Just bought MS-Vista....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought MS-Vista....

Hey... just bought a new PC which comes with vista premium i think...got from Dell, i got some nice extras/enhancements... i wondered you Vista users...anything i should look out for to enhance my vista experience or pitfalls i should look out for? - I'd love to know if you have the time... cheers

-M

What you mean you 'think' you got it from dell?

Comment

You should of waited for a year and could of bought a quad processor for the same price as that new computer you just paid for... You could return it and buy yourself a cheap $200- used full package computer. AMD rulez... for now,

Comment

Originally posted by minx View Post
        Hey... just bought a new PC which comes with vista premium i think...got from Dell, i got some nice extras/enhancements... i wondered you Vista users...anything i should look out for to enhance my vista experience or pitfalls i should look out for? - I'd love to know if you have the time... cheers

-M
        You think?

Sometimes Vista can use a lot of CPU Usage on a single process called "svchost.exe" you can end it, but be careful, because if you end the wrong one the whole OS stops working.

I've always been careful with live OS, but heck when it comes to a test OS it has a 99% chance of being seriously modded or seriously go wrong.

Also Right click desktop > properties > screen saver > change power settings > change to high performance, this will make vista perform better.

Comment

I think what he means is, he bought a dell and isnt sure what version of Vista he has, he thinks he has premium.
          Which is common, because premium goes by different names..

Control panel --> System will tell you pretty quick...
          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund View Post
            I think what he means is, he bought a dell and isnt sure what version of Vista he has, he thinks he has premium.
            Which is common, because premium goes by different names..

Control panel --> System will tell you pretty quick...
            oh, well I always presumed all machines when they boot up (with vista) have a big green login screen that says the version at the bottom like mine does.

Comment

- Install the vista codec pack
              - You will need to change a few VLC settings to get video displaying (googling for vlc under vista will help) and also to get it to support vista aero.
              - If you plan on using telnet, you'll need to add it again (easily done)
              Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Originally posted by Jose Amaral Rego View Post
                You should of waited for a year and could of bought a quad processor for the same price as that new computer you just paid for... You could return it and buy yourself a cheap $200- used full package computer. AMD rulez... for now,
                You bring up a valid point, but if people continue to use this logic, then they will never buy anything. There will always be something bigger and better coming out "soon" that will cause prices for current hardware to drop.
                Webmaster / Administrator
                www.MegaGames.com
                www.MGForums.com

Comment

Originally posted by Vile View Post
                  You bring up a valid point, but if people continue to use this logic, then they will never buy anything. There will always be something bigger and better coming out "soon" that will cause prices for current hardware to drop.
                  I could understand if you were brought up in white collar family in Japan. I wanted to by xBox 360, but I am not an impulus buyer and know from previous generation that they will make it better and overall cheaper if you wait a year.

I would of bought a plasma or lcd years ago, but after spending hours watching the sceen I determine that the picture was not as crisp or realistic enough for me to purchase something that did not meet the hipe on it. So, I bought a CRT widescreen 30" HD 1080i for less than a good 21" LCD monitor.

Comment

I could understand if you were brought up in white collar family in Japan. I wanted to by xBox 360, but I am not an impulus buyer and know from previous generation that they will make it better and overall cheaper if you wait a year.

I would of bought a plasma or lcd years ago, but after spending hours watching the sceen I determine that the picture was not as crisp or realistic enough for me to purchase something that did not meet the hipe on it. So, I bought a CRT widescreen 30" HD 1080i for less than a good 21" LCD monitor.
                    Impulse buying is something different all together...I am referring to the "wait because the technology will get better" mindset. There is nothing wrong with waiting for the new technology to come out, but you *keep* on waiting and waiting you'll never be "caught up" (because you're not supposed to be, as new technology will always be released) especially in this case, since new/upgraded hardware for computers is released very frequently.
                    Webmaster / Administrator
                    www.MegaGames.com
                    www.MGForums.com

Comment

Originally posted by Vile View Post
                      Impulse buying is something different all together...I am referring to the "wait because the technology will get better" mindset. There is nothing wrong with waiting for the new technology to come out, but you *keep* on waiting and waiting you'll never be "caught up" (because you're not supposed to be, as new technology will always be released) especially in this case, since new/upgraded hardware for computers is released very frequently.
                      I agree, its like with security updates, you download, one week later their is another one.

Comment

Catch-up is not the problem, it is better to wait if something is twice as better and can last upto 10 years on a OS. My computer is good for another 5 plus years until the new OS come out and if it goes beyound 2 gigabytes for memory, that is when I need a computer or I can stick with getting Vista and wait 10 years. Nothing is wrong with a previous OS if it still works.

Your Serity updates once a week? Mine updates min. every 3hrs and nrever one or two times. I still have vhs and still buy movies on them.. .50 to $1.00 is money spent well. You would not see me buying $30+ for a movie on HD- DVD as it is too expensive and the hardware is too limited right now.

Comment

Tried Vista Premium and didn't like it. It looks good if your into eye candy, but I'd still sooner use XP.

It's more user friendly than Vista if you ask me

Comment

Catch-up is not the problem, it is better to wait if something is twice as better and can last upto 10 years on a OS. My computer is good for another 5 plus years until the new OS come out and if it goes beyound 2 gigabytes for memory, that is when I need a computer or I can stick with getting Vista and wait 10 years. Nothing is wrong with a previous OS if it still works.

Your Serity updates once a week? Mine updates min. every 3hrs and nrever one or two times. I still have vhs and still buy movies on them.. .50 to $1.00 is money spent well. You would not see me buying $30+ for a movie on HD- DVD as it is too expensive and the hardware is too limited right now.
                            5 years huh? My PC 5 years ago, had 128mb of gfx memory, a slow processor and 256mb of ram. I wouldn't be able to run hardly any of the stuff I run now on it. It's pretty unrealistic to say it'll last you that long, if you also want to keep up to date with software requirements too.
                            Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

It is not, as I bought mine 3years ago and will be able to run Vista for another 5 plus years if I choose to purchase it later. I still would not to upgrade my OS for 10 years if need be. If it still works why change things and I know I will not upgrade my computer until I see the next OS in 5 years. Computers tend to last if you only need it to perform repeative projects.

Ever been to a cuban mechanic, you will see them slap on parts from a Toyota onto a Chrysler and make it run for another ten years... I still have my Commadore 64 & 128 computer with tape/diskette drive. I have it in a display case and working games for it. Now, the Commadore is a machine that will not run anything today, but I do know my computer will last ten years from now as the specs. to run Vista is quite compatible.

What software are you referring to? OS or Office and such.. same thing in why toss it out if it works.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X