Increase motorway speed limit to 80mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by filburt1 View Post
    Because in one hour, you'll go ten miles further. My commute to work is more than 35 miles each way.
    Theoretically at least...

The speed limit in California used to be 55 MPH. Now the freeways between my house and downtown Los Angeles are mostly 65 MPH. The distance is still approximately 50 miles and it still takes at least 90-120 minutes to get there. At least on a good traffic day.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Because in one hour, you'll go ten miles further. My commute to work is more than 35 miles each way
      If your commute is 35 miles, your only saving yourself about 4 minutes.

Code:
      Commute Miles	Speed / MPH	Commute Time / Minutes
      35	80	26.25
      35	70	30.00
      35	60	35.00
      Code:
      Commute Miles	Speed / MPH	Commute Time / Minutes
      60	80	45.00
      60	70	51.43
      60	60	60.00
      Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Originally posted by Noiz Pollution View Post
        Here's the thing, speed doesn't kill unless it's coupled with bad driving

This must be the quote of the month. No matter how you reach this conclusion - it is wrong.

Reasonable speed must be enforced because in real driving situations a lot of surprises might happen - and you should be prepared to deal with them all.

You certainly have heard of innocent people getting killed on the road because of somebody else's error. When the speed is low you can deal with such situations much better.

You like it or not, driving is a "community thing": you are almost never doing it alone.

Comment

Here in Sweden, the max on the motorways is 110 km/h (about 68mph) though as you approach bigger cities it drops to 90 (52) and then, if it's really big cities like Stockholm, to 70 (43) as you go through the city. Good for the air quality, jams, and safety! The government recently decided to lift the max to 120 though (75) in the best stretches of motorway...this will start at the beginning of next year.

In Utah in the US, around cities it was 65 mph and in the country it was 75.
          Photography :: Bird Information and Help

Comment

Originally posted by mihai11 View Post
            This must be the quote of the month. No matter how you reach this conclusion - it is wrong.

Reasonable speed must be enforced because in real driving situations a lot of surprises might happen - and you should be prepared to deal with them all.

You certainly have heard of innocent people getting killed on the road because of somebody else's error. When the speed is low you can deal with such situations much better.

You like it or not, driving is a "community thing": you are almost never doing it alone.
            So you're telling me that speed will kill in every situation? I'm willing to bet that 99 out of 100 road accidents involve at least one person making an arse of what they're doing ie. they're crap drivers. Do you see F1 drivers being killed during every race?

As much as it can be a major contributing factor in a death, speed by itself does not kill, being an idiot and driving at 50mph in a built up area during peak time traffic I would call more of an "idiot driver" problem than a speed problem, but not driving at 110mph down a straight on an empty motorway in the middle of the night.

It's all entirely based around the situation and the intelligence/eyesight of the person in control of the vehicle.
            Visit NoizPollution.com // Your Music Source

Do not PM or email me for support, you will not receive a response. Please post all requests for support in the main vBulletin forums or via the support system in the main members section of the site.

Comment

So you're telling me that speed will kill in every situation? I'm willing to bet that 99 out of 100 road accidents involve at least one person making an arse of what they're doing ie. they're crap drivers. Do you see F1 drivers being killed during every race?
              Don't make stupid generalizations. Speed is a factor. Just like the lack of experience or driving ability is a factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Dilly View Post
                Don't make stupid generalizations. Speed is a factor. Just like the lack of experience or driving ability is a factor.
                You neglected to quote the next thing I said, context is very important when you quote someone.

Do not PM or email me for support, you will not receive a response. Please post all requests for support in the main vBulletin forums or via the support system in the main members section of the site.

Comment

As much as it can be a major contributing factor in a death, speed by itself does not kill, being an idiot and driving at 50mph in a built up area during peak time traffic I would call more of an "idiot driver" problem than a speed problem, but not driving at 110mph down a straight on an empty motorway in the middle of the night.
                  If something unexpected happens on a "straight empty motorway" while driving at 110mph your life will be in danger and possibly the life of others. If you would be driving at a reasonable speed (e.g. 50mph) your chances of successfully getting out of this situation would increase exponentially.

If you really like driving with high speed I suggest using a private track. This is the right solution.

Judging by your arguments and taking into consideration your age I say that you are not mature enough to judge those things.
                  Last edited by mihai11; Sun 1 Apr '07, 1:41pm.

Comment

If something unexpected happens on a "straight empty motorway" while driving at 110mph your life will be in danger and possibly the life of others. If you would be driving at a reasonable speed (e.g. 50mph) your chances of successfully getting out of this situation would increase exponentially.

If you really like driving with high speed I suggest using a private track. This is the right solution.

Judging by your arguments and taking into consideration your age I say that you are not mature enough to judge those things.
                    You sort of need to meet a middle ground there. Driving at 110 MPH on a road at night (especially) isn't entirely safe, but driving at 50 MPH on the same road under the same conditions is not massively safer, either. Moderately so, yes, but if your eyes, brakes, reflexes, and driving kills don't suck, then you will not be in as severe a danger as people may think you will.

Your car won't explode and take out a city block at 110 MPH spontaneously like it's a game of Burnout. It requires an external influence:
                    • You sucking as a driver (the biggest problem)
                    • Weather conditions, and not acting appropriate for them, which can include driving too slow and getting rear-ended when it's your own damn fault
                    • Interference from other drivers who aren't paying attention
                    • Unexpected objects or animals on or entering the road
                    • A sudden failure of your car, like a blowout, or in an emergency, you burning out your brakes

And I'm not some speed freak. I've held my license for six years or so which is, I acknowledge, not a long time compared to many others, but in those years, I haven't had a single speeding ticket--my only ticket was a parking violation that I wasn't aware of at the time--and my only accident was getting rear-ended at a red light after being stationary for 30 seconds by some dumb (but quite hot) girl who wasn't paying attention and apparently getting dressed while driving her inversely-proportioned Ford Explorer.

I avoid being a retard by staying in the rightmost lane that accomodates my speed--not cruising in the middle or left lanes!--signaling, and using common sense. Most importantly, I'm aware.

This isn't a rant against you, just against other drivers who seem to think speed directly equals danger. Yes, it is a factor, but it's a combination of speed and, to a much larger extent, other conditions at the time, that could result in danger.
                    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

You neglected to quote the next thing I said, context is very important when you quote someone.
                      No. I chose not to include it because it wasn't relevant. There are too many factors to simply pick eyesight, speed, intelligence, road condition etc. and say it is the cause. The best solution is to simply limit the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Dilly View Post
                        No. I chose not to include it because it wasn't relevant. There are too many factors to simply pick eyesight, speed, intelligence, road condition etc. and say it is the cause. The best solution is to simply limit the risk.
                        It wasn't relevant?!? You basically repeated it in your post! Are you a mentalist?!?

Comment

Unexpected things are just as likely to happen when you're sitting still, like some idiot crashing into you... and I don't like having assumptions on my maturity made based on my age, you don't know me at all so any judgement you make is inherently flawed.

Your idea that speed by itself is a killer reminds me of the time I was reading about people building cars and trains in the 1800's and the idea that travelling at 30mph or above would rip the human body apart, simply because they'd never achieved that kind of speed before.

Speed itself does not kill. Idiot/crap drivers or having a vehicle which is either not road worthy or very close to being not road worthy combined with speed can kill, and anybody who drives with a car/bike in such a condition at high speed needs their f***ing head checked.

Comment

Unexpected things are just as likely to happen when you're sitting still, like some idiot crashing into you... and I don't like having assumptions on my maturity made based on my age, you don't know me at all so any judgement you make is inherently flawed.

Your idea that speed by itself is a killer reminds me of the time I was reading about people building cars and trains in the 1800's and the idea that travelling at 30mph or above would rip the human body apart, simply because they'd never achieved that kind of speed before.

Speed itself does not kill. Idiot/crap drivers or having a vehicle which is either not road worthy or very close to being not road worthy combined with speed can kill, and anybody who drives with a car/bike in such a condition at high speed needs their f***ing head checked.

I think I understand your thinking. You seem to be some kind of idealist. You apply idealist situations to real situations and then draw conclusions.

Idealistically, what you are saying is right: you can very well drive with 300km/h and if you have excellent reflexes, excellent car, excellent driving partners, excellent road (a single hole in the road can kill you at that speed), no unexpected situations (like you said: unexpected happens any way, so why bother with it) aso… then in the end you might arrive at destination alive. Your conclusion ? Speed doesn't kill.

I never said that the speed itself is a killer. I said that speed is an important factor. If you want, speed is like AIDS. If you have it you will most likely die, but AIDS will NOT kill you. It is going to be a banal flu or other complications because your immune system doesn't answer.

If I apply your logic, then having AIDS it's not so bad. After all, AIDS in itself in not a killer, so why complain about it ?

The same with speed. Having only speed in itself is not going to kill you. You need another factor, but in real world situations such factors are almost impossible to count.

Comment

It's not really an idealistic thing but it's not a worst case scenario thing either, what I'm getting at is that it's only idiots who drive fast in the wrong situations eg. 100mph down a torn up country road but in saying that driving at 40mph on a motorway is almost as dangerous as you basically become a moving hazzard for other drivers who're keeping up to the speed of the road. Driving at 100mph down a motorway which is in decent condition with tyres in decent condition with little or no other traffic on the road isn't anywhere near as dangerous as people might think, but as always it's that unexpected X factor that screws things up but that tends to come regardless of speed so there really isn't any point in worrying about it.

At the end of the day, people are human and mistakes are made, people are injured or die on the roads all the time but you'd be amazed by how few of these tragic incidents are not caused by someone driving at speed. Only idiots drive fast in built up areas which is why I think there should be more restrictions around the likes of hospitals and schools and less on motorways as the latter really was designed for driving at speed on.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X