No announcement yet.

Vista and url links opening in Firefox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista and url links opening in Firefox?

I've been really bugged by half my software on my computer opening links in IE7 instead of my DEFAULTED browser Firefox on Windows Vista (Ultimate). I've gotten one of my programs (Trillian) to open links correctly at this time but programs such as mIRC to no avail. Anyone figured this one out yet? I've been searching google like a mad man and can't find anything that will remotely work.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...be1931033.mspx
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Been there done that got the t-shirt. Doesn't work, still opening all links in mIRC to IE7 and it's making me a sad panda.

Comment

Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program..

.url Internet Shortcut, is set to firefox??
        MCSE, MVP, CCIE
        Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Maybe its hard coded into mIRC. I don't notice because IE7 is my default browser.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

No, you can set in mIRC which browser to load. Works perfectly fine on my Parallels. Just tested it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
              I've been really bugged by half my software on my computer opening links in IE7 instead of my DEFAULTED browser Firefox on Windows Vista (Ultimate). I've gotten one of my programs (Trillian) to open links correctly at this time but programs such as mIRC to no avail. Anyone figured this one out yet? I've been searching google like a mad man and can't find anything that will remotely work.
              Can I hijack the thread to ask how you changed the default browser Trillian uses? Mine on Vista still launches IE while my default browser is Opera.
              --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
              Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
              vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Easy you open text conversations in the preferences and uncheck the box at the bottom that says "Open links in a new browser window"

@floris: Where's the option to change it then? I swear I've gone up and down the options window and can't find anything to do it.

and Yes .url is set as Firefox.

Comment

I also have this problem with windows vista Ultimate - Home Premium - Home Basic, I just got used to copying the url from IE7 to Firefox, I think it might be Microsoft's way of getting you to use IE7 even after I have denied access to it it still opens sometimes.

Comment

But I don't want *ANYTHING* opening in IE7.

Comment

But I don't want *ANYTHING* opening in IE7.
                      Have you tried uninstalling IE7? also if it won't let you uninstall it simply delete its files, remove the registry keys and then click remove from add and remove programs and then it will say not found and remove it from the list.

Comment

Tell me when you find a uninstall IE7 button in Vista because as far as I've looked (first thing I did) it does not exist.

Comment

Tell me when you find a uninstall IE7 button in Vista because as far as I've looked (first thing I did) it does not exist.
                          No, it don/t exist for good reason..
                          It can/t be successfully re-installed on Vista..
                          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Good reason being: Trying to keep their monopoly?
                            Wasn't there some kind of ruling that said that you should be able to uninstall it as a program?

Comment

So Floris, you said there was a way to change it in mIRC?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X