Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD Monitor Newbie Advice

Hey,
    I admit that this is kind of an unusual question to pose, but I'll try it anyway. Last night I bought a 22" Samsung 226BW Widescreen monitor. The first thing that struck me was how light it was, and how much more desktop space I had compared to my 19" CRT.

The kicker here is that I had been running my 19" CRT at 1024x768, which according to most I've talked to was designed for "old people"

However, I'm really having trouble getting used to the LCD. I've adjusted all the settings, and I'm having trouble getting the contrasts/brightness/gamma just right, so it's easier to look at. While I can read all of the text okay, it's kind of disorienting to sit in front of the new LCD for more than an hour or so.

Have any of you made the drastic switch, or something like it? If so, do you have any advice for getting adjusted to (or adjusting ) a widescreen LCD monitor? Any tips on how to make the most of the 22" widescreen goodness as far as window organization goes?

Thanks for your help in advance!

You're LCD has a specific resolution that it is meant to be run at... You will need to set your video card to that resolution to make the monitor comfortable to view. It is probably either 1600 X 900 or 1920 X 1200. The manual should say.

If the fonts and icons are too small at those resolutions, use your operating system to scale them up to a comfortable level. Also if you're using Windows XP or Vista, make sure that Cleartype is turned on.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Sorry if its seems like I am hi-jacking your thread but since this is related, I'll ask here. Is it better to go for widescreen or just a normal flat screen?

Comment

I prefer my widescreen to a standard 4:3 ratio monitor. If I want to watch high-definition movies on my monitor then I can take advantage of the built-in aspect ratio and get a better picture. I'd recommend the widescreen if your computer monitor doubles for entertainment purposes such as watching movies or if you're in a dorm with limited space. You're PC can become your entire media center. Add an HD-DVD or Blu-ray drive and you're ready to go.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Have you tried pressing the "Auto" button?

Comment

Thanks for the advice. It's a DVI connection, so the auto button apparantly doesn't work. I think what's really throwing me off is the settings...I just can't seem to get the brightness/contrast/gamma and colors set to where it looks okay and isn't hard on my eyes. LCD's definitely seem to be 'brighter' or something. Hopefully I'll get used to it. Most normal people would probably think I was insane from going from a 22" widescreen LCD back to a 19" CRT, atleast.

Comment

All TFT's look brighter then CRT's. Just make sure the room is properly lit and you'll be fine. I always put contrast down to 50% and I'm good.

Comment

Samsung panels are often very bright.

Here in the office we have lots of Dell 2405 and 2407 24" widescreen monitors, which use Samsung panels, and we all run them at between 0% and 15% brightness.

Comment

BTW - the correct resolution at which to run your 226BW monitor is 1680 x 1050.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Moni...Specifications

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone!
                    Following all of your advice, I made sure ClearType was loaded, my resolution was set correctly, brightness/contrast were tweaked, increased the wattage of my desk lamp (which needed to be done anyway )...

I think I'm definitely getting used to LCD's. I tried out my regular CRT again and I can't stand it, so it's definitely an LCD for me. I think I got the colors set correctly. Now my only decision is whether I like the 22" widescreen, or whether downgrading to a 19" widescreen or a 19" standard square monitor would be better, as I still have some time to test it out and return it to the store if I don't like it...though everyone swears by widescreens even if you don't watch movies.

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightPyro View Post
                      Thanks for the advice everyone!
                      Following all of your advice, I made sure ClearType was loaded, my resolution was set correctly, brightness/contrast were tweaked, increased the wattage of my desk lamp (which needed to be done anyway )...

I think I'm definitely getting used to LCD's. I tried out my regular CRT again and I can't stand it, so it's definitely an LCD for me. I think I got the colors set correctly. Now my only decision is whether I like the 22" widescreen, or whether downgrading to a 19" widescreen or a 19" standard square monitor would be better, as I still have some time to test it out and return it to the store if I don't like it...though everyone swears by widescreens even if you don't watch movies.
                      Only problem I find with LCDs wide screens is that some games dont support wide screens therefor you end up having a tiny square screen for the game which is quite annoying which is another reason why I am still not sure whether I should go buy myself a wide screen LCD or a standard square LCD screen.

Comment

Make sure you properly calibrate your monitor. Changing brightness / gamma / contrast settings without any basis throws off any colour accuracy your monitor may have had.

Comment

I think one regular and one widescreen LCD monitor together would be a perfect match... I've already got a regular one, so I've been thinking of getting a widescreen one to go along with it. Then I could use whichever was the best suited for a certain task, or both at once. Anyone here running such a setup?
                          Former endorsement revoked. You know the saying - one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel...

Comment

Originally posted by Gladius View Post
                            I think one regular and one widescreen LCD monitor together would be a perfect match... I've already got a regular one, so I've been thinking of getting a widescreen one to go along with it. Then I could use whichever was the best suited for a certain task, or both at once. Anyone here running such a setup?
                            I haven't thought about getting a 4:3 ratio monitor but I have thought about getting a pivoting widescreen as a second monitor for my machine and as the primary monitors for the other machines throughout the house. Especially on seeing the Xerox Alto, the progenitor of the GUI, on "Geek Weekend" on the Science Channel last weekend.

Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X