pretty unrealistic to say it'll last you that long, if you also want to keep up to date with software requirements too.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X