X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by miladkk View Post
    hey guys take a look here:

Galleries:
    PhotoPost vBGallery (the best ever) http://www.photopost.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=113 (developer is Zachariah)
    PhotoPlog http://www.photoplog.com/ (developer is a moderator in vb.org)
    PhotoPost vBGallery is crap. it's buggy - I know of some bugs in it that have not been fixed for many months now - and almost no new features have been added for more than a year. which makes vBGallery an excellent choice for an amature startup, but using it on a somewhat big and serious site is absolutely out of question. oh, and the price was recently increased. I cannot even imagine what kind of crack it was that made them set a $99 pricetag on a product which is so bad. god, even IP.Gallery is $65, and it's stable, well-supported and is updated frequently.

PhotoPlog also has not been updated for quite a long time, lacks many features and has somewhat unintuitive interface.
    yeah. the keyword here is beta. while vBa Blogicles so far looks nothing like a blog and vBlogetin is more-or-less functional, they are still in beta stage.
    CMSPs:
    vBadvanced CMPS (free and the best ever) http://www.vbadvanced.com/products.p...roductinfo&p=4
    And there are many CMPSs in vb.org
    vBA CMPS is a portal. a portal, again, is only a solution for a startup, not a big site. even free scripts like WordPress could do a better job at being a CMS. oh, and it hasn't been updated in ages.

and I beg your pardon, what 'many CMPSs' are you talking about? I think you've confused vBulletin with IPB because it's IBP that has a lot of user-made CMS-like addons.

the only vBulletin-powered product that can come close to CMS functionality is vBCMS by vbdesigns.de, but the developer doesn't seem to care about any market but the German one, so, again, this is a poor option.
    Links Directories:
    vBadvanced Links Directory (nice and acceptable) http://www.vbadvanced.com/products.p...roductinfo&p=2
    the only stable, funcitonal and recently updated product in your list.

You have many choices, these are commercial products, and they are supported, so why don't you take a look at them? even some of these product are developed by members of vBulletin team here or there in vb.org
    and to me it seems that I have no choice at all. I think having a vBulletin forum today is as limiting as it can get. there are very, very few professional products out there with good vbulletin integration. there is almost no choice when it comes to choosing an addon for your forum, either because there is none or because the existing ones suck so much.

and as Floris was so keen to point out, "support staff members will only provide support for the Jelsoft products and services, not for third party applications", which means that Jelsoft won't help you if something gets bugged after you install a new mod.

Comment

hey guys take a look here:

Galleries:
      PhotoPost vBGallery (the best ever) http://www.photopost.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=113 (developer is Zachariah)
      PhotoPlog http://www.photoplog.com/ (developer is a moderator in vb.org)

Blogs:
      vBa Blogicles (beta) http://www.vbadvanced.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20354
      vBlogetin (beta) http://www.vblogetin.com/

CMSPs:
      vBadvanced CMPS (free and the best ever) http://www.vbadvanced.com/products.p...roductinfo&p=4
      And there are many CMPSs in vb.org

Links Directories:
      vBadvanced Links Directory (nice and acceptable) http://www.vbadvanced.com/products.p...roductinfo&p=2

You have many choices, these are commercial products, and they are supported, so why don't you take a look at them? even some of these product are developed by members of vBulletin team here or there in vb.org
      I actually have all of those.
      vBlogetin
      vBadvanced Links Directory
      vBa Blogicles
      vBadvanced CMPS
      Photopost Classifieds
      Photopost Gallery (not the vBadvanced one)
      vB Geek GARS
      vB Geek GAL
      Interspire Active KnowledgeBase
      Plus many free mods from vB.org

I'm not looking for vB to add / offer all of those, but a few would be nice.

Like I originally mentioned, between these products and the skins I have, it makes updates all but impossible.

I'm seriously evaluating Invision as they at least have several of the main ones, and it appears they are more likely to continue on the growth path and act like an industry leader, as compared to sitting back and watching. I'd prefer not to start over, but if it's what fits for me, well...
      Cliff
      PathLabTalk
      Square Wheels Cycling

Comment

I agree with a lot that has been said in the previous. Just for one example, I know many communities would benefit a lot from something like an integrated photo contest tool. I'm hiring a coder right now for nothing that I want comes close to that. Eventually a good database system properly storing information which is generated by the community would be nice, or to me a bigger improvement then most of the forum related gizmo's I'm really not using anyway. Jelsoft's scope ought ot be on broadering the product, not deepening it.

Comment

Originally posted by Greps View Post
          vBadvanced Links Directory-

the only stable, funcitonal and recently updated product in your list.
          Does this require vbadvanced to be installed or can this be purchased and installed separately?
          DMCTalk.com forums - For DeLorean owners and enthusiasts.

Comment

Originally posted by iardon View Post
            Does this require vbadvanced to be installed or can this be purchased and installed separately?
            Does not require the portal software.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
              Does not require the portal software.
              Thanks for the reply. I've looked into this and it's pretty much what I need. The only thing is what happens if Jelsoft comes out with their own links directory after I've installed the one by Vbadvanced and built it up? Will I be able to import?

I guess these are questions that will go unanswered.

Comment

I would imagine that Impex could be modified to support any future products as well as vBulletin.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

somehow I have troubles imagining Impex being able to import, for example, from vBlogetin to a possible future Jelsoft script. or vBGallery to Jelsoft's possible future gallery. Jelsoft are very unlikely to add such functionality by default, so again it will be up to users to create importers. which, again, means that any product you buy for vBulletin right now is potentially a waste of money because we have no idea about what's planned and what's not.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                    I would imagine that Impex could be modified to support any future products as well as vBulletin.
                    So, just to confirm. I can purchase and install Vbadvanced Links directory and when Jelsoft comes out with their own Links Directory, Impex will import all the data to Jelsoft's Links Directory product.

I just don't want to have a situation where I'm stuck and have to rebuild with Jelsoft's product since Jelsoft won't support third party products.

Comment

So, just to confirm. I can purchase and install Vbadvanced Links directory and when Jelsoft comes out with their own Links Directory, Impex will import all the data to Jelsoft's Links Directory product.

I just don't want to have a situation where I'm stuck and have to rebuild with Jelsoft's product since Jelsoft won't support third party products.
                      No, we can't confirm that at this time.
                      Best Regards
                      Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

That's not what he said. And he's not guaranteeing anything. Jelsoft's staff can't predict the future functionality of third party applications. In fact, as of now, they can't really predict whether their own soon-to-be released products will correspond with those third party applications.

Back to the original topic, I'm in the process of creating a new message board community, for troubled youths. I definitely want to purchase vBulletin for that site as well, but I want to see what's in the pipeline as far as future releases go, because I'm more than reluctant to establish another community on the foundation of third-party applications.
                        Last edited by OrangeFlea; Thu 8th Mar '07, 1:49pm.

Comment

Got it, thanks.

I'll probably just use VBadvanced Diretory Links add-on and hope for the best.

Comment

Unless it's something that would completely blow our socks off, I don't see any reason why they can't say something like "we're working on a gallery solution" or "we're in the internal testing stages for a CMS" - It's not going to give the competition any idea of what the hell your new product is going to feature, you'll create some buzz and excitement and you'll satisfy those of us who feel like we're outgrowing the vBulletin brand (as much as I'd hate to admit it).

I agree that it's unfair to ask for a bullet-pointed feature list of exactly what's coming and when X product will be here etc, etc... However, I don't think it's unfair to expect a little more communication. Your customers are the heart and soul of your (and any other) company, leaving them out in the cold not knowing what to expect isn't a wise move..

Comment

Got it, thanks.

I'll probably just use VBadvanced Diretory Links add-on and hope for the best.
                              Take a look at this free links directory at vb.org

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=119041

Comment

woah, community server looks real nice. it has a gallery, blogs, portal, email integration, news server, file server, etc. and all that has seamless integration and support by one company. a professional license also comes with a 5 domain license. sounds like quite a deal to me.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X