X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Hewitt
    replied
    Originally posted by traen View Post
    Your best bet is to ignore those kind of people entirely. If he's banned, why even talk to him at all? Block his email address and move on.
    I am doing, I haven't sent him any responses at all. I somewhat look forward to his rantings every day at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• traen
    replied
    Your best bet is to ignore those kind of people entirely. If he's banned, why even talk to him at all? Block his email address and move on.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Hewitt
    replied
    I'm having problems from a former member of my forum who was given a temporary ban for fighting, but that ban was made permanent because of the abusive email he sent to the moderators.

Now I'm getting abusive emails from him several times a day.

His main complaint is that forum members had a thread discussing this news article from The Telegraph in the UK
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-in-Chile.html

He complained it wasn't appropriate, and I agree and I removed the thread. However now he's posting me daily threats that since he has a copy of the thread he's going to expose me to unspecified people. But quite what for I don't know, I removed the thread, but of course now he claims I'm 'covering it up'.

I'm pretty sure he hasn't got a leg to stand on, but I wonder what can be done if he's determined to try to drag my name through the mud.

Leave a comment:

• carntheroos4eva
    replied
    Back to the topic.
    A couple of questions for the OP.
    Is the guy who is planning to sue you a member of your forum?
    If he is ban him because he is threatening you and make your forum private so that he can't see any of the posts.
    Did you talk to your local police? You could get an intervention order put on him.

Leave a comment:

• Shamil.
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
    Sorry Shamil, a 17 year old cannot be a "mathematician, chemist, biologist and physicist".
    Maybe a rephrase is in order, however, each cohort, by subject, is referred to by their studying field. That might need further clarification. Just leave it to what the textbook says as someone suitable for a course I am studying.

"For the student to be successful on this course, he or she must be a mathematician having studied mathematics at advanced level, in the least, as well as be a sound physicist; well versed with dynamic forces and sub-molecular matter."

The sentence in the biology textbook is obtuse, and really not something I want to share - it's that embarrassing.

It's pretty much the situation whereby a sanitation executive is a nicer way of saying a toilet cleaner.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by Shamil. View Post
    That's what you get when you cross a [A-Level further] mathematician, chemist, biologist and physicist - with a bit of attention of detail
    Sorry Shamil, a 17 year old cannot be a "mathematician, chemist, biologist and physicist".

Leave a comment:

• orillia
    replied
    Yep... we're just waiting for the demands now. Perhaps we can trade it for an oil tanker in Somali custody.

Leave a comment:

• ACLineman
    replied
    So I guess this thread has been officially "hi jacked"????

Leave a comment:

• Shamil.
    replied
    Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
    Pedant!
    That's what you get when you cross a [A-Level further] mathematician, chemist, biologist and physicist - with a bit of attention of detail

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    Originally posted by ACLineman View Post
    Get a lot of folks telling us to use the search feature. I was searching the topic and found this old thread. Maybe it was "dealt with" 4 yrs ago, but now I have the same concern. Nice to see the search feature is here. Kind of like a library for those who've been there, done that.
    Plus in 4 years maybe some new info and or litigation may have surfaced on the issue.
    I read some of the posts as giving advice to the OP - hence what I posted.

Originally posted by Shamil. View Post
    3 years and 4 months isn't that close to 4 years.
    Pedant!

Leave a comment:

• Shamil.
    replied
    I'm sure this has probably been long dealt with seeing as it was almost 4 years ago...
    3 years and 4 months isn't that close to 4 years.

Leave a comment:

• ACLineman
    replied
    I'm sure this has probably been long dealt with seeing as it was almost 4 years ago...
    Get a lot of folks telling us to use the search feature. I was searching the topic and found this old thread. Maybe it was "dealt with" 4 yrs ago, but now I have the same concern. Nice to see the search feature is here. Kind of like a library for those who've been there, done that.
    Plus in 4 years maybe some new info and or litigation may have surfaced on the issue.

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mark Hewitt
    replied
    In the UK it was established a long time ago in a case vs Demon Internet with newsgroup postings there. That they weren't liable for hosting defamatory comments as they were posted, however the subject of the comments got in touch with them and asked them to remove it, which they failed to do, at which point they *did* become jointly liable as the publisher as they were aware of the nature of what is posted.

Personally I would just remove it unless your forum is a tripadvisor style site which depends on such comments. I've had to remove threads for similar reasons before, and go through the process of blocking google bots from it to make sure it disappears from the google cache too!

Leave a comment:

• ACLineman
    replied
    Originally posted by rnmcd View Post
    You can get sued for that but I doubt the plantiff would win.

I thought this thread was talking about something more than a poster saying that something sucks. That's an opinion, and not likely to cause you to lose a lawsuit.

I was referring to copyright infringement or online threats. Now those can have you on the paying end of a lawsuit.
    No I think the thread starter was saying that the user posted a negative review of a hotel (basically saying it sucks)

Leave a comment: