No announcement yet.

Which database... help me... :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True -- although I can count the number of times I've needed LIMIT on one hand (2 to be exact) and SP's have worked each time. But it *would* be nice to have that integrated into the SQL language.

Yep Im cutting out my use of LIMIT now - really it isnt always needed.

What do you mean DELETE or UPDATE foreign keys?

I mean cascading foreign keys

Comment

Originally posted by 4php
      What do you mean DELETE or UPDATE foreign keys?

I mean cascading foreign keys
      I will agree with you there -- Sybase made the decision however many years ago to say that foreign key integrity should be maintained via triggers in this case. So, if you have a user table and a post table:
      user( username primary key )
      post( postid, username references user( username ) )

how would you delete a user? You'd either have to perform individual DELETE stmnts or put a DELETE trigger on the user table and have it basically CASCADE for you. However yes, it would be nice to do that automagically with a CASCADE portion of the languge (like Oracle, PostGRES, etc.).
      Matt
      Sybase DBA / PHP fanatic
      Sybase v. MySQL v. Oracle | Why I don't like MySQL | Download Sybase TODAY! | Visit DBForums.com!

Comment

ok, one last thing I want to know...

is mysql was comapred to postgreSQL on the same machine:

Would PGSQL outperform mysql? Are there and major things missing from PGSQL that are available in mysql (eg Limit in Sybase).

Cheers all...

I see you can now download Gemini, however if postgreSQL outperforms it anyways and has more features, I might as well switch
        http://www.e-tones.co.uk - The best site on the net for mobile phones.

Comment

Originally posted by etones
          ok, one last thing I want to know...

is mysql was comapred to postgreSQL on the same machine:

Would PGSQL outperform mysql? Are there and major things missing from PGSQL that are available in mysql (eg Limit in Sybase).

Cheers all...

I see you can now download Gemini, however if postgreSQL outperforms it anyways and has more features, I might as well switch
          Would Postgresql outperform MYsql ?
          Well how long is a piece of string - it depends on who does the tests and what the test is.
          MYsql doesn't seem to release tests that show it under high load because it doesn't perform as well then

Postgresql is worth using for it's extra features alone -
          things like subqueries, triggers, stored procuders you will very quickly find you can use.
          Once you start using another database you'll never switch back.

Also hearing of someone who had has had MYsql crash and data corrupted isn't an uncommon thing -
          I've yet to see once on the Postgresql mailing lists of people getting corrupted data.

If you learn to use Postgresql you'l find switching to Interbase, Sybase, DB2 etc won't be a nightmare as the basic theory behind the features are the same.

But stick to MYsql and you'll always be missing out on features and not realising the potential of a real RDBMS.

Main thing missing in Postgresql that MYsql has is full text indexing - but there are c triggers t\hat can achieve what you want.

I'd suggest searching in google for "why not MYsql"
          Last edited by 4php; Wed 18 Jul '01, 8:53am.

Comment

Originally posted by MattR

I will agree with you there -- Sybase made the decision however many years ago to say that foreign key integrity should be maintained via triggers in this case. So, if you have a user table and a post table:
            user( username primary key )
            post( postid, username references user( username ) )

how would you delete a user? You'd either have to perform individual DELETE stmnts or put a DELETE trigger on the user table and have it basically CASCADE for you. However yes, it would be nice to do that automagically with a CASCADE portion of the languge (like Oracle, PostGRES, etc.).
            Well Im pretty sure Postgresql's foreign keys are really triggers - you just get them automatically generated for you.
            They are handy though - mainly for the lazy amongst us.

Comment

cheers 4php.. if I were you, postgreSQL or mysql?

Comment

Originally posted by etones
                cheers 4php.. if I were you, postgreSQL or mysql?
                Well that's not a question that enters my mind these days. Id have to be dragged kicking and screaming to use MYsql these days. Even if someone could prove to me in a rare case for a particular application that MYsql would perform say 20% faster , I still wouldn't use it.

Postgresqls superior features , better stability and better performance under load is much more important to me.

The reason Im so hostile to MYsql is not that I think it's a bad product - MYsql is good for a lot of situations - it's just the FUD they used to spread (and still do sometimes, just read their TODO list, the foreign key section in particular) about things like foreign keys, triggers and stored procedures not being of any use.
                Last edited by 4php; Wed 18 Jul '01, 9:05am.

Comment

I'll be using postgreSQL then

Thanks to all that helped!

Comment

http://www.mysql.com/news/article-74.html

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X