What do you know about subpoenas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rnmcd View Post
    The Sheriff's office has just above found me to serve the subpoena to me (they attempted to deliver it to a relative of mine).

When I am served the subpoena do I have to admit that I do own the website?

What website? ***cough** cough** lol
    www.yamaha-forum.net | www.exactservers.com | www.ducati-superbikes.com | www.suzuki-forums.net | www.diavel-forum.com

Comment

You will have to deal with this sooner or later. Any attempt to hide it would be considered obstruction of justice.
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Actually when they server you they could care less about anything you tell them... all they are conocerned with at that point is that you are the person on the subpoena.
        www.yamaha-forum.net | www.exactservers.com | www.ducati-superbikes.com | www.suzuki-forums.net | www.diavel-forum.com

Comment

Ok, the subpoena was delivered/served.

What happens if I don't do what it says?

It doesn't say anything about repercussions.

Comment

If you really received one in your mail (not email) then contact a lawyer asking what's the best step for you to take. None of us on this forum are legal agents that can't professionally help you.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
              If you really received one in your mail (not email) then contact a lawyer asking what's the best step for you to take. None of us on this forum are legal agents that can't professionally help you.
              But someone might have had some experience with this.

By the way, the subpoena is stating that all records related to the website be turned over to the Plaintiff by April 15.

Comment

You've then covered your butt .. a court asked you to provide the privacy details. You can now do this. If these people sue you for sharing privacy related info they won't win, because you were ordered by court to hand them over.

Comment

Here is part of what the subpoena says, "provide contact information for any posters that have made nasty comments about plaintiff."

How the heck to I decide what is nasty? I know you said contact a lawyer but I just wondered what other lay-people consider "nasty."

They must allow subpoenas to be issued to anyone that wants one served.

Comment

Here is part of what the subpoena says, "provide contact information for any posters that have made nasty comments about plaintiff."

How the heck to I decide what is nasty? I know you said contact a lawyer but I just wondered what other lay-people consider "nasty."

Was it actually given to you by the sheriffs office? Something about this doesn't sound quite right. I just don't think a lawyer would use something that open to interpretation...

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightPyro View Post
                      Was it actually given to you by the sheriffs office? Something about this doesn't sound quite right. I just don't think a lawyer would use something that open to interpretation...
                      Yes it was served by the Sheriff.

The plaintiff is representing herself. She is not well-educated. I do not say that to be mean--she is well-known in my town. She has sued the city administration at least 7 times in the last 5 years.

Comment

Yes it was served by the Sheriff.

The plaintiff is representing herself. She is not well-educated. I do not say that to be mean--she is well-known in my town. She has sued the city administration at least 7 times in the last 5 years.
                        Are you named as a defendent in this case?

Basically provide any documents and paperwork on posts related to the plantiff. Let them sort it out. Withholding information can be considered contempt of court because you are not following a court order.

Ok, the subpoena was delivered/served.

What happens if I don't do what it says?

It doesn't say anything about repercussions.
                        You will be held in contempt of court.
                        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

I am not a defendant.

I do appreciate everyone's assistance.

I feel, at this time, that I do want to protect the privacy of my users. They were kind enough to participate in my vbulletin forum so they deserve the opportunity to be anonymous as I had promised them.

I understand that I may be incarcerated.

Comment

If you are concerned about privacy, privacy laws only extend so far. You have a court order, a subpoena, demanding confidential information such a user identities. Therefore a judge has signed off on this saying there is reason to pursue to this matter, and that you are now obligated to provide information, without concern about breaching privacy laws.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X