Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vBulletin is not making any progress

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by ---MAD--- View Post
    Yes (5000? Are there even 5000 features lol...), but vBulletin lacks some of the features phpbb has too. Install phpbb 3.0.0 rc1 and see how easy it is to set up and look at the features it has that vBulletin doesnt. You will notice quite a few very quickly . I am not saying phpbb is better than vBulletin, but I am saying it has developed quite a lot and its free software yet vBulletin is 160 dollars + 30 a year and its progressing very slowly with features people want a lot. We have no idea if vBulletin 4.0 is even half way done or anything like that.
    What features, specifically?
    My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
    vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

    Comment


    • I not intrested in bloat ware, so they throw in a few things and why are we talking about another competitors product? I have seen the admin panel and do not see how you can state that they are better and I see this thread going south, as you are comparing apples to oranges.

      It like a 2yr old that want this toy that toy and after a few days, does not even want to play with it again.

      Wheres the infraction system when you need it the most

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Mayers View Post
        Why don't you list what phpBB3 has that vBulletin 3.6 doesn't?
        Here are some:
        Allow attachments in private messages
        Allow username changes
        Limit editing time: Limits the time available to edit a private message not already delivered. Setting the value to 0 disables this behaviour.
        Allow use of [FLASH] BBCode tag
        Allow print view in private messaging
        Drafts
        Maximum height of an image/flash file in user signatures.
        Maximum signature image width/height
        Maximum links in signature
        Password complexity
        Password length
        Bot manager

        They are a few I noticed while looking in a few of the setting pages .
        Originally posted by Jose Amaral Rego View Post
        I have seen the admin panel and do not see how you can state that they are better and I see this thread going south, as you are comparing apples to oranges.

        It like a 2yr old that want this toy that toy and after a few days, does not even want to play with it again.
        I didn't say they are better, I said they have advanced much more (imo). I don't there it was necessary to say the last line, grow up. This is a discussion so we can say what we want to try and improve vBulletin .

        Remember this thread is about vBulletin not making any progress .

        I am not here to make this an arguement.

        Comment


        • Maximum height of an image/flash file in user signatures.
          Allow use of [FLASH] BBCode tag
          Are both possible by default, except for control of a flash file, and considerly how risky it is to allow flash....

          What exactly is a bot manager?

          Comment


          • That's why there's vbulletin.org. All features needn't be official.
            $post[signature]

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Zachery View Post
              Are both possible by default, except for control of a flash file, and considerly how risky it is to allow flash....

              What exactly is a bot manager?
              Controls what bots are allowed on or not I believe .

              @Mazinger - If that was the case, vBulletin developers can retire (other than for fixing bugs) and let others make plugins .

              Comment


              • Originally posted by ---MAD--- View Post
                Controls what bots are allowed on or not I believe .

                @Mazinger - If that was the case, vBulletin developers can retire (other than for fixing bugs) and let others make plugins .
                That can and usually is considered content cloaking, and it is the reason why we do not have suhc a feature.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                  That can and usually is considered content cloaking, and it is the reason why we do not have suhc a feature.
                  Whats content cloaking, if you don't mind explaining please .

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by ---MAD--- View Post
                    Whats content cloaking, if you don't mind explaining please .
                    SHowing one set of content to bots and another set to humans in order to improve your search engine indexing.

                    vBulletin has the ability to handle spiders as well though. It is in the spiders.xml file. We just don't make a user account for each bot because it is completely unnecessary.

                    Really, I just spend the last hour or so going through phpBB3 RC1. While it has a nice shiny exterior, it is missing a lot of usabilty features and managing your forums from Admin CP requires 3 times as many clicks. The fact that the "forum manager" only shows one level of forums at a time makes managing large boards very difficult. There are too many clicks to manage a groups permissions because of the use of tabs. And so forth.

                    I don't even know why there is a maintenance tab in the phpBB3 Admin CP. There is nothing to do with maintenance on it. You can't even repair your database, test why something isn't working or rebuild the database. You can back it up and restore it (if you can log in to begin with).

                    Their skins are more difficult to manage as well. There is a lot more non-standard code which will make it difficult for people unfamiliar with HTML to customize.

                    I also see that their captcha hasn't changed in the last 3 years. Most people converting from PHPBB3 to vBulletin are doing so because of its lack of spam control. Instead of being proactive, they are using the same captcha that is known to be cracked by every bot out there.

                    They may have a few features missing from vBulletin but their new version is comparable overall to vBulletin 3.0 in usefulness.
                    Translations provided by Google.

                    Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by ---MAD--- View Post

                      They are a few I noticed while looking in a few of the setting pages .
                      I didn't say they are better, I said they have advanced much more (imo). I don't there it was necessary to say the last line, grow up. This is a discussion so we can say what we want to try and improve vBulletin .

                      Remember this thread is about vBulletin not making any progress .

                      I am not here to make this an arguement.
                      You read it incorrectly and I will rephrase it. 'Bloat Ware!' Always asking for something that you like at the moment does not mean you will want it still at the end.

                      I do not want to see vBulletin go down that route and would rather see addons to admin, instead of stuffing it with FAB at the moment feature(s). I like it as-is now, except how the subscription is setup.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                        SHowing one set of content to bots and another set to humans in order to improve your search engine indexing.

                        vBulletin has the ability to handle spiders as well though. It is in the spiders.xml file. We just don't make a user account for each bot because it is completely unnecessary.

                        Really, I just spend the last hour or so going through phpBB3 RC1. While it has a nice shiny exterior, it is missing a lot of usabilty features and managing your forums from Admin CP requires 3 times as many clicks. The fact that the "forum manager" only shows one level of forums at a time makes managing large boards very difficult. There are too many clicks to manage a groups permissions because of the use of tabs. And so forth.

                        I don't even know why there is a maintenance tab in the phpBB3 Admin CP. There is nothing to do with maintenance on it. You can't even repair your database, test why something isn't working or rebuild the database. You can back it up and restore it (if you can log in to begin with).

                        Their skins are more difficult to manage as well. There is a lot more non-standard code which will make it difficult for people unfamiliar with HTML to customize.

                        I also see that their captcha hasn't changed in the last 3 years. Most people converting from PHPBB3 to vBulletin are doing so because of its lack of spam control. Instead of being proactive, they are using the same captcha that is known to be cracked by every bot out there.

                        They may have a few features missing from vBulletin but their new version is comparable overall to vBulletin 3.0 in usefulness.
                        Yeah I think subscription needs improving. For one, html markups should be in the subscription set up just like permissions are. So many forums have to create multiple usergroups to accompany different html markups for the same subscription. I have already posted this in the suggestion forum off course .

                        Yeah I known phpbb still has a far way to go but it is progressing at a reasonable rate for a free product. The vb permission system is quite annoying as well though . I have suggested that theres a page where you choose the usergroup and then have the list of forums below you can check to apply the permissions to. This would solve a lot of problems for big boards with lots of forums (30+). This would basically be the opposite to the current page where you choose which forum and then select the usergroups to apply the permissions to . I have posted this in the suggestion forum too off course.

                        @at the guy that posted above: No, some features you set once in admincp and thats all. You dont constantly change the feature's settings lol. Users use the features more often if you run a big forum, maybe smaller ones dont make as much advantage but vBulletin is aimed at medium to big forums .
                        Last edited by ---MAD---; Wed 30th May '07, 12:26pm.

                        Comment


                        • Reasonable? It only took them 5 years to go from phpbb2 to phpbb3 and they cought up to what we offered almost 3 years ago.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                            Reasonable? It only took them 5 years to go from phpbb2 to phpbb3 and they cought up to what we offered almost 3 years ago.
                            Its reasonable for free forum software as big like phpbb I would think.

                            Comment


                            • I'm currently running a forum with http://www.simplemachines.org/ and I must admit it's quite a decent piece of free forum software, much better than phpBB and easy to add skins (Simply upload the zip file). However, if the site i'm running it on does well, I will be upgrading to vBulletin.
                              [URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]Aviation Web[/URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Neal-UK View Post
                                I'm currently running a forum with http://www.simplemachines.org/ and I must admit it's quite a decent piece of free forum software, much better than phpBB and easy to add skins (Simply upload the zip file). However, if the site i'm running it on does well, I will be upgrading to vBulletin.
                                Yeah I have heard SMF are quite decent for free software as well. I don't like it much though.

                                Comment

                                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X