No announcement yet.

What Chat Do you Use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After trying a number of chat solutions, I ended up with 123flashchat and am extremely happy with it. Addonchat was a joke for us. Many users had problems with it. Flashchat was very good but we are on a shared server and the load is just WAY to high. It would be fine on a dedicated server I think. Flasherize is good also. I got fantastic support from them during the install and etc. but server load was again a problem.

123Flashchat was the ticket for me. Yes, it is pricey to start out. $200.00 for a 50 user license but then 100 a year for remote hosting and fantastic integration into my Vbulletin forum including "who's chatting" and etc. on forum home.

I first thought it was a bit expensive but when I weighed the price against what it would cost me to move to a dedicated server, it is really a bargain.

Comment

Originally posted by dknelson99 View Post
      123Flashchat was the ticket for me. Yes, it is pricey to start out. $200.00 for a 50 user license but then 100 a year for remote hosting and fantastic integration into my Vbulletin forum including "who's chatting" and etc. on forum home.
      Does it authenticate through vBulletin? According to their help pages, it only supports md5 passwords.

What about the who's chatting? Did that come builtin, or is it something you did yourself?
      http://britishexpats.com/ - British expatriate community

Comment

It will authenticate with VBulletin and yes, the who's chatting is built in. It displays at the bottom of your forum page with a small addition to the forum home template. The only template edits I did were to the Navbar to add the link and the Forum Home template for the "who's chatting".

Comment

It will authenticate with VBulletin and yes, the who's chatting is built in. It displays at the bottom of your forum page with a small addition to the forum home template. The only template edits I did were to the Navbar to add the link and the Forum Home template for the "who's chatting".
          Thanks. Sounds good. I was looking at fcschat, but this one seems just as good and cheaper.

Comment

My members love it and unlike addonchat, I've had no problems with members who can't get it to work.

Comment

My members love it and unlike addonchat, I've had no problems with members who can't get it to work.
              Well I went ahead and got 123FlashChat. The users love it and it my java support issues are gone.

I have one problem though. I have the chat server on a different machine and there doesn't seem to be a way to get the who's chatting module working. I've emailed support several times and they keep sending me to solutions for either the hosted version or when the chat server is on the same machine as vbulletin. It looks like their hosted version gets around it by using javascript, but the downloadable module doesn't have the necessary files to output the javascript.

How is yours configured?

Comment

Sorry...I am having mine hosted by then. That was one reason that I liked this solution. It doesn't affect my server and I didn't have to worry about hosting it on another. I figured for $100.00 per year for them to host it was cheap enough. The "Who's Chatting" works fine in that case.

Comment

So it's 200 per year for the license plus 100 a year to host on their server so 300 a year for chat?
                  Group Builder

Comment

The $200.00 is for the software, that's a one time fee. After that, it's $100.00 per year IF you host the chat on their servers. If you host it on your own server, then the $200.00 is a one time charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
                      IRC is basically free, I don't see why they would ask for any money per x users. Ridiculous if you ask me. Sounds like I made the right choice with IRC back in 1994 and pjirc as java applet. All browsers support Java, and it's easy to install. And users only have to click 'trust' once. Not more of a hassle then installing a chat client. And the same applies for flashchat. I get as many users to complain about outdated flash versions or browser not having flash installed yet.
                      The problem is though, not everybody wants to install java in there browsers. Thats the big downfall with java chat clients

Comment

Those are the same people who are also annoying by constantly getting asked to upgrade their flash player. In my eyes, it's the same trouble. But yes. It would be nice if this wasn't even needed.

Comment

123flash chat looks nice. And it has several add ons you can buy. Like a pocket PC add on.

Does anyone know a chat solution that combines IM with web based chat?
                          I buy 420 forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X