vBulletin is not making any progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Omri.L View Post
    While I do agree with the main subject, I must say that you are also kinda whiners. Yeah, so there are no extremely and exciting new features (I'm not sure what could possibly be invented), but where were you 3 monthes ago when they released VB3.6 and you were all like "vBulletin rocks" and "you could name it VB4 and we would not see the diffrence"? come on, give the developers a little credit - cause when a new flow is reported they immediatly rush to fix it and publish a new version, and also - i'm sure they are working on something new.
    I'm still using 3.5, and I wish I never upgraded to it, because a lot of the community's favorite mods haven't been remade since 3.0. I don't plan on spending more money on the renewal of my subscription until 4.0 (or at least something really big is included).

Comment

I think they do a good jop, but vBulletin will go die if they don't follow the new Web 2.0 wind.

I wish the best for vBulletin, because I love it.

Regards
      Syrian Medical Society - mi la do - My Hacks - vCharset converter - Projects Queue

I want to breathe the freedom, and to strew the mounts of nostalgia in your eyes.

Comment

I have, as many of you, been hoping that Jelsoft would let their devoted customer base in on their Roadmap for the next big release for vB but I must agree with the sentiment expressed in this thread. Jelsoft most likely does not want to lift the curtain on any planned/upcoming major feature changes as it will give a heads up to the competition.

The best route to go would be to wait until just prior to the planned release. Then blow the doors open and wow our collective pants off! That said, it would be cool if they gave us an idea as to what their tentative timetable is for the next major release...2007 - Q2, 3, 4 or not until 2008? This would atleast give some of hanger-ons a better idea of how to handle some upcoming projects.

Comment

Originally posted by bboy View Post
          Then blow the doors open and wow our collective pants off!
          It better have!

Comment

I think bboy has the right idea with the Q2, Q3 or Q4 release hints. Something like "we plan on releasing vB 4.0 Beta 1 near the end of Q3 2007, if all goes as planned" would be great.

I'm not whining about a lack of features or anything like that, I just want to know what they have up their sleeves. I almost didn't renew my license simply because there wasn't any plans that I was aware of - announced or hinted.

Comment

I agree with you, Brent, and I think bboy's idea is a good one as well.
              The Relationship Forum
              The Relationship Forum is the best online forum for getting advice and help about romantic and non-romantic relationships, dating and marriage advice, and love.

Comment

The hints are there. You just need to take time to find them.
                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

My main concern is performance. I'd rather see more time spent on increasing the performance than adding new features. Like for instance a search that doesn't bring your forum to it's knees when you get over a million posts. I'd love a more rapid adaption of new MySQL versions taking advantage of performance improvements. The less I have to spend on hardware to run my forum the happier I am.

Comment

Originally posted by BamaStangGuy View Post
                    My main concern is performance. I'd rather see more time spent on increasing the performance than adding new features. Like for instance a search that doesn't bring your forum to it's knees when you get over a million posts. I'd love a more rapid adaption of new MySQL versions taking advantage of performance improvements. The less I have to spend on hardware to run my forum the happier I am.
                    Well said. I'm afraid that we are preaching to the choir. Everyone clamors for more features and performance suffers when they are added. Maybe one day peformance will be more important than features. Those features are nice, but, once your community grows you have turn most of them off anyway.
                    Maybe they should release 2 products. One high performance for big forums and one feature packed for the others.
                    Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

If vBulletin disclosed everything it planned then it may discourage some people from renewing their $30 subscription or holding off. because they may realize it's not necessary to renew.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony89 View Post
                        If vBulletin disclosed everything it planned then it may discourage some people from renewing their $30 subscription or holding off. because they may realize it's not necessary to renew.
                        My licensed expired but I'm not going to renew until 3.7 or 4.0 comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by harmor View Post
                          My licensed expired but I'm not going to renew until 3.7 or 4.0 comes out.
                          I've renewed my license a few weeks ago, but I know I won't be doing it again if things stay as they are now.

Comment

Personally I think board admins should consider their target userbase when launching a new board having features enabled at that point which they know their users will use and enjoy but are also relevant to the subject matter.

I look at vb.org and see people releasing arcades and things which to me look like features for the hell of it. What's the point?

What I think the admin community needs is decent intergation with other popular software or Jelsoft's own answer to said software, like cms, blogging tools and picture/video galleries.

The problem I'm seeing is that Jelsoft already have such a complex bulletin board system that almost starting from scratch on another piece of software to integrate would make the new software look like crap in comparison ie. it's a big job to make something new to add to the stable.

Add these features to your site but only give the users what they need or if the demand for a certain functionality is high enough then include it. Your boards should be about the quality of the content and the discussions, not the fact you can play stupid games or have daft all-singing-all-dancing signatures with javascript effects and built in home movies.

Robert

PS. Phew!
                            Visit NoizPollution.com // Your Music Source

Do not PM or email me for support, you will not receive a response. Please post all requests for support in the main vBulletin forums or via the support system in the main members section of the site.

Comment

I don't install some of the stuff at VB.org because I know vbulletin won't support it. So I'd like an official photo gallery/blog/links directory add ons. Basically, supported add ons.

I just wish we could get more than just a snippet here and there from VB if these things are really going to happen.

I might be in the minority here, but I just don't think VB has anything up their sleeves. I'm pessimistic though.
                              DMCTalk.com forums - For DeLorean owners and enthusiasts.

Comment

vBulletin is the best bulletin board software in the market right now and I highly doubt anyone will bypass it. Seriously, I need more than 1 bulletin board (various websites) and I can't find anything to use in my 2nd website and neither have the money to get another owned license at the moment.

Seriously, vBulletin is the best at the moment, most professional, serious features and stable. IPB is full of security holes and is full of useless features like your profile almost being a myspace... When all you want is a few details about the user.

To be honest, vB has nothing to worry about, they are as fine as they can be.

Regards

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X