Windows Home Server testing uncovers nearly 2,400 bugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Home Server testing uncovers nearly 2,400 bugs

Microsoft's Windows Home Server developers have been inundated with bug reports on the under-construction consumer server software, which -- when it was announced in January -- was expected to ship this summer.

There was no word today from Microsoft whether the necessary fixes would delay that planned release.

In an entry on the Home Server blog, program manager Chris Sullivan said that the group has received nearly 2,400 bug reports so far from beta testers, and still had 495, or about 21% of the total, classified as "active."

In Microsoft nomenclature, an active bug is one still under investigation, pending a response or waiting to be investigated.

"As you can see, we have our work cut out for us," said Sullivan.

Of the bugs that have been addressed, Sullivan said that only 15% have actually been fixed. The remainder are issues that are in the server by design (13%), not reproducible (21%), will be postponed to later versions (11%) or likely won't be fixed (7%).

Windows Home Server, which debuted at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES), will be Microsoft's first home-specific server software. In January, company executives said the software would ship before the back-to-school selling season starts in July and August, with a release to manufacturing deadline set for late June. The software, based primarily on Windows Server 2003 code, will connect to systems running Windows Vista and Windows XP for file sharing, media playing and backup; and to Mac OS X and Linux machines for file sharing.

Microsoft did not respond to a call asking for a status update on development, and whether the summer release schedule still holds.

source: computerworld.com

I declined to join the Home Server Beta team.
    I have way to much work already, and the installation itself is three DVD's..

Anyway, it is no surprise to me that it currently has that many bugs.
    It is only in Beta 2..
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund View Post
      I declined to join the Home Server Beta team.
      I have way to much work already, and the installation itself is three DVD's..

Anyway, it is no surprise to me that it currently has that many bugs.
      It is only in Beta 2..
      Three DVD's? wow that's alot

Comment

Originally posted by JakeS View Post
        Three DVD's? wow that's alot besides at least people like you get everything from Microsoft for free so you don't have to worry about being partner or joining beta teams lol.
        DVD 1 - Server Installation
        DVD 2 - Windows Home Server Connector Software
        DVD 3 - Home Computer Restore
        MCSE, MVP, CCIE
        Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

DVD 1 - Server Installation
          DVD 2 - Windows Home Server Connector Software
          DVD 3 - Home Computer Restore
          Why don't they just put it on 1 single 10GB dvd? or is it 3 x 10GB DVD's?

Comment

There DVD-5, 4.37 GB's..
            They put the software on DVD-5, as it is still the standard..
            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
            Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

There DVD-5, 4.37 GB's..
              O on the small dvd's why don't they put them on DVD 9's or blue-ray or something?

Comment

O on the small dvd's why don't they put them on DVD 9's or blue-ray or something?
                As said above..
                And will likely ship retail as DVD-5.

How can they assume that the entire beta team, and all future beta testers for Windows Home Server have DVD-9 or blue-ray disc?
                MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

As said above..
                  And will likely ship retail as DVD-5.

How can they assume that the entire beta team, and all future beta testers for Windows Home Server have DVD-9 or blue-ray disc?
                  Well I'm sure that with all the money Microsoft has they could ship the beta disks to the people if the people can't do it them self.

Comment

Well I'm sure that with all the money Microsoft has they could ship the beta disks to the people if the people can't do it them self.
                    The beta team is shipped the DVD's. Right now they/re in my stack pile of todo list beta disc's to have a look at..

Any beta tester's for Windows Home Server will also be shipped the beta 2 DVD's. Some likely already have the Disc's..

You might want to becareful what kind of questions you ask about Microsoft Beta Software.
                    We do sign NDA's monthly, and we can only talk about the software in a very restricted way...
                    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

The beta team is shipped the DVD's. Right now they/re in my stack pile of todo list beta disc's to have a look at..

Any beta tester's for Windows Home Server will also be shipped the beta 2 DVD's. Some likely already have the Disc's..

You might want to becareful what kind of questions you ask about Microsoft Beta Software.
                      We do sign NDA's monthly, and we can only talk about the software in a very restricted way...
                      Fine I'll stop posting in this thread if I can get sued for it.
                      Last edited by JakeS; Sat 24 Mar '07, 8:33am.

Comment

I don't think they have 10 GB DVDs. I think the largest you can get is a dual-layer 8 GB DVD.
                        Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Quillz View Post
                          I don't think they have 10 GB DVDs. I think the largest you can get is a dual-layer 8 GB DVD.
                          Well I knew what I meant.

Comment

Working...
                          X