vBulletin is not making any progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DanaSoft View Post
    Free does not mean "better", it actually people have to keep their expectations lower.
    Never ever said or implied it. I was saying because its free, development tends to be slower.
    Originally posted by RvG View Post
    IP.Board 2.3.0 Coming Soon

We are in the process of testing IP.Board 2.3.0 on our company forums. This new release of IP.Board will not add many features but instead we are focusing on further enhancing the performance of our software. This will mean a great deal of speed improvement for our customers with very busy installations. Also included is a new help system in the Admin CP and other small improvements to the Admin area's usability. We are designing IP.Board with skinning and modifications in mind: most all skins and mods that worked in 2.2.x will also work in 2.3.0.

We will update you when we are closer to a release date for IP.Board 2.3.0.

Stay Up To Date

Always be sure to keep up to date on the latest version of our software. You can view if there are any updates and the latest new from IPS in your Admin CP when you first login. The current versions of all our released software are:
    IP.Board: 2.2.2
    IP.Blog: 1.3.2
    IP.Gallery: 2.1.2
    IP.Downloads: 1.1.2
    Also please check to see if you have installed the recent security update to IP.Board.

=========================================

I am getting jealous with these people.

I can see why. IPB seems to have more going on and also, because they announce stuff people can see what is going on. vBulletin has started to do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fusion View Post
      vB will reassert itself with their next major release (v4.0).
      Of course... I'm expecting great things from 4.0 too. But the problem is that the updates take way too long. By the time 4.0 comes out, other message board systems may have already gotten many more releases out there thus making 4.0 look a bit less amazing. And then once 4.0 finally does come out, it'll be ages again before any real updates come, while other board systems will keep their fast-paced release schedules.

I obviously hope to be proven wrong, but even my members seem to be getting a bit bored with the fact that there's never any new features or improvements on the board.
      Photography :: Bird Information and Help

Comment

• It doesn't matter who's first. Be it IPB, VB, PHPBB, SMF, etc. What matters is who does it best.

Comment

• Originally posted by whitetigergrowl View Post
          It doesn't matter who's first. Be it IPB, VB, PHPBB, SMF, etc. What matters is who does it best.
          Indeed.
          Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Originally posted by DanaSoft View Post
            Free does not mean "better", it actually people have to keep their expectations lower.
            It does not mean "worse" either. Many free open source projects are by far very much "better" than other commercial ones.
            You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tailfeathers View Post
              Of course... I'm expecting great things from 4.0 too. But the problem is that the updates take way too long. By the time 4.0 comes out, other message board systems may have already gotten many more releases out there thus making 4.0 look a bit less amazing. And then once 4.0 finally does come out, it'll be ages again before any real updates come, while other board systems will keep their fast-paced release schedules.

I obviously hope to be proven wrong, but even my members seem to be getting a bit bored with the fact that there's never any new features or improvements on the board.
              Yeah thats the problem.

Comment

I don't think that was the case here when vBulletin 3.5 came out. IPB was making huge leaps and bounds and people paniced. However, when 3.5 came out, it held its own weight and more. Features are more well thought out and it was quite clear that that regardless of what the competition did, vBulletin was still several steps ahead, even if they were slower and more secretive.
                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
                  I don't think that was the case here when vBulletin 3.5 came out. IPB was making huge leaps and bounds and people paniced. However, when 3.5 came out, it held its own weight and more. Features are more well thought out and it was quite clear that that regardless of what the competition did, vBulletin was still several steps ahead, even if they were slower and more secretive.
                  Yes, but a stable vb 4.0 wont be out until next year if not longer. Usually when they are working on a new major version hard core, they reply to suggestions etc .

Comment

• Originally posted by ---MAD--- View Post
                    Yes, but a stable vb 4.0 wont be out until next year if not longer. Usually when they are working on a new major version hard core, they reply to suggestions etc .
                    If I recalled correctly, vB4 has been in development for quite sometime...
                    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

It doesn't matter who's first. Be it IPB, VB, PHPBB, SMF, etc. What matters is who does it best.
                      Yes, but in that case it has to actually be done in the first place and actually see the light of day, or else there will be too many great features already released by others to try to keep up with and do better. Being so slowly also adds that problem -- that you're playing catch up the whole time instead of being the innovator.
                      Photography :: Bird Information and Help

Comment

• I wonder why you guys think vB4 is in development. Do we have any announcement of it?

Also, why there's so high expectancy of it? You don't know what features it would have

I can't think of a single reason you should wait for vB4 already.
                        Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

• Originally posted by Dream View Post
                          I wonder why you guys think vB4 is in development. Do we have any announcement of it?

Also, why there's so high expectancy of it? You don't know what features it would have

I can't think of a single reason you should wait for vB4 already.
                          There's been posts from the developers about what vBulletin 4 will be like, some features, etc. Nothing major, but there are post about it floating about.
                          Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

• I haven't seen those, my apologies.
                            Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

Yes, but in that case it has to actually be done in the first place and actually see the light of day, or else there will be too many great features already released by others to try to keep up with and do better. Being so slowly also adds that problem -- that you're playing catch up the whole time instead of being the innovator.
                              So, you would rather release products that have security issues, or are half baked THEN just keep bringing out updates to get it to do like what you wanted it to? That gives software a bad stigma if you do that. If you go by that mentality then Jelsoft/Vbulletin IS slow at making any progress and IS technically behind the competition. No CMS, No gallery, no download center, an admin cp thats missing critical features found in other forum software, an improved profile system, etc etc etc.

If people see that you are a bit slower at putting out products, but when they are put out they are of higher quality and may be more robust, more people will gravitate towards that product than the ones that come out first but are so full of problems they get a bad rep for putting out less than quality products.

Comment

So, you would rather release products that have security issues, or are half baked THEN just keep bringing out updates to get it to do like what you wanted it to? That gives software a bad stigma if you do that. If you go by that mentality then Jelsoft/Vbulletin IS slow at making any progress and IS technically behind the competition. No CMS, No gallery, no download center, an admin cp thats missing critical features found in other forum software, an improved profile system, etc etc etc.

If people see that you are a bit slower at putting out products, but when they are put out they are of higher quality and may be more robust, more people will gravitate towards that product than the ones that come out first but are so full of problems they get a bad rep for putting out less than quality products.
                                Very true indeed but it depends on how patience people are and what they use their forum for (ie if its for a business, they dont give 2 damns about features etc).

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X