Suggestions on how to get members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions on how to get members

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone could give me suggestions on how to get my user base up from where it's at. Right now I will get 2-3 new members a day. I just started my forums so I expect it to pick up a bit, but I am still looking for some tips from people with 1000's of members.

Thanks,
    Andrew Pfeifer
    - Andrew Pfeifer

Although my forum does not have any near 1000 members, I think I have some tips which might be valuable.(or not )

Site that has some decent traffic will get new members alright but obtaining "active" members are the hardest part.

My forum is 4 months old.
    http://www.anime-anime.com/forum/index.php
    I tried to reply any new threads when I started to get some active members. After a while (Like 2 months), I got like 10 active members, then I withdraw from the forum slowly, sometime has passed, the forum is running by those active members. I only do the job as admin. (Backuping & such)

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll be sure to keep that in mind, although I will try to be an active member of the community for a good time to come.

Andrew
      - Andrew Pfeifer

Comment

Run a contest. They can get you a lot of members, although they don't guarantee instant success. If you setup a contest where you register and you pick a random registration in a certain time period to win a free prize of some sort. Just an idea.
        Marc James
        Sports Central — Beyond the Scores
        Sports Central Message Boards

Comment

or make a certain forum where only register members with x amount of posts can enter

Comment

Morning Star, that is a good idea and I will look into doing it, mjames, what would you suggest giving away in the contest? It couldn't be something to expensive because I'm not that well off.

Andrew
            - Andrew Pfeifer

Comment

i know its a good idea because it worked on the forum i administrate.about 80% were going into a certain forum so we made so that they would need a certain amount of posts to enter that forum

Comment

Originally posted by andrewpfeifer
                Morning Star, that is a good idea and I will look into doing it, mjames, what would you suggest giving away in the contest? It couldn't be something to expensive because I'm not that well off.

Andrew
                You could give a gift certificate away to somewhere like Amazon or Buy.com. That way, the winner wouldn't be restricted in what he/she receives.
                Marc James
                Sports Central — Beyond the Scores
                Sports Central Message Boards

Comment

or to the person who reaches a certain amount of posts or has the most refferals you can make them a mod to the forum of their choice

Comment

You could have a loyal member of your site who tells everyone in his ICQ list about your board like someone did on mine

I swear he must have gotten like half the ppl registered on my boards through his method
                    forums: pcfx.cc
                    gallery: here

Comment

Well, I actually thought about this last night - in a moment of clairty My thought was to have some form of advertising, be it banners or popup windows for people who don't register. This could be done in a new style or replacement set. The registered people however would be able to choose not to view advertisements, or popups by selecting a different style sheet.
                      HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
                      -
                      Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

Originally posted by Martz
                        Well, I actually thought about this last night - in a moment of clairty My thought was to have some form of advertising, be it banners or popup windows for people who don't register. This could be done in a new style or replacement set. The registered people however would be able to choose not to view advertisements, or popups by selecting a different style sheet.
                        I kinda like that idea, has a bit of evil in it.

Andrew
                        - Andrew Pfeifer

Comment

I like that idea - surprised it hasn't been thought of before (well it probably has, but it isn't widely in use).
                          When I get a chance I will integrate something like that to one of my boards.

Comment

Already thought of that pop up

Was planning a kind of pop up for guests telling them what they can (and can't) do as a guest (nice and informative), and what they could do if they registered.
                            Kinda like:
                            "Here's a bike for you and this is how the peddles work. Nice, eh?!
                            Now look at what this free Lamborghini can do for you..."

I might have exaggerated a little with that example there, hehe

Comment

Well, the idea is to make money from your guests, members give you registrations, guests just use bandwidth
                              HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
                              -
                              Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X