Which is better in your opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is better in your opinion?

to let guests view the whole forum or to make them register before they can view anything? which has worked for you?

I think it's better to let them view the forums, but not threads.

I've allowed guests to see threads before, but they were leaving after they eat all the content without registering.
    $post[signature]

Comment

how would i go about doing that?

Comment

Allowing guests to see forums but not threads?

Edit Unregistered Usergroup, and scroll down to Forum Viewing Permissions -> Can View Thread Content -> *Select No*
        $post[signature]

Comment

thank you lets see how this goes. ide like to hear from other ppl as well

Comment

Let them view the threads, you're basically more or less removing yourself from search engines if you don't because search engines can't browse your content as guests. If you want a compromise I'd suggest limiting access to one or two sections to keep the incentive to register as well.

Comment

I wish there is a mod allows robots to access threads but not guests.
              $post[signature]

Comment

Originally posted by RedTyger View Post
                Let them view the threads, you're basically more or less removing yourself from search engines if you don't because search engines can't browse your content as guests. If you want a compromise I'd suggest limiting access to one or two sections to keep the incentive to register as well.
                very true, i like the way i edited it just now [guests can only view forums, but cant view threads]. i checked the forums as a guest and the only thing i have a problem with is this
                '
                Welcome to the Forums. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

is there anyway i can change that?

Comment

Sorry. Change what?
                  $post[signature]

Comment

Originally posted by Mazinger View Post
                    I wish there is a mod allows robots to access threads but not guests.
                    What would be your goal with that? Get yourself removed from listing at SE's, as this is considered cloaking and will your site get removed from listing.
                    Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
                    Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

I've found that allowing guests to view the whole forum but not being able to post works well for me. I also setup an area where guests can post, and this tends to bring them into the forum also. Best of all I installed an arcade and put some great games up there, but don't allow guests to play

Comment

I let them view the entire forums
                        MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                        Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

I let them view the forum and see threads in some section and hide threads in another section

Comment

That will boost your member count but it's harder to get your site index by google (more)

Comment

so far i like the fact that the guests can view the forums [which lets them know what the forum is about]. its working pretty good, anyone else?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X