vBulletin is not making any progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dreamer81 View Post
    The problem with unsupported mods and hacks, is that when vbulletin upgrade to a new version, all those mods and hacks has to be intalled all over. Specially templates! which is a pain in the ass.
    Thats why you use them at your own discretion

Comment

Message boards will one day go the way of Usenet
      And what way is that?
      I can tell you are not a Usenet user. Usenet is as popular now, proabably more so, than it ever was.
      We can only hope message boards have such a long lasting and popular effect.
      Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
        Suprised you think that way.
        oh, that's just a thought. I've never even thought about about swithing to any other forum system (yet), nor shall I ever plan to do it. I was just implyting that the op may be partially right and now that we're in 2007, vBulletin as it is maybe quite a bit behind in community-related functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by Greps View Post
          oh, that's just a thought. I've never even thought about about swithing to any other forum system (yet), nor shall I ever plan to do it. I was just implyting that the op may be partially right and now that we're in 2007, vBulletin as it is maybe quite a bit behind in community-related functionality.
          I'd have to agree with you. I don't know if IPS has been gaining customers or not, but you have to admit that they are doing things right, in not just offering a bulletin board, but an entire community suite, including a blog, gallery and an upcoming content management system.
          Forums

Comment

I am slowly migrating from vbulletin to community server. The beta of CS 2007 really is sweet. I run it on my dev server. Run 2.1 live
            It kicks vbulletin butt in performance on Windows although the performance gain I attribute to php/mysql and not vbulletin. MSSQL/.Net is more robust.

Comment

AWS, are you going migrate all your boards?

Comment

I would like to see more products from Jelsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by 0ptima View Post
                  I would like to see more products from Jelsoft.
                  I'm sure there will be, in due time.
                  Forums

Comment

My 2c, and just my opinion.

I really dislike the way that Vbulletin inform us users about future plans or about future development. Shielded by saying that "someone else might steal the ideas" and by saying that "we cannot promise a release date" almost no information, no milestones, no future plans are made public, my impression? That they don't even exist. Even if they do, if I can't read them, it's the same as if you don't have a planning and a goal in mind.

Why do I dislike it? Because I cannot rely on vbulletin, I cannot do planning on my site. I do a yearly planning on my website, but Vbulletin... just doesn't help. I know I can count on the current vbulletin version to be ready and available (I am using it), and i can deploy a forum with that, but..

If I want to add a blog to my site, I don't know if I should wait for vbulletin, hire a programmer to develop one, or buy a ready-to-use commercial software, If I want to add a gallery, the same, If I want to add enterprise features, I don't know if a more advanced, like ldap, authentication option will be available, i don't know if vbulletin is working on a cms system... I don't know If the only thing I should expect from vbulletin is a couple of more features for the forum, and nothing else.

So, I want to do a yearly and long-term planning for my site, and the lack of information about vbulletin doesn't help a bit. I'd rather move to a product in which I know what to expect than in 3 months... ups, vbulletin announced v4 with features I want, redo all the planning and budget!

My impression is that vbulletin doesn't care about my business. I need information about what to expect from the product.

I am getting a reliable product, yes. I am getting support, yes, although I rarely use it after using a forum for 8 years, I get a great modding community, yes. Although.. I'm sorry, I want more, and I don't mind to pay for it. Vbulletin is slowly moving away from the solution my forum needs, and is staying in the the "hobbie/new forum" area. I just cannot longer trust vbulletin for further growing my community.
                    CemZoo Wiki - The complete anime encyclopedia
                    CemZoo Foros - Spanish Anime & Gaming Community (also browse our archive)

Comment

In reading this thread, I asked myself which one of the statements stood out the most. Clearly, it's the notion of a need for some new groundbreaking. A user base likes to feel proud of a platform. Us Apple users are a perfect example. We love to brag. It also keeps us buying more. I have four vBulletin licenses. The application is great the updates are pertinent. But if I had to give the Jelsoft management team advice - if I was asked - I would highly recommend giving the clients - us - a major new development. Not sure what, but as an owner, I know that I like the feeling instilled by novelty. As they say, my 2ยข worth.
                      Cause change

Comment

I like vBulletin because it's stable, and I have had very few problems with it. But I agree, there really isn't anything new and flashy added recently. Then again, I've been using it since 1.1.3, so maybe I'm expecting too big of a change.

I really would like to see support for other databases. I've considered switching just for my hatred of MySQL.
                        The Wiire

Comment

Originally posted by gekko View Post
                          I like vBulletin because it's stable, and I have had very few problems with it. But I agree, there really isn't anything new and flashy added recently. Then again, I've been using it since 1.1.3, so maybe I'm expecting too big of a change.

I really would like to see support for other databases. I've considered switching just for my hatred of MySQL.
                          You give me the impression you're running vBulletin, but you're currently showing up unlicensed on our forums. Please go into the members' area and set yourself up for priority support so you show up as licensed on our forums. Otherwise we'd have to assume otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by kentaurus View Post
                            My 2c, and just my opinion.

I really dislike the way that Vbulletin inform us users about future plans or about future development. Shielded by saying that "someone else might steal the ideas" and by saying that "we cannot promise a release date" almost no information, no milestones, no future plans are made public, my impression? That they don't even exist. Even if they do, if I can't read them, it's the same as if you don't have a planning and a goal in mind.

Why do I dislike it? Because I cannot rely on vbulletin, I cannot do planning on my site. I do a yearly planning on my website, but Vbulletin... just doesn't help. I know I can count on the current vbulletin version to be ready and available (I am using it), and i can deploy a forum with that, but..

If I want to add a blog to my site, I don't know if I should wait for vbulletin, hire a programmer to develop one, or buy a ready-to-use commercial software, If I want to add a gallery, the same, If I want to add enterprise features, I don't know if a more advanced, like ldap, authentication option will be available, i don't know if vbulletin is working on a cms system... I don't know If the only thing I should expect from vbulletin is a couple of more features for the forum, and nothing else.

So, I want to do a yearly and long-term planning for my site, and the lack of information about vbulletin doesn't help a bit. I'd rather move to a product in which I know what to expect than in 3 months... ups, vbulletin announced v4 with features I want, redo all the planning and budget!

My impression is that vbulletin doesn't care about my business. I need information about what to expect from the product.

I am getting a reliable product, yes. I am getting support, yes, although I rarely use it after using a forum for 8 years, I get a great modding community, yes. Although.. I'm sorry, I want more, and I don't mind to pay for it. Vbulletin is slowly moving away from the solution my forum needs, and is staying in the the "hobbie/new forum" area. I just cannot longer trust vbulletin for further growing my community.
                            seconded. I remember even IPS used to publish their product roadmaps for customers to see. not to mention that they announce their products long before they're even close to internal alpha testing. the knowledge that the company is actively developing a product they will need keeps the customers happy. in Jelsoft's case, however, everything is hidden under multiple layers of secrecy. we're forced to speculate and spend our money on third-party products, when I'm sure that many people would wait with such purchases if only they knew for sure that Jelsoft are developing a CMS, blog, gallery or whatnot.

Comment

Originally posted by 0ptima View Post
                              AWS, are you going migrate all your boards?
                              Yes. I have my large private community already converted and a couple smaller sites. The rest will be done as time permits. Any new sites like http://msvista-news.com which I just launced will be CS. I like the all in one package. Forum, blog, gallery and customizable content islands on the main page.
                              If vbulletin would have added support for sql server, which was supposed to be added a long time ago as stated by John, I would probably have stayed.

Comment

[...] people would always rather choose something which is free over something which is not [...]
                                No, i can't agree to that. I am far away from being a "fanboy". I know vB has it's flaws and i really want them to get fixed. But, as long the board itself works fine and i get the support i need, i never would get a free soloution if i have the money to buy a fully supported software.

Best regards
                                hj

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X