Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you translate this into english please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you translate this into english please?

This poem is from a GCSE year 11 poem from the UK for English class (Grammer spelling class etc you know the one)

I cannot read it due to it is so screwed up, my mate had it in class and he could & showed it to me to read but I cannot, can someone type it up so its like how I'm typing so its readable?

P.S he won't read it to me he just calls me stupid instead.

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/6600/001rx3.jpg

It's not really screwed up... I was able to understand some of it. It's just intentionally written in some uncommon dialect.
    Forums

Comment

It is English. From the looks it appears the author is trying to phonetically recreate something of an uneducated English or with someone who English is a second-language.

Reading it here: http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/lucasbent...caste_by_john/

It is basically a uneducated person questioning why he is "Half-caste" or basically half a person simply because he is black and white. Probably referring to the Author himself as he was from Guyana (primary language was French most likely) and mixed-race. The poem is written as he would speak it. If you read it outloud, you can probably understand it better.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
        It is English. From the looks it appears the author is trying to phonetically recreate something of an uneducated English or with someone who English is a second-language.

Reading it here: http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/lucasbent...caste_by_john/

It is basically a uneducated person questioning why he is "Half-caste" or basically half a person simply because he is black and white. Probably referring to the Author himself as he was from Guyana (primary language was French most likely) and mixed-race. The poem is written as he would speak it. If you read it outloud, you can probably understand it better.
        Ok, but it is hard for me to read out loud too, I come from the sort of "Posh all white area", its bad enough trying to understand the Pakistanis & Muslims & all the others when I talk to them, Sometimes I can understand the Indians broken English, because some of them try a bit harder.

I can understand for a foreigners English to be bad some don't even bother learning, but I can barely understand some people, example, this poem.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeS View Post
          Ok, but it is hard for me to read out loud too, I come from the sort of "Posh all white area", its bad enough trying to understand the Pakistanis & Muslims & all the others when I talk to them, Sometimes I can understand the Indians broken English, because some of them try a bit harder.

I can understand for a foreigners English to be bad some don't even bother learning, but I can barely understand some people, example, this poem.
          Well, it's up to you to educate yourself in other dialects. You can't expect others to cater to your own needs.
          Forums

Comment

This poem appears to be specifically written this way to prove a point, not because of the Author's intelligence or education. That is probably why it is assigned in your class.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Do your homework yourself

Comment

...can someone type it up so its like how I'm typing so its readable?
                Yes, I can (have the ability to)

It's not really that hard to read and understand it, even with the horribly small image you supplied.

Comment

Looks like the AQA anthology to me... in which case Poems from other cultures is a specific part of the course. It's not that hard to understand.

Um, if you don't, hadn't you better see your English teacher double quick as those exams aren't that far away now?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X