No announcement yet.

About John's recent announement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can always PM one of the moderators (particiularly if they are online) and ask

Comment

Honestly, I think that it is a good idea to require the license number and show an icon to all...but I *don't* have a license. Kathy owns them both--I just do the upgrading etc. My situation is the crux of the issue....even now, I need to get Kathy to post problems that we have so that I'll get answered. Or should I assume I'm allowed to put *her* license info in *my* profile?

Comment

Couple things. First, the same license can't be in more than one profile. So adding her license to your profile wouldn't work (unless she hasn't put it in hers). That said, the license is associated with a name/street address/etc., not a vB.com username, so really you could put one of them in your profile and she could put the other in hers. As long as you have a valid customer number and customer password, and don't use the same one she does, you shouldn't have any problems.

Comment

Thinking out loud here...
          Maybe there could be an icon only visible to senior members? Or those with a certain number of posts? (300? 500?) That way at least joe blow with his first post couldn't see it, but those who've been here and posted a bit (who are likely to be the ones who this would help) can see it...

Comment

Good idea Kevin!
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

It took me a while because I haven't visited a lot lately, but I've updated my profile.

I agree with tubedogg, that any indication aside from mods and admins should be limited to senior members.

Me likey vbulletin.

James

(and coincidentally, my quite low-traffic site has a forum dedicated to the blog-a-thon - come check it out or visit the website if you haven't heard. vbulletin saves the day, giving participants a common place to share their thoughts.)

Comment

haven't read all the posts here but maybe the vB owners should register for this forum with license info and then only give the username/password of their vBulletin.com forum a/c to staff since vB owners don't see the license info anyway in their profiles so staff won't either?
                :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Originally posted by tubedogg
                  That said, the license is associated with a name/street address/etc., not a vB.com username, so really you could put one of them in your profile and she could put the other in hers. As long as you have a valid customer number and customer password, and don't use the same one she does, you shouldn't have any problems.
                  I'm not following you here and I have a similar problem to Susan. We have 3 site 'owners' and are essentially a volunteer, non-commercial, online users group, where lots of people help out. I would like anyone working on the site to be able to get support here. Otherwise, the entire burden falls on my shoulders, simply because I'm the person who registered the script.

Comment

I agree that a shortcoming of this scheme is not allowing multiple support staff at a customer site to register under the same vB license.

I have three primary support people on my forum and of course only one of us can register under our license and receive "premium" support here. I know the others can ask questions and get answers, but they will not be treated as licensees when they do.

-t
                    Tim Hewitt
                    myOstrich Internet - Domain Management & Internet Services
                    myOstrich Golf - When it comes to golf, we don't have our heads in the sand.

Comment

Originally posted by samtha25
                      I'm not following you here and I have a similar problem to Susan. We have 3 site 'owners' and are essentially a volunteer, non-commercial, online users group, where lots of people help out. I would like anyone working on the site to be able to get support here. Otherwise, the entire burden falls on my shoulders, simply because I'm the person who registered the script.
                      Susan's case was different I believe (correct me if I'm wrong). Her partner has 2 licenses, and it's her and Susan, so each puts a set of info into their profile, no problem. It sounds like you have one license and three people. That is not addressed by the system and is something that needs to be looked into.

The hard thing about this is finding a balance between preventing people from handing out their license info illegally to put in the profile and allowing licensees who have a valid reason to put the info in more than one profile, as in this case.

Comment

hmm. maybe like a list of allowed usernames in the members area?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnM
                          hmm. maybe like a list of allowed usernames in the members area?
                          Can't anyone with the customer number and customer password get into the members' area? What if I get run over by a bus tomorrow?

Comment

I believe he means your personal license page, not just a big list in the member's area.

Comment

Well, I'm getting my license in a few hours so I'll be sure to update as soon as I can

Comment

I don't own vB and I probally won't for a long time. I'm just come around here and visit the chit chat forums. I was reading through this forum and I thought I might as well give you my suggestion about this.

Your paid users want some special members title so they can tell who has paid and who hasn't. Of course, you don't want just anyone knowing if you have paid or not. So why not show a special titles, little button, or some other thing only to the other paid users. That way all the people that don't have vB (like me) see all the members as the same. The paid users see the special paid member thingy so they know if it is ok to help them with a hack, install, or whatever else should just be for members.

Just my opinion of course.

Comment