Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Increase motorway speed limit to 80mph

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Increase motorway speed limit to 80mph

    Hi guys,

    Please could you guys help by signing this petition to try and urge the government to increase the speed limits on motorways in the UK to 80mph. (Similar to that of other European countries)

    Obviously for this to be successful, the existence of this petition needs to be spread.

    http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/GregDyk/

    Thank you.

  • #2
    80 miles per hour?? That's hella fast my friend (approx 130kph). Here in Canada the standard speeds range between 100-110kph, and that's only ~60-70mph.
    ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by cbiweb View Post
      80 miles per hour?? That's hella fast my friend (approx 130kph). Here in Canada the standard speeds range between 100-110kph, and that's only ~60-70mph.
      Well even if the increase isn't done most of the UK people go 100+mph *Whistles*

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by JakeS View Post
        Well even if the increase isn't done most of the UK people go 100+mph *Whistles*
        No most idiots go at 100mph, and those are the kind of idiots that cause the accidents, and get people killed.
        Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Dean C View Post
          No most idiots go at 100mph, and those are the kind of idiots that cause the accidents, and get people killed.
          Really? Well My mother has been driving for 21 years and hasn't had a single crash, she normally goes about 120.

          As for me, only place I've ever driven was on a banger racing track.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Dean C View Post
            No most idiots go at 100mph, and those are the kind of idiots that cause the accidents, and get people killed.
            Here's the thing, speed doesn't kill unless it's coupled with bad driving, sure it's still dangerous in that you could blow out a tyre but who's to say that won't happen at 70mph?

            Personally I think the speed limit on motorways should be scrapped and (even) more restrictions put on roads surrounding the likes of schools where it really will make a difference, otherwise it's just another money making scheme for the government. People who drive fast on the motorway shouldn't be hassled for driving fast, however people who endanger other people regardless of speed should.

            Just my personal view.
            Visit NoizPollution.com // Your Music Source

            Do not PM or email me for support, you will not receive a response. Please post all requests for support in the main vBulletin forums or via the support system in the main members section of the site.

            Comment


            • #7
              Indeed, Another thing is slow driving can be just as dangerous my father was driving at the correct speed and an old granny pulled out of a lane going 20mph and hit the side of his car, no speeding their.

              Crashes are caused by people who don't know how to drive to be quite sure, my mother goes over the speeding limit yes, shes been a driving instructor yes, she quit for a better job and due to back pain because of teaching people to drive and them hitting the breaks to heard yes, she has had crashes before through her fault NO.

              Comment


              • #8
                Why limit the speed at all? We have no speed limits in Germany and yet, driving in England is more dangerous.

                There are always idiots who drive fast, it doesn't matter wether there are limits or not.
                That's the end of that!

                Comment


                • #9
                  In the Netherlands we have either 100 or 120km/h

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    In denmark it's 110 or 130km/t
                    I normally drive between 140 and 160 km/t
                    My site
                    www.coolservice.dk

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      In the US it's usually assumed 55 mph if no signage is posted, although in most of CA 70-80 mph is tolerated.
                      Forums

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Quillz View Post
                        In the US it's usually assumed 55 mph if no signage is posted, although in most of CA 70-80 mph is tolerated.
                        Most freeways are 60-70 these days. I do know that the average speed on CA-HWY 14 is about 90 though. Even then the Highway Patrol will rarely pull you over unless you're a hazard to other drivers. Where I live, we even have some surface streets where it is posted at 60 MPH..
                        Translations provided by Google.

                        Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Noiz Pollution View Post
                          Here's the thing, speed doesn't kill unless it's coupled with bad driving, sure it's still dangerous in that you could blow out a tyre but who's to say that won't happen at 70mph?

                          Personally I think the speed limit on motorways should be scrapped and (even) more restrictions put on roads surrounding the likes of schools where it really will make a difference, otherwise it's just another money making scheme for the government. People who drive fast on the motorway shouldn't be hassled for driving fast, however people who endanger other people regardless of speed should.

                          Just my personal view.
                          Speed does kill, but I'll agree that bad driving is part of the problem. A good driver going at 80mph is likely to cause just as much damage as a bad driver going at 80mph when an "accident" occurs.
                          Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            In NYC, the speed limit is 50mph -- of course, when theres traffic, its really 5mph and when theres not its 70mph anyway.
                            Plan, Do, Check, Act!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I find it sad that German drivers have no maximum speed limit on the Autobahn (a maximum recommended speed limit, but they are not fined if they go over) and have less accidents than Americans who do have enforced speed limits - it's because Americans focus more on talking on the phone, eating breakfast, etc., where as Germans, and furthermore Europeans, focus on the road and the task at-hand, and don't let anything deter them from that. The EU has higher speed limits than that of Americans, too. I agree with this statement that Noiz Pollution made above:

                              People who drive fast on the motorway shouldn't be hassled for driving fast, however people who endanger other people regardless of speed should.
                              In India, their driving is incredible. They have an unbelievable amount of vehicles moving around each other, but they all do it in such a coordination that no one gets hurt - it's simply amazing. You can view a video of India driving here to get a glimpse of how amazing their coordination and working together is: http://youtube.com/watch?v=RjrEQaG5jPM
                              Last edited by bmc; Wed 28 Mar '07, 1:54pm.
                              The Relationship Forum
                              The Relationship Forum is the best online forum for getting advice and help about romantic and non-romantic relationships, dating and marriage advice, and love.

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X