No announcement yet.

vBulletin is not making any progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those who missed it .. Kier posted an update earlier with some great information.

Comment

• Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
      Maybe they might have been better thinking, Let the other move on and add tons of features, and we'll keep marketing the same easy to use board and just concentrate on security. That way they would have targeted that niece market.
      Marketing? phpBB is free software. There is no marketing.

And it was high time that they do something. It took several code modifications to get phpBB up to a usuable level with some of the basic things people want like category mod, attachments, on-site avatars, etc.

You'll notice there was a management shakeup at the phpBB project right as phpBB 3 was being announced. I think there was a lot of resistance to coming out with a new version. And since the installed base of phpBB 2 is so large, I think there will continue to be support and security releases for it for many years to come.

Comment

• Originally posted by dreamer81 View Post
        The problem with unsupported mods and hacks, is that when vbulletin upgrade to a new version, all those mods and hacks has to be intalled all over. Specially templates! which is a pain in the ass.
        i love the way vbulletin is set-out, and the way it works. i always try build my sites around vbulletin. because its so user-friendly.. i just wish some of the mods where free.. lol

Comment

• Originally posted by martynjd View Post
          i love the way vbulletin is set-out, and the way it works. i always try build my sites around vbulletin. because its so user-friendly.. i just wish some of the mods where free.. lol
          There are hundreds of free mods at www.vbulletin.org.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

• well after reading this ENTIRE thread for the last 1.5-2 hours, every word in every post, i felt inclined to offer up my situation. i started off with phpBB2 and found a copy of VB on some P2P network. i had been running my site for less than 6 months, and i was a bit strapped for cash at the time. i researched VB information and decided that i wanted to try it with more than the test forum admin feature VB offered. As i could only work on it in my spare time and i was the only one doing it, i installed the product and meticulously went thru a lot of the features and options you could individually change and configure/customize.

i didnt like the fact that VB didnt have a trial version, but its pretty obvious why. after about a month of testing it out, etc, i decided that i was going to purchase the full licensed product because it was good for the site i was running. So after a while of just running a forum we decided to implement a photo gallery. we tried a few different ones and finally got a sponsership for the site who ended up paying for photopost (I believe) and the integration into VB was atrocious.

I then found a couple people who were more experienced at web applications than myself and brought them onboard on a volunteer status. Thats when we started realizing we needed much more than just a forum and a photo gallery to keep people interested and staying on the website. we did some looking around and checking into what other people were running. most of the bigger sites had VB and a few had photo galleries. We ran across one that was using VBA so we looked into that.

soon after deciding to implement VBA into the site, along with the photo gallery already in place, we started to grow constantly. As i live in AZ and the weather down here is 95% perfect for motorcycle riding year long, it seemed a wise choice. for over 2 years now we have consistently had a steady droll of users come and go. the site has pretty much stayed the same with a few minor changes here and there. a lot of hacks due to a bored coder and a lot of customization. overall, however, a good amjority of the members i call 'regulars' who are there daily, the site has continued to grow and flourish unexpectedly.

why the reason for this long lengthy story? simple really. i already had a thriving community of users. i wanted something better for them but didnt want to endanger the existing community because i wasnt familiar with the VB or addon software. after a brief (1 month or so) period of admin testing, i decided it would be a better investment than the free board/ community i was running. We previously ran PostNuke which was good to a point but eventually got completely phased out because blatantly, it sucks for that type of application.

so to conclude, (FINALLY) im not saying offer potential cutomers a trial version they can hack and steal or whatever. and the try it before you buy it on here is nice but it doesnt always work for everyone. however, if i was to buy VB with the CMPS, photo gallery, and a few other addons we have as options (As in install VB WITH / WITHOUT CMPS - install VB WITH / WITHOUT Photopost - Install VB WITH / WITHOUT both options.) im very sure there would have been no doubt in my mind that it was the effective solution i was looking for. a lot of that came with postnuke, and yes postnuke sucked. but i worked with what i had.

i am grateful for VBulletin and love all the potential customizations you can do with the addons. i hate the fact that VBA and photopost are separate from VB, and i personally think that if given the option to install VB with PP as an addon option at time of purchase, i would have done so. it jsut seems like for new people that installing everything at once as opposed to now and then, this would be an easier option especially if its what they are looking for. i also understand that VB with VBA isnt supported by VB staff, but if there is a CMS coming, my comment on that would be make it an option, and make it optionally installed along with the rest of the forum. And again, the same with any photogallery.

As posted above, like an a-la-carte option. i also agree that with initial purchases or upgrades / updates, this would be a huge incentive for CMS/photo gallery/blogger/whatever else for new AND existing owners to consider and you would most likely recieve greater feedback with this type of process and these types of options.

(Sorry this was so long and thanks for reading if you read the whole thing)
            When I was going up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasnt there again today. I wish, I wish he'd go away.
            -------------------------
            www.azsportbikes.org/forums

Comment

• Originally posted by r0xt4r View Post
              well after reading this ENTIRE thread for the last 1.5-2 hours, every word in every post, i felt inclined to offer up my situation. i started off with phpBB2 and found a copy of VB on some P2P network. i had been running my site for less than 6 months, and i was a bit strapped for cash at the time. i researched VB information and decided that i wanted to try it with more than the test forum admin feature VB offered. As i could only work on it in my spare time and i was the only one doing it, i installed the product and meticulously went thru a lot of the features and options you could individually change and configure/customize.

i didnt like the fact that VB didnt have a trial version, but its pretty obvious why. after about a month of testing it out, etc, i decided that i was going to purchase the full licensed product because it was good for the site i was running. So after a while of just running a forum we decided to implement a photo gallery. we tried a few different ones and finally got a sponsership for the site who ended up paying for photopost (I believe) and the integration into VB was atrocious.

I then found a couple people who were more experienced at web applications than myself and brought them onboard on a volunteer status. Thats when we started realizing we needed much more than just a forum and a photo gallery to keep people interested and staying on the website. we did some looking around and checking into what other people were running. most of the bigger sites had VB and a few had photo galleries. We ran across one that was using VBA so we looked into that.

soon after deciding to implement VBA into the site, along with the photo gallery already in place, we started to grow constantly. As i live in AZ and the weather down here is 95% perfect for motorcycle riding year long, it seemed a wise choice. for over 2 years now we have consistently had a steady droll of users come and go. the site has pretty much stayed the same with a few minor changes here and there. a lot of hacks due to a bored coder and a lot of customization. overall, however, a good amjority of the members i call 'regulars' who are there daily, the site has continued to grow and flourish unexpectedly.

why the reason for this long lengthy story? simple really. i already had a thriving community of users. i wanted something better for them but didnt want to endanger the existing community because i wasnt familiar with the VB or addon software. after a brief (1 month or so) period of admin testing, i decided it would be a better investment than the free board/ community i was running. We previously ran PostNuke which was good to a point but eventually got completely phased out because blatantly, it sucks for that type of application.

so to conclude, (FINALLY) im not saying offer potential cutomers a trial version they can hack and steal or whatever. and the try it before you buy it on here is nice but it doesnt always work for everyone. however, if i was to buy VB with the CMPS, photo gallery, and a few other addons we have as options (As in install VB WITH / WITHOUT CMPS - install VB WITH / WITHOUT Photopost - Install VB WITH / WITHOUT both options.) im very sure there would have been no doubt in my mind that it was the effective solution i was looking for. a lot of that came with postnuke, and yes postnuke sucked. but i worked with what i had.

i am grateful for VBulletin and love all the potential customizations you can do with the addons. i hate the fact that VBA and photopost are separate from VB, and i personally think that if given the option to install VB with PP as an addon option at time of purchase, i would have done so. it jsut seems like for new people that installing everything at once as opposed to now and then, this would be an easier option especially if its what they are looking for. i also understand that VB with VBA isnt supported by VB staff, but if there is a CMS coming, my comment on that would be make it an option, and make it optionally installed along with the rest of the forum. And again, the same with any photogallery.

As posted above, like an a-la-carte option. i also agree that with initial purchases or upgrades / updates, this would be a huge incentive for CMS/photo gallery/blogger/whatever else for new AND existing owners to consider and you would most likely recieve greater feedback with this type of process and these types of options.

(Sorry this was so long and thanks for reading if you read the whole thing)
              Hey, r0xt4r.

I tend to agree with your post, I hope that with the recent acquisition we'll see more official addons and perhaps some kind of package deals combining the various options.
              Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Honestly, I'm rather suprised to see this thread still going, let alone 470+ posts later.

Comment

• Originally posted by whitetigergrowl View Post
                  Honestly, I'm rather suprised to see this thread still going, let alone 470+ posts later.
                  Heh, I guess we've yet to see enough progress to sate our appetites.
                  Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Well more a problem with unsupported third party hacks from vB.org for example. Is you need to remember your buying vBulletin for a number of reasons, one of them because vBulletin is a very secure forum board.

When you start installing hacks from vB.org, that hack might have been created by a person who has introduced a number of security issues. Which kind of defeats the whole object really. Thats why it's always better to buy the official products, because you know they will be supported with each vBulletin upgrade, and security issues found will be fixed.

Comment

• Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
                      Well more a problem with unsupported third party hacks from vB.org for example. Is you have to remember your buying vBulletin for a number of reasons, one of them because vBulletin is a very secure forum board.

When you start installing hacks from vB.org, that hack might have been created by a person who has introduced a number of security issues. Which kind of defeats the whole object really. Thats why it's always better to buy the official products, because you know they will be supported with each vBulletin upgrade, and security issues found will be fixed.
                      I couldnt have said that any better!

Comment

• Remember "Flashchat" as a prime example, tons of boards got hacked because of that mod. It was patched later though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fusion View Post
                          Hey, r0xt4r.

I tend to agree with your post, I hope that with the recent acquisition we'll see more official addons and perhaps some kind of package deals combining the various options.
                          Dude do you really need to quote his whole post to say a three-liner
                          Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

• Aha! Another opportunity to offer a 'use of quotes' posting tip which I recommend to our members.

Sometimes it is helpful that a full quoted post (even one displayed in a previous post in the thread) be included in the email notification.
                            - to provide contextual reference to the quoted poster and/or any members subscribed to the thread,
                            - and when referencing an older thread incase the subscriber may have forgotten the context of the thread.

However the quoted portion can cause unnecessary clutter in the forum thread.

Therefore if you feel it is necessary to include the quote in with the email notification, after the post has been made, use the post Edit function and snip/shorten or remove the quoted portion.

Mark

Comment

• Originally posted by Dream View Post
                              Dude do you really need to quote his whole post to say a three-liner
                              Yes, just for you.
                              Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Originally posted by Fusion View Post
                                Yes, just for you.
                                LOL...
                                Peggy
                                ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X