No announcement yet.

vBulletin is not making any progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allow attachments in private messages - Hack available at vBulletin.org for sometime now
    Allow username changes - Hack available at vBulletin.org for sometime now
    Limit editing time: Limits the time available to edit a private message not already delivered. Setting the value to 0 disables this behaviour. - Sounds new.
    Allow use of [FLASH] BBCode tag - Doable in the current vBulletin installation since 3.0. It's not in by default because of potential exploitation of Flash
    Allow print view in private messaging - Template mod. Nothing Big.
    Drafts - Clarify

Maximum height of an image/flash file in user signatures. - Image control already exists.
    Maximum signature image width/height - doesn't exist
    Maximum links in signature - doesn't exist

Password complexity
    Password length - Both exists somewhere in vBulletin.org. Andreas might have wrote it...
    Bot manager - Sounds new.
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Originally posted by ---MAD--- View Post
      Here are some:
      Allow attachments in private messages
      Allow username changes
      Limit editing time: Limits the time available to edit a private message not already delivered. Setting the value to 0 disables this behaviour.
      Allow use of [FLASH] BBCode tag
      Allow print view in private messaging
      Drafts
      Maximum height of an image/flash file in user signatures.
      Maximum signature image width/height
      Maximum links in signature
      Password complexity
      Password length
      Bot manager
      Thanks for posting the list, but apart from the password complexity feature, I wouldn't use any of the others (and could live without passC if I had to).

I used to test the water with a free applications first, and then upgrade to vB if the site took off, but now, if the site is to include a forum I go with vB from the start. Just makes things easier for me in the long run.
      What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

• Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
        Allow attachments in private messages - Hack available at vBulletin.org for sometime now
        Allow username changes - Hack available at vBulletin.org for sometime now
        Limit editing time: Limits the time available to edit a private message not already delivered. Setting the value to 0 disables this behaviour. - Sounds new.
        Allow use of [FLASH] BBCode tag - Doable in the current vBulletin installation since 3.0. It's not in by default because of potential exploitation of Flash
        Allow print view in private messaging - Template mod. Nothing Big.
        Drafts - Clarify

Maximum height of an image/flash file in user signatures. - Image control already exists.
        Maximum signature image width/height - doesn't exist
        Maximum links in signature - doesn't exist

Password complexity
        Password length - Both exists somewhere in vBulletin.org. Andreas might have wrote it...
        Bot manager - Sounds new.
        Some people don't like installing so many hacks because it decreases the boards security and sometimes its annoying when upgrading.

Comment

• One of the reasons that vBulletin does not offer any password complexity options, is because vBulletin doesn't sent unencrypted passwords to the server. It might be doable on the client side with some JS coding, but that would fail then if the browser does not support JS.
          Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
          Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

• Originally posted by OrangeFlea View Post
            I’ve been a vbulletin owner and user for the past 3 years, and up to this point I have been a happy vbulletin owner and user. Unfortunately, it’s hard these days – at least for me – to be immensely proud of the forum software I’ve elected to purchase (and re-purchase on an annual basis, albeit at a lesser fee) when I see so many FREE message boards popping up with features virtually comparable to vBulletin.

Message boards will one day go the way of Usenet, especially in these modern times when even a zit-faced 12-year-old with no strong computer experience or a penny to their name can create, modify, and nurture a forum with a few simple clicks. They’re everywhere, and day by day, year by year, the novelty, the distinction, the brilliance of vBulletin relative to other message boards diminishes.

What I’m trying to say is that I haven’t seen any groundbreaking features being retrofitted to vBulletin to separate itself from its competitors. Where is the fabled official custom management system that was supposed to be released under the vB banner? What of the rumored blog system?

The two things going for vBulletin, as I see them, are the customer support teams and the mod/hack community. And even the hack community hasn’t really been up to par in terms of quality of their mods and the releases since the release of 3.5.

Money isn’t an issue for me. I’m willing to buy the best board software available for my community, but it’s hard to spoil them with the best when joe shmoe next door has something that works just as well for free.
            I agree, I purchased this over invision forums a few years ago and NOW invision forums have a lot cooler options than vB. Like, text preview when highlighting the thread title in a forum, website preview when highlighting a link in a thread, things like that...

I know there is more because my buddy runs one and when I glance at his forum once a day I see things that make me go, "ooooo I want that!" lol

get your butt in gear guys! Goodness knows you got the $$ to pay some coders ;p

don't rely on these "mods" I find a lot of them are B quality and a lot of times the support is nill to none.

I still love vB though, nice and fast to use.
            Last edited by thenewuser; Thu 31 May '07, 3:36am.

Comment

• i care more for speed and server load thats why i never use hacks
              once you have a large vb forum running you will not care about more options/hacks
              you will care more about performance and server load
              so i wish the vb team would find way to make the next versions be more server friendly with way to reduce the load for big forums

Comment

• Originally posted by Marco van Herwaarden View Post
                One of the reasons that vBulletin does not offer any password complexity options, is because vBulletin doesn't sent unencrypted passwords to the server. It might be doable on the client side with some JS coding, but that would fail then if the browser does not support JS.
                If JS is off, fall back to PHP.
                Before the password is hashed, run through a function that checks if it contains over 8 characters, special characters, numbers, upper/lowercase alpha and return a value such as "weak, moderate or hard".

Based on what the lowest setting the admin sets, either allow or throw an error saying they need a password containing whatever.

Comment

• Originally posted by bmanz View Post
                  i care more for speed and server load thats why i never use hacks
                  once you have a large vb forum running you will not care about more options/hacks
                  you will care more about performance and server load
                  so i wish the vb team would find way to make the next versions be more server friendly with way to reduce the load for big forums
                  Any newer dedicated server can run a huge forum + streaming pics+video easily.

A shared server is another story. I have a shared forum w/ roughly 4k people a day on it and it's starting to slow down, this is w/ no hacks or video.

Comment

• Originally posted by thenewuser View Post
                    Any newer dedicated server can run a huge forum + streaming pics+video easily.

A shared server is another story. I have a shared forum w/ roughly 4k people a day on it and it's starting to slow down, this is w/ no hacks or video.
                    If you have a huge forum, 1 million + posts, 75,000 or more members, then you need more than one server unless of course you want the site to crawl.
                    Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

• I have been a happy vBulletin user for several years. It's a great piece of software.

However, I always thought that JelSoft is slow in adding new products and addons. They should have hired more talented developers (ex. from the mod community) so they could work on multiple products/addons at the same time, a long time ago.

But it's good that they are working on addons now, and have announced a few. The addons I most want to see are CMS and downloads database/manager.

Edit: I just checked out IPB's $50 downloads addon (example). Pretty well done, although it would be nice to show the popular files and latest files!
                      Last edited by Thunderfall; Sun 3 Jun '07, 10:34pm.
                      War is only fun when you are winning.

Comment

• Originally posted by AWS View Post
                        If you have a huge forum, 1 million + posts, 75,000 or more members, then you need more than one server unless of course you want the site to crawl.
                        That mostly depends on the amount of members online. Might have 75k members, but if only 250 are online you should do fine with even shared hosting sometimes.

Comment

• phpBB3 is coming, powerful and with many features: very curious to know ...

what you think about?
                          Last edited by alessio; Wed 6 Jun '07, 3:05pm.
                          Integrations of any CMS with vBulletin

Comment

• Wow, someone had a bad day.

Originally posted by OrangeFlea View Post
                            I’ve been a vbulletin owner and user for the past 3 years, and up to this point I have been a happy vbulletin owner and user. Unfortunately, it’s hard these days – at least for me – to be immensely proud of the forum software I’ve elected to purchase (and re-purchase on an annual basis, albeit at a lesser fee) when I see so many FREE message boards popping up with features virtually comparable to vBulletin.

Message boards will one day go the way of Usenet, especially in these modern times when even a zit-faced 12-year-old with no strong computer experience or a penny to their name can create, modify, and nurture a forum with a few simple clicks. They’re everywhere, and day by day, year by year, the novelty, the distinction, the brilliance of vBulletin relative to other message boards diminishes.

What I’m trying to say is that I haven’t seen any groundbreaking features being retrofitted to vBulletin to separate itself from its competitors. Where is the fabled official custom management system that was supposed to be released under the vB banner? What of the rumored blog system?

The two things going for vBulletin, as I see them, are the customer support teams and the mod/hack community. And even the hack community hasn’t really been up to par in terms of quality of their mods and the releases since the release of 3.5.

Money isn’t an issue for me. I’m willing to buy the best board software available for my community, but it’s hard to spoil them with the best when joe shmoe next door has something that works just as well for free.

Comment

• Originally posted by alessio View Post
                              phpBB3 is coming, powerful and with many features: very curious to know ...

what you think about?
                              I think they've made good headway with there new forum. I've noticed it's XHTML Strict. For a free board you can't argue about that.

But, I don't like the default look and rounded off style of the board. I know skins can be added to change that, but it would have been nice to have seen it straight out of the box looking a lot better with a lot more WOW factor for me. But each to there own style and looks eh.

But they have done a great job so far though. And it looks like there working on an official portal too from I can gather to go with it.

I have read a few people though complaining about the permission settings in the admin section though. A lot seem to think it way too over complicated. I've not test run it, so I can't comment about that!
                              Last edited by MRGTB; Wed 6 Jun '07, 5:43pm.

Comment

• The permission system is a little complicated that's true, they tried to make it easier with permission bundles you can choose, like Standard Admin and Full Admin, but there are so many permission types that you wish you could just choose each option like vBulletin is.
                                Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X