Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft partner: Vista less secure than XP

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Microsoft partner: Vista less secure than XP

    Security company Kaspersky claimed that Vista's User Account Control (UAC), the system of user privileges that can be used to restrict users' administrative rights, will be so annoying that users will disable it.


    Natalya Kaspersky, the company's chief executive, said that without UAC, Vista will be less secure than Windows XP SP2. "There's a question mark if Vista security has improved, or has really dropped down," she said to our sister site ZDNet UK at the CeBIT show in Hanover last week.

    Kaspersky provides one of the scanning engines in ForeFront, Microsoft's business security product.

    Arno Edelmann, business security product manager for Microsoft, said that Kaspersky's claims were surprising. "We have a thriving community of partners, and Kasperky is one of our best partners," Edelmann told ZDNet UK. "I find their statements a little strange because they have one of the best insights into Microsoft security products."

    After being roundly criticised over its security strategy in the past, Microsoft has done a lot of work to improve its approach and has been touting Vista as its most secure operating system. But Kaspersky confirmed that her analysts had found five ways to bypass Vista's UAC, and that malware writers will find more security holes.

    Kaspersky also added her voice to Symantec and McAfee complaints that PatchGuard, designed to protect the Vista kernel, is hindering security companies' work.

    "PatchGuard doesn't allow legitimate security vendors to do what we used to do," said Kaspersky.

    Symantec has claimed that PatchGuard is hurting security vendors more than it was hurting malware writers. Bruce McCorkendale, a chief engineer at Symantec, said: "There are types of security policies and next-generation security products that can only work through some of the mechanisms that PatchGuard prohibits."

    Eugene Kaspersky, the company founder, said last Thursday that while vendors had to interact with Vista legitimately, hackers were under no such constraints.


    Good old vista

  • #2
    How can Vista be any less secure than WinXP SP2? At worst, it would be about the same. I don't get why people keep claiming that Vista is just a GUI... The kernel is completely different from XP, and built from the core of Server 2003.

    And oddly enough, just yesterday, Symantec came out with a report saying Vista is the most secure OS.
    Forums

    Comment


    • #3
      Sounds like a marketing technique to me. I mean Kapersky does sell/give-away security software.
      Translations provided by Google.

      Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

      Comment


      • #4
        Nice find

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Quillz View Post
          How can Vista be any less secure than WinXP SP2? At worst, it would be about the same. I don't get why people keep claiming that Vista is just a GUI... The kernel is completely different from XP, and built from the core of Server 2003.

          And oddly enough, just yesterday, Symantec came out with a report saying Vista is the most secure OS.
          did you read before posting?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JakeS View Post
            did you read before posting?
            Yes, and it's just Kaspersky complaining because they can't sell as many copies of their anti-virus now. People moan and complain that XP isn't secure enough, but then moan and complain when Microsoft makes Vista "too secure." PatchGuard is there for a reason, and Microsoft shouldn't have to change it because some random "security" company complain it's hurting their sales.
            Forums

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Quillz View Post
              Yes, and it's just Kaspersky complaining because they can't sell as many copies of their anti-virus now. People moan and complain that XP isn't secure enough, but then moan and complain when Microsoft makes Vista "too secure." PatchGuard is there for a reason, and Microsoft shouldn't have to change it because some random "security" company complain it's hurting their sales.
              either way I know that Vista is unsecure, I would post a video on how to hack into vista but then I'd be put in jail for hacking my test machine lol.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JakeS View Post
                either way I know that Vista is unsecure, I would post a video on how to hack into vista but then I'd be put in jail for hacking my test machine lol.
                You do come out with some crap somtimes Jake lol. You reall do!
                Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

                Comment


                • #9
                  Like Wayne Luke said, it is just a Marketing Technique.

                  Of course if you disable UAC it is going to be less secure, it is a security feature.
                  If you disable autoprotect on an anti-virus application, is it still as secure as it was before you disabled it??

                  Pretty basic..
                  MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                  Microsoft Beta Team

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Well if everyone thinks "Vista is secure all the time" Even tho its not then can a mod delete this?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by JakeS View Post
                      either way I know that Vista is unsecure, I would post a video on how to hack into vista but then I'd be put in jail for hacking my test machine lol.
                      You do come out with some crap sometimes Jake lol. You reall do!
                      Last edited by Dean C; Fri 23 Mar '07, 8:50am.
                      Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JakeS View Post
                        Well if everyone thinks "Vista is secure all the time" Even tho its not then can a mod delete this?
                        Anyone that thinks a computer that connects to the Internet is 100% secure is naive. However to state that Vista is unsecure because users can turn off a major security feature is also naive. Will there be holes? Probably. Every application and every computer connected to the Internet is at risk. It doesn't matter what the OS is.

                        What you do is minimize those risks. That Kapersky is upset that they can't sell more software and ride people's fear is a good thing, in my opinion. However I don't think that fits into your own distribution of F.U.D. and glaring hatred or jealousy of Microsoft's success.
                        Translations provided by Google.

                        Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

                        Comment

                        widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X