vBulletin is not making any progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by alessio View Post
    phpBB3 is coming, powerful and with many features: very curious to know ...

what you think about?
    STILL no wysiwyg editor...

Comment

• Originally posted by antiekeradio View Post
      STILL no wysiwyg editor...
      Just an observation, but how many people have actually used the WYSIWYG editor in this thread ?

It's a nice to have (at best), and far from an essential.
      Hungry ?

Comment

• I use it all the time.

Comment

• It's alright, not the best.

Comment

• I use WYSIWYG all the time, and that's even with HTML turned on on my forum for Administrators (a feature that sorely needs to be added).

I am very happy to see Attachments in Private Messages as well as Drafts which are both great features that vBulletin should come with.

The default style of vBulletin looks great in my opinion, but I have never liked the buttons and I don't use them.
            The style of phpBB3 is very bland in my opinion.

Comment

• I have worked with some of these free boards and I found not only is vb cheap enough for me to afford on my disability, but it is also a lot easier to work with.
              SMF is a pain to deal with. Every time you want to add a mod you have to go into depth into the php and temp modification.
              I mean don't get me wrong Smf has a lot of the same features that vb does, compare the time you spend adding mods to smf and vbulletin.

I do agree vbulletin needs to come up with better ideas to advance into the future and I bet they are already thinking about that.

I would like to see vbulletin sort through some of these mods that are out there and integrate them into their basic software.

I like vbulletin software and I will stick with vbulletin.

Comment

• I personally don't think the vBulletin forum is lacking much at all to be honest, I think it's great. I own both IPB and vBulletin. And while both have there differences and Pro's and Cons when compared, I think vBulletin is a very powerful board indeed when it comes to it's features. I wouldn't even like to say which I would choose between the two. But probably vBulletin if I was pushed!

What I do think though is vB are lacking other official add-ons. If there had of been an official Gallery and Blog for vBulletin with support, I most likely would not have purchased IPB last week, which is the reason why I paid for it. because of the extras you can buy.

I really do think vBulletin need to get some add-ons released here, and I'm not talking about vB.org or vBadvanced. Or the Gallery photopost are selling. There all third party products
                Last edited by MRGTB; Tue 19th Jun '07, 12:41pm.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dream View Post
                  The permission system is a little complicated that's true, they tried to make it easier with permission bundles you can choose, like Standard Admin and Full Admin, but there are so many permission types that you wish you could just choose each option like vBulletin is.
                  A little complicated?! I hate phpBB3 and its permission system personally. I would never use it.

Comment

• I use a lot of phpBB forums, and I throw away (read merge) the ones that aren't doing so great, and get a license from vBulletin for the ones that seem to be picking up. It's a great way to get started with a community. But yes, I only use it because it's free and vBulletin has impex I personally wish it would be at least half of what vBulletin is. Not a fifth.

Comment

• I prefer using MyBB over phpbb. MyBB is very vB-ish and its a great way to start off I think. My writing forum used mybb and once I saved enough, bought a vB license.

Comment

• Oh man, don't even get me started on phpBB3. It has some nice features (yes, it was painful for me to say that), but all in all, it's...ugh! This is all IMO, of course, but I mean, after spending all of that time on development, they can't come out with anything better, and they are STILL only on RC1? If you want to talk about something not making any progress, take a good look at phpBB3.

Come on, people! phpBB has always been a simple, easy to use piece of software with a variety of customization options. Now, they decided to kick it up a notch with phpBB3...problem is, they took it a little bit too far.

MyBB, on the other hand, is a very nice (free) software package. It's packed with nice features, while not being bloated at the same time.

Chris

Comment

• If you ask me, that was always the apeal of phpbb, simple easy to use forum board. No nonsense!

I've used MyBB. It's a good free board with features to match IPB and vB. But I don't like the look of it though, and it always seems like BUG's are a problem over there and security issues. Nice board, but I'd be worried about getting hacked.

Comment

• Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
                            If you ask me, that was always the apeal of phpbb, simple easy to use forum board. No nonsense!
                            That is exactly my point, right there. phpBB has almost always been known for it's ease of use and simplicity. Why take a risky step forward by developing a newer version that's literally bloated with features (most of which are useless) and confusing?

Simply put, the people who have been with phpBB from the start will continue to stand by them (most likely), but the people who are just entering the world of phpBB3 are less likely to do the same.

Chris
                            Last edited by cemartin; Wed 20th Jun '07, 6:45pm.

Comment

• Originally posted by cemartin View Post
                              That is exactly my point, right there. phpBB has almost always been known for it's ease of use and simplicity. Why take a risky step forward by developing a newer version that's literally bloated with features (most of which are useless) and confusing?

Simply put, the people who have been with phpBB from the start will continue to stand by them (most likely), but the people who are just entering the world of phpBB3 are less likely to do the same.

Chris
                              I agree, because with the older ones people used it because it was quick and easy so they stood with it but I think with more features people are going to think "Oh no too much to upload I'm sticking with an older version" and it could also impact on loading times thus people are going to get annoyed with it and leave phpBB.

Comment

• I think to be fair to phpbb, they have seen the likes of MyBB and SMF come along with a lot more features. And also they have watched IPB and vBulletin move much further on. So it was only natural really they would move on also. But maybe thats there downfall.

Maybe they might have been better thinking, Let the other move on and add tons of features, and we'll keep marketing the same easy to use board and just concentrate on security. That way they would have targeted that niece market.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X