No announcement yet.

vBulletin is not making any progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the link but I've looked at that before and it has more than I need.

I went ahead and purchased vbadvanced directory links add on.

Originally posted by 0ptima View Post
    Take a look at this free links directory at vb.org

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=119041
    DMCTalk.com forums - For DeLorean owners and enthusiasts.

Comment

Add myself to the list of users who thinks vB would be good to look at the big picture. It's not so much about adding features to vBulletin. I think it's coming out with fully supported fully integrated solutions that we can plug into vBulletin such as a gallery, blogging system, user profiles, cms or whatever.
      Stock Investment Newsletter | Golf Equipment

Comment

Okay People don't think the way I do heres my comment:

I know you all want a new release but you guys all get your hopes too high, what you got to realise is scripts like vbulletin don't just pop out of no were it takes time, so maybe instead of saying "where is it I want it now" you should say "I can wait."

Comment

Originally posted by JakeS View Post
          Okay People don't think the way I do heres my comment:

I know you all want a new release but you guys all get your hopes too high, what you got to realise is scripts like vbulletin don't just pop out of no were it takes time, so maybe instead of saying "where is it I want it now" you should say "I can wait."
          you seem to be misapprehending the theme of this thread. we don't want a new version. we want better communication. I want to know whether or not I am wasting my money when I purchase vBlogicles (hypothetically, of course) or whatnot because for all I know, Jesloft may be releasing a similar product tomorrow.

and if only I knew that something was coming, I'd patiently wait as long as it takes.

Comment

Originally posted by Greps View Post
            you seem to be misapprehending the theme of this thread. we don't want a new version. we want better communication. I want to know whether or not I am wasting my money when I purchase vBlogicles (hypothetically, of course) or whatnot because for all I know, Jesloft may be releasing a similar product tomorrow.

and if only I knew that something was coming, I'd patiently wait as long as it takes.
            but what if they say something was coming and cannot complete it because of certain circumstances you would be disappointed and annoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeS View Post
              but what if they say something was coming and cannot complete it because of certain circumstances you would be disappointed and annoyed.
              conditionals are endless, you know. it's possible to keep conjuring up excuses forever. and I can't think of any possible circumstance that would prevent Jelsoft from releasing a product after it has been announced.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeFlea View Post
                I’ve been a vbulletin owner and user for the past 3 years, and up to this point I have been a happy vbulletin owner and user.
                vBulletin 3.5 and 3.6 have come out in the last 3 years. If you didn't find them revolutionary, then you weren't paying attention.

Unfortunately, it’s hard these days – at least for me – to be immensely proud of the forum software I’ve elected to purchase
                Is there another forum software out there that you would be "prouder" of? vBulletin is the best. People switch from $10,000 software to vBulletin ($160) all the time. What does that tell you?

when I see so many FREE message boards popping up with features virtually comparable to vBulletin.
                It is not Jelsoft's fault that people are cloning (badly) the features of vBulletin. The reaction is not to add a bunch more features. The reaction is to make your features the most mature, well-written, best-tested features out there. Yes, if you do enough hacks, phpBB can have most of the features of vBulletin. And you'd still have thousands of people switching every month. It is because of the maturity of the software and the quality of the tech support.

A lot of people point to Invision PowerBoard (IPB) now having freebie Gallery, Blog, and a pitiful clone of MySpace profiles included. Yet people are still switching from IPB to vB. What does that tell you? That vB is a better forum with more mature features and with better support. Even if the feature sets were identical, if it is a headache to get things done on one forum and easy on the other, what are you going to do? vBulletin is the most stable, tested forum software out there.

The Gallery, Blog, etc. that IPB have slopped together are very limited in features. Just because you buy a computer and it comes with Microsoft Works, does that mean you have no need for Office? Of course not. It's basically a freebie to give the illusion of value. They are for entry level forum users, not someone wanting a full-featured website. Jelsoft is believed to be developing their own CMS. If they do it right, it will be on par with Joomla features-wise. That is really the standard to beat. It has a lot of problems such as no usergroup permissions, no content history, no hierarchy or depth of stories, but it is still the standard to beat.

Message boards will one day go the way of Usenet, especially in these modern times when even a zit-faced 12-year-old with no strong computer experience or a penny to their name can create, modify, and nurture a forum with a few simple clicks. They’re everywhere, and day by day, year by year, the novelty, the distinction, the brilliance of vBulletin relative to other message boards diminishes.
                Usenet went away because there was no control over it. It was primitive in many ways compared to forums. Can you please tell me what you think forums will be replaced with? I haven't seen anything that will take the place of forums.

What I’m trying to say is that I haven’t seen any groundbreaking features being retrofitted to vBulletin to separate itself from its competitors.
                You will notice that Jelsoft no longer announces new features. This is because the last time Jelsoft announced their new features, other forum software quickly threw together half-assed updates to their software with those same features. Jelsoft has had to choose secrecy to get a jump on the competition.

Where is the fabled official custom management system that was supposed to be released under the vB banner? What of the rumored blog system?
                CMS and Blog are not part of the forum, but separate products. A CMS was in development, I don't know what happened to it. There has been no announcement or hint that a Blog is in development, but most CMSes have Blog modules built-in, so one would go with the other.

The two things going for vBulletin, as I see them, are the customer support teams and the mod/hack community. And even the hack community hasn’t really been up to par in terms of quality of their mods and the releases since the release of 3.5.
                Funny, I have a completely different read on it. vBulletin 3 basically killed the mod community. The number of files contained in vBulletin tripled. Even the most minor modification required editing a dozen PHP files. No mod developer wanted to give their users a massive list of all these changes to make. So everyone just waited for vB3.5. vB3.5 added hooks which made it possible to amend vBulletin features without hacking. The XML and API support in vB3.5 and 3.6 have brought the mod community back from the brink. Also, vBulletin.org was poorly organized for several years which kept a lot of people away. It has subsequently been reorganized to a way that I think makes a lot of sense. Hopefully not too late.

I do know that even with the strides in vB3.5 and 3.6, it takes a lot more work to write and maintain a modification between version updates. Also, and I don't mean this as a dig, but some of the best mods were written by Andreas, who subsequently got hired by Jelsoft and is now doing his 2 years of compulsory service, and the future of those add-ons is now up-in-the-air.

Money isn’t an issue for me. I’m willing to buy the best board software available for my community, but it’s hard to spoil them with the best when joe shmoe next door has something that works just as well for free.
                I'd like to hear your list of forum software "for free" that you think compares favorably to vBulletin.
                Last edited by feldon23; Fri 9 Mar '07, 7:58am.

Comment

Originally posted by Giray View Post
                  In reading this thread, I asked myself which one of the statements stood out the most. Clearly, it's the notion of a need for some new groundbreaking. A user base likes to feel proud of a platform. Us Apple users are a perfect example. We love to brag.
                  That's a funny example since Mac OS X 10.5 adds very few features. Mac OS X has pretty much reached the limit of features that they can provide users. I am not saying this is a bad thing. It is a fantastic, stable, mature OS that provides people many ways to get to their data. So much so that Vista copied most of its features. But Mac OS X is reaching the limits of what can be done without starting from scratch, and I really don't see a reason to start from scratch since Mac OS X already caters to the needs of its users quite well.

Comment

Originally posted by Greps View Post
                    woah, community server looks real nice. it has a gallery, blogs, portal, email integration, news server, file server, etc. and all that has seamless integration and support by one company. a professional license also comes with a 5 domain license. sounds like quite a deal to me.
                    CommunityServer is also $300 plus $150 a year plus lots of extra charges like $300 if you want users to be able to sign in and stay signed in when using other ASP.NET applications you might write in Visual Basic.

Look, I am not saying that people in this thread don't have great ideas.

* We need a CMS that integrates fully with vBulletin.
                    * We really could use a Blog system that also full integrates with vBulletin.
                    * We could use LDAP or other authentication so that other software can be bridged with vB without brain surgery.
                    * I had hoped that the vBAdvanced Gallery would be purchased by Jelsoft and become a second product. PhotoPost's lawsuit made that impossible.

But the core forum product is solid. And based on the hints we have gotten about blurring the lines between Admins and Moderators, and the possibility of using more CSS which would make template mods less of a pain, I think we're in good hands as far as the forum software is concerned.

Even if vBulletin sponsored the development of a good CMS and fully supported its integration with vBulletin and provided the developers of it with advanced code so they can maintain compatibility and have new versions ready day-and-date with vBulletin releases, I think that would go a heck of a long way towards satisfying the folks here.

I have seen enough of Microsoft Sharepoint Services and Sharepoint Server to know that with the exception of vBulletin, the future of web applications is Microsoft. I hate to say that. I have been a PHP and MySQL fanatic for a long time now. But I just don't have the time to spend hundreds of hours to write code when I can build a fully database-driven web application in a week in VB, Sharepoint, Expressions, etc. that looks like I spent a year writing it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greps View Post
                      conditionals are endless, you know. it's possible to keep conjuring up excuses forever. and I can't think of any possible circumstance that would prevent Jelsoft from releasing a product after it has been announced.
                      Ummm... Say all the coders for CMS or what ever was to have a heart attack and die... they can't release it then.

Comment

• i can not answer , because till now i did not have any problems with v bulletin and im proud that i have chosen this forum hosting

Comment

• Usenet went away because there was no control over it.
                          I hear this all the time and it is false. Usenet was and still is very popular. It is the defacto standard that many people use to communicate with others. There are thousands more people on usenet everyday then most active forums combined.
                          charges like $300 if you want users to be able to sign in and stay signed in when using other ASP.NET applications you might write in Visual Basic.
                          This is also untrue. If you want to integrate logins to your community from other apps it can be done using standard rolls. Just look at the sdk to see how it's done. If you want to use passport authentication or to use Windows Authentication for all users then you need the addon. There are very few reasons why you would ever need the $300 addon.
                          I personally think CS is cheap in comparison to vbulletin. You get a license to run on 5 servers brand free. You get an all in one integrated solution for the price. Not to turn this into a which is better thread, but, I have to point that out.
                          Last edited by AWS; Fri 9 Mar '07, 1:46pm.
                          Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

• Jelsoft has chosen the software model of selling a lot of software at a small price. I absolutely receive my money's worth and more from my VB licenses. What I have never been able to understand however is why VB doesn't split the line like Community Server seems to be doing. I am in a similar position to AWS where performance suffers and it takes a lot of hacks etc to keep VB going with the number of users we are seeing.
                            Either the VB staff does not recognize that enterprise users (the BIG boards) would pay a heck of a lot more than 150 for an enterprise version of VB or they just aren't interested. I see that Community Servers Professional edition is 1500 dollars and with a few add on's you can get it to 4 or 5000 dollars.
                            People will pay that kind of money for a product and support that they feel are enterprise class.
                            What this all tells me is something I have believed for years. Jelsoft has made a conscious decision to make their money by selling a large quantity of software at a small price. There is nothing wrong with that business model.
                            Webmaster in charge of technical stuff and taking out the trash. www.disboards.com, www.wdwinfo.com
                            www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com and a few others I am forgetting!

Comment

• I fail to see that "lots of software" you're talking about, alexi. the only product Jelsoft are selling right now is vBulletin, and there is nothing to confirm or even hint that anything else is coming.

Comment

• Doesn't anyone consider Impex a product?
                                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X