vBulletin is not making any progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mazinger View Post
    I would say this value is inserted in the profile via Admin CP. Someone required she has at least one post - as It won't be v. nice when there's a modeator with 0 posts.
    It really doesn't matter how many posts she has. She is staff, not a forum moderator. There is a difference. It would be appreciated if you didn't spend all your time trying to pry in the staff member's personal lives.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
      It really doesn't matter how many posts she has. She is staff, not a forum moderator. There is a difference. It would be appreciated if you didn't spend all your time trying to pry in the staff member's personal lives.
      Sorry, I didn't know post count on vb.com is related to personal life.
      $post[signature]

Comment

• I'm a bit divided in this subject, I would like to see more speed in Jelsoft releases, but I would also like to see quality stuff.

I think he wasn't talking about support staff members, but more developers.

Is Andreas still a vB developer?
        Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

• Originally posted by Dream View Post
          I think he wasn't talking about support staff members, but more developers.
          Adding to support staff and moving some things away from the development team that they did before gives them more time to actually develop.

I am sure as development needs increase, we will bring on more developers as well. The company has grown in an appropriate manner since it started.

Wayne Luke

Comment

• Bit of a post hiccup there?
            Former endorsement revoked. You know the saying - one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel...

Comment

• What do I see? 4 posts?
              $post[signature]

Comment

• Fixed.

Wayne Luke

Comment

• Btw, Joomla has fantastic communication with its users. Obviously its much slower in development etc as its free open source software. Even though its not forum software, its still an example of online software communication etc .

Here are some pages that I think vBulletin should have:
                  http://dev.joomla.org/content/view/23/61/
                  http://dev.joomla.org/content/blogcategory/21/86/

And on the home page for the latest stable version they have a very detailed summary of each version they have released:
                  1.0.x Status
                  1.0.x Version Info
                  1.0.x Changelogs
                  1.0.x MD5 Checksums

I think if vBulletin was more open, people wouldn't make a huge fuss about things they dont manage. Because they are so secretive, people think that anything they say is definitely being done and will be done soon.

@Mazinger - Dont attack the staff personally, thats not very nice. This is a company, if people dont work, they dont keep their jobs .

Comment

• Two words...

Corporate sabotage.
                    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Originally posted by ---MAD--- View Post
                      Btw, Joomla has fantastic communication with its users. Obviously its much slower in development etc as its free open source software. Even though its not forum software, its still an example of online software communication etc .

Here are some pages that I think vBulletin should have:
                      http://dev.joomla.org/content/view/23/61/
                      http://dev.joomla.org/content/blogcategory/21/86/
                      To say that the near future of Joomla is anything but murky causes me to chuckle.

I've been watching the uncertainty of the Joomla 1.5 beta release with interest, concern, and exasperation at the same time. I think they did all the right things, but the result was just not revolutionary enough for either Joomla or 3rd party developers. When we do get an official release of Joomla 1.5, 1.6, or whatever they end up calling it, I am hopeful that it will be a great step forward and developers update their scripts to support it.

That is not to say Joomla 1.5/1.6 will do everything I want. It will still not have any sort of Usergroup Permissions (ACL) system built-in. This was a huge oversight, but much programming work has been done independently (this developer from the Google Summer of Code has subsequently joined the Joomla development team) and should see the light of day in 1.6 or 2.0.

The team has some great long term goals for 1.6 and/or 2.0, but 1.5 is going through the same kind of redefinition that vBulletin 3.0 went thru. At one point, the release of vBulletin 3.0 was imminent. Then it basically went back to the drawing board and rightfully so, as a lot of work needed to be done under the hood to make vBulletin what it is today. Joomla is going through the same pains right now.

Joomla users are now in sort of a holding pattern. There are nightly builds of Joomla which give a hint at what is coming, and it's quite different from the 1.5 we all downloaded in October.

Ambition is good. It's what made vBulletin 3.0 such a revolution over 2.x and I think cemented vBulletin as the best forum software out there.

I will say communication from the Joomla developers over the last 6 months has been pretty sparse. Just enough to keep us going, but not a complete roadmap of how much work has been done SINCE the beta and what they seek to accomplish with it.

Comment

• http://dev.joomla.org/content/blogcategory/21/86/

That page doesn't show that much information actually.
                        We have something similar here though: http://members.vbulletin.com/changelog.php
                        Best Regards
                        Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
                          To say that the near future of Joomla is anything but murky causes me to chuckle.

I've been watching the uncertainty of the Joomla 1.5 beta release with interest, concern, and exasperation at the same time. I think they did all the right things, but the result was just not revolutionary enough for either Joomla or 3rd party developers. When we do get an official release of Joomla 1.5, 1.6, or whatever they end up calling it, I am hopeful that it will be a great step forward and developers update their scripts to support it.

That is not to say Joomla 1.5/1.6 will do everything I want. It will still not have any sort of Usergroup Permissions (ACL) system built-in. This was a huge oversight, but much programming work has been done independently (this developer from the Google Summer of Code has subsequently joined the Joomla development team) and should see the light of day in 1.6 or 2.0.

The team has some great long term goals for 1.6 and/or 2.0, but 1.5 is going through the same kind of redefinition that vBulletin 3.0 went thru. At one point, the release of vBulletin 3.0 was imminent. Then it basically went back to the drawing board and rightfully so, as a lot of work needed to be done under the hood to make vBulletin what it is today. Joomla is going through the same pains right now.

Joomla users are now in sort of a holding pattern. There are nightly builds of Joomla which give a hint at what is coming, and it's quite different from the 1.5 we all downloaded in October.

Ambition is good. It's what made vBulletin 3.0 such a revolution over 2.x and I think cemented vBulletin as the best forum software out there.

I will say communication from the Joomla developers over the last 6 months has been pretty sparse. Just enough to keep us going, but not a complete roadmap of how much work has been done SINCE the beta and what they seek to accomplish with it.
                          Joomla has a usergroup thing (a plugin). You also need to remember Joomla is free .

Comment

• Free does not mean "better", it actually people have to keep their expectations lower.

Comment

• IPB again...

IP.Board 2.3.0 Coming Soon

We are in the process of testing IP.Board 2.3.0 on our company forums. This new release of IP.Board will not add many features but instead we are focusing on further enhancing the performance of our software. This will mean a great deal of speed improvement for our customers with very busy installations. Also included is a new help system in the Admin CP and other small improvements to the Admin area's usability. We are designing IP.Board with skinning and modifications in mind: most all skins and mods that worked in 2.2.x will also work in 2.3.0.

We will update you when we are closer to a release date for IP.Board 2.3.0.

Stay Up To Date

Always be sure to keep up to date on the latest version of our software. You can view if there are any updates and the latest new from IPS in your Admin CP when you first login. The current versions of all our released software are:
                              IP.Board: 2.2.2
                              IP.Blog: 1.3.2
                              IP.Gallery: 2.1.2
                              IP.Downloads: 1.1.2
                              Also please check to see if you have installed the recent security update to IP.Board.

=========================================

I am getting jealous with these people.

Last edited by RvG; Fri 4th May '07, 5:48am.

Comment

• vB will reassert itself with their next major release (v4.0).
                                How do I know? History holds the proof, and as we all know, history tends to repeat itself.
                                Toddler from Hell

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X