Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Relevance to a 1 number difference in ip address?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relevance to a 1 number difference in ip address?

Greetings,

Let's say that someone from a smallish Island has an ip address of
    What is the significance of another member from that very same Island having and ip of:
    100.100.100.101?

Would this guy be 'in fact' the same person, or could there be a chance
    that someone living a few miles away could share such a close successive
    number?

I have someone on my site saying that he's not the same person I suspect him to be?

Thanks for the look!

It's easily possible that someone living a mile away has such a close number.
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

If you have any doubts, install this plugin

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=125871
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

It's possible that both 100.100.100.100 and 100.100.100.101 are IPs of a proxy bank for an ISP, so it is entirely possible that this is the same user. However, if it's a proxy, you could expect to see other people using these IP addresses too.

Alternatively, it could be a single person who owns a small IP range rather than a single IP (we have eight IP addresses allocated to our building here)

Comment

I guess it's probably a proxy bank?

Thanks for your responses, guys!

Comment

From the sounds of it, its likely a proxy bank..

Then it all depends, if the person is a dial-up user, their IP address can change each day and be very similiar to the IP address used on other days.

These days most users arent using dial-up, which is why it's more likely a proxy bank of IP's..

To know for sure you would have to lookup details on the actual IP..
            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
            Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Working...
            X