Got a Domain? Protect Yourself From Scams and Spam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a Domain? Protect Yourself From Scams and Spam

If you are the owner of a domain name I strongly recommend to consider using the anonymous option or purchase a whois guard or protection plan with the registrar. Some offer them for free, some offer them for a small fee. Because anybody can call the public WHOIS records and contact you by mail, phone, or even at home.

(The full blog entry is on this link)

The above is a blog entry I just wrote. I hope it is of use to people who do not yet use protection on their domains. For the rest here who does use it, let us know! Post here what your experience with domain protection is.

Thanks.

I personally find it's cheaper for me to rent a Post Office Box with the United States Postal Service and refer stuff there
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
      I personally find it's cheaper for me to rent a Post Office Box with the United States Postal Service and refer stuff there
      I don't know if this is true of the US, but in the UK there is no protection for the details behind a PO Box, anyone can request the details of who it refers to. But I guess it's a certain level of anonymity for the casual harasser.

Anyway, I offer WhoIS Guard with all my domains and use it myself everywhere except where legally obliged. I would strongly recommend using it for forums especially even if nowhere else, needless to say disgruntled users are not uncommon and your WhoIS details give them an easy retribution if they so want, as I found out for myself.

Additionally, if you have your own nameservers, check they they aren't representative of a domain that is not WhoIS Guard protected. By this, I mean you could have a protected domain that is using your custom nameservers which are named after your home domain. They could look at the nameserver, look up the details for the domain they refer to and easily bypass your WhoIS Guard protection. Often domain companies allow you to use their nameservers which are not necessarily as good as your own but which are obviously fully anonymous.

Comment

I have been hearing the exact opposite after RegisterFly, the people that used the Whois guard could not get thier domains back because they had no proof that they owned the domains.
        Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

Originally posted by IDN View Post
          I have been hearing the exact opposite after RegisterFly, the people that used the Whois guard could not get thier domains back because they had no proof that they owned the domains.
          That's bull. You have purchase details which confirm transaction information from both parties.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
            That's bull. You have purchase details which confirm transaction information from both parties.
            Not if RegisterFly puts in their own details as the WHOIS instead of doing WHOIS guard
            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by RedTyger View Post
              I don't know if this is true of the US, but in the UK there is no protection for the details behind a PO Box, anyone can request the details of who it refers to. But I guess it's a certain level of anonymity for the casual harasser.
              I'm not sure how far it goes myself, however as far as I know it's still pretty vague. You still need to get a subpoena in order to request such details as who's the box holder.

Overall, I find that the number of domains I have would far outweigh the costs of having a PO Box.

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
                Not if RegisterFly puts in their own details as the WHOIS instead of doing WHOIS guard
                Again.

You purchased the domain, you have transaction details as evidence that you are the owner. Any judge will now give you the benefit of the doubt that you are the owner, especially since they know what a bloody bunch of scammers they are. They might enter the name of President bush in there, doesn't mean you gave permission to change ownership. It is still yours and they transferred it without permission.

Comment

That wasn't necessarily the case here Floris. This was one of the moments in time where actually the system backfired.

I've been on the front lines helping RF customers sort out this entire debacle and it's been often where customers could NOT get their domains out. Even with proof of transaction provided to Verisign and ICANN, they couldn't do anything because there wasn't a shred of evidence in the WHOIS saying they were the owners. It showed RF from top to bottom as the registrant, admin contact, technical contact, billing contact, etc.

Mute point Floris, but not everyone has money to fight out an extended war in the legal system over a domain name, especially when it is about to expire and could be snatched up by some prospective domain leecher.

There are LOTS of horror stories on the net about RegisterFly's PROTECTFLY. ProtectFly did it's job too well in many cases.

www.registerflies.com
                  www.registerflea.com
                  Last edited by ManagerJosh; Mon 9 Apr '07, 7:39pm.

Comment

Im going to "Chime" in on this by request . I was once a Registerfly Customer... at one time. I will just do one thing, I sugest a company that didn't loose it's right to issue domain names . GoDaddy.com will protect your personal WHOIS information for free, but while under Registerfly I will admit to using a false address (that doesn't exsist) so that nobody could find me in RL well at least at my house.

As for a lawsuit, it is not worth it. If you are a Registerfly customer there is a class action suit against them and the ICANN is getting ready fully transfer all their domains to an acredited provider. Also as a domain holder, your domain is under the supervision of the company you bought it from, they do have the right to move it around to other providors granted your fees do not change.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X