No announcement yet.

vBulletin is not making any progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I ALWAYS have seen, and continue to have seen Vbulletin as a powerful, stable forum software, not a different kind of forum softwar, or innovative.

What I don't like about it, is that it downgrades some features from time to time. For example, since VB3.5.x begun, there has been this AJAX enabled [quick] reputation system, but then, when 3.5.6 got released, a forum upgraded to that version, it went back to popping up an entirely new "page" JUST to enter comments and approve the reputation.

Comment

• I think vBulletin should make vBulletin files so big that it takes 5 days to upload to some ones server on an average 2006-7 connection, would be funny to see how many people say "How do I downgrade their is too many feature's I'm too confused" lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by JakeS View Post
        I think vBulletin should make vBulletin files so big that it takes 5 days to upload to some ones server on an average 2006-7 connection, would be funny to see how many people say "How do I downgrade their is too many feature's I'm too confused" lol.
        Don't see how thats funny or relevant tbh.

Comment

• Originally posted by ---MAD--- View Post
          Don't see how thats funny or relevant tbh.
          It would be funny because it would stop people saying "We want more" instead they'll say "you have to much"

Comment

• Originally posted by JakeS View Post
            It would be funny because it would stop people saying "We want more" instead they'll say "you have to much"
            I think you will need about 2000 more features before the files become that big :P. Text files don't grow very quickly .

Comment

• Okay, all I've got to say is this.

Over the past year, since I started Wolf Den Productions, I've tried several CMS's/forums/galleries. I tried Mambo/Joomla, but couldn't get used to the way it worked. I tried SMF/Dragonfly/PHP-Fusion and absolutely did not like the user interface, admin interface...pretty much everything about it.

I'm quite happy with vBulletin. I've been a vB user on several forums (3dscifi.com, scifi-meshes.com, 3d-palace.com to name a few) and have been very impressed with the performance, stability, and overall user interface. I'm quite happy with the idea of actually purchasing a quality product, instead of dealing with unstable, unusable software. vBulletin was the easiest forum to install, and I am quite happy with it. Jelsoft definitely captured me as a loyal customer and user, and I will stay with Jelsoft as long as Wolf Den Productions is a viable entity.

So, all you naysayers.....:P:P:P

Comment

I think you will need about 2000 more features before the files become that big :P. Text files don't grow very quickly .
                Yes, but you could use programs to trick the file size.

Comment

• Get back on topic please.
                  Best Regards
                  Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• many apologies

Comment

• Originally posted by Malach View Post
                      many apologies
                      I think he was referring to me.

This will be my last post in this thread as I don't want to make it get locked.

Comment

• I think that for any growing community, blogs and a gallery are a must today. Not that I'm particularly fond of either as they generally appear online, but as was pointed out in this thread before, the people demand them. They like them and they use them - a lot. A considerable part of any site manager's job is to see what people like and expand on that. So being able to offer them blogs and picture galleries in our own community makes it considerably easier to keep them attached to the site, because especially blogs are something that keeps people coming back to them day after day. Few things you can do on a message board will keep the majority of people coming back that often.

Picture galleries are also a big hit everywhere - I guess most people have exhibitionists tendencies. I don't, but I'm not so stupid that I'd allow my own prejudices get in the way of adding features to my boards that I know others will like.

I've been planning a switch to vB for a long time, but for several reasons haven't been able to switch yet (though I am in the process of doing so currently). Adding Photopost to vB as soon as I install the board was on my to-do list. Now that I hear that Jelsoft is (probably) coming up with a gallery add-on, I'll rather wait a while and buy that, when (if) it becomes available. The same goes for the blog add-on. I'll always prefer to pay Jelsoft for such add-ons because I know that they'll integrate them with vB the best (and for other obvious reasons).

That said, with the switch to vB, I'd like to integrate it fully into my website as well. So I'd need a CMS. Same story as above - I want Jelsoft to make it.

So, the bottom line is, if Jelsoft had blog, gallery and CMS add-ons out today, I'd buy the lot along with vB. Simple as that - and I believe there are many more people out there who would do the same.

The faster the blog, gallery and CMS add-ons are put up for sale by Jelsoft, the faster they'll get my money. I, too, was surprised to see the whole suite by IPB... Jelsoft needs to catch up, and fast.

P.S.

* I had hoped that the vBAdvanced Gallery would be purchased by Jelsoft and become a second product. PhotoPost's lawsuit made that impossible.
                        I saw someone post that a few pages back... can anyone shortly elaborate on the lawsuit? It's got me curious...
                        Former endorsement revoked. You know the saying - one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel...

Comment

• Originally posted by Gladius View Post
                          Now that I hear that Jelsoft is (probably) coming up with a gallery add-on,
                          There's no official announcement by Jelsoft that they are making a Gallery, in case you read somewhere that they are.

I too would be curious to know why Photopost made a lawsuit against vba gallery.

I'm using photoplog btw which is pretty good, does everything I wanted a gallery to do. Didn't check vba gallery out.
                          Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

• Yea, I know that there's been no official announcement yet, but considering how often the holy trinity of "gallery, blog and CMS" has been thrown around as major requests (and considering that the competition has them), Jelsoft would be foolish not to try to catch up. Not to mention that in general where there's a a clear market demand, ignoring it will only mean that someone else who will provide what the market dictates will pocket the money that Jelsoft otherwise could. So, clearly, it is in Jelsoft's best interest to wheel out the holy trinity pretty fast, as I can see no real reason why they shouldn't be expanding in that direction.

As for Photoplog and the rest - definitely worth checking out, sure. I'd rather pay Jelsoft and get an official tie-in, but if it means waiting for another 2 years for Jelsoft to deliver, well, I can't afford such a delay, so I'll be looking at unofficial products. I truly hope that Jelsoft is planning all these new add-ons with a maximum delay of 6 months between releases.

I don't think that Project Tools will be that widely used considering that most serious setups already use dedicated project management software, but I'm sure that if they saw JIRA or similar products, it was a natural decision to get vB somewhere near that level of usefulness for project management.
                            Last edited by Gladius; Sun 29 Apr '07, 4:19pm.
                            Former endorsement revoked. You know the saying - one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel...

Comment

• Well, the two features that I would like to see vB supported are an image gallery and a download add-on. I'm running a 3D artwork forum/website and one of the things we like to do are post images of our final work and to be able to disseminate our 3D models as well. Yes, I could do a work-around for the downloads, i.e. just create a subforum and create a thread for each mesh, but *shrugs* it'd be nice to have a download manager.

That's just MY .02...do with it what you will.

Comment

Not to mention the fact that both invision and phpbb both have revamped their admincp. Both of them have a very inviting admincp that you just want to be in all day and I am not shocked at all that vBulletin hasn't had that change yet and that it is going to be last to have it.
                                Let's crossed our fingers... who knows one day they might gonna be.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X