Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista or Internet Explorer

Hello,

So I took the plunge and updated my old AMD 1.2 GHZ with a brand new dual core setup. Decided to go with Vista as I had installed the RC's a couple of times on a spare hard drive and kinda liked the new look.

I have one little annoying issue I can't figure out, whenever I visit a site that has links to video files (a direct link to a WMV, MPG, or MPEG file) it will come up with a Page can not be displayed. The site works fine in XP. I've tinkered with IE's security settings pratically allowing everything (only to test it) and it still didn't work. Just wonder if any other vista users have encountered this. In Window Media Player (set as the default for these file types) I don't see an option for file associates anymore, I thought maybe there was something there that was doing it, but they already open in Media Player anyway so.....

Links to Wav files or MP3's or Pictures work fine and as they should. Its just the video files.

Thanks

Mike
    RPG Warfare
    Choose your Destiny

Without more detail, its hard to tell if its a simple DNS issue, or if you have corrupt Audio media files.
    Since the install sounds new, i am going to guess its a DNS issue..

Did you install Vista "clean install" or "upgrade from XP"

Have you tried PageFix??

http://www.download.com/PageFix/3000...ageFix&subj=dl
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Is the video on its own page or embedded in HTML?

If it is on its own page, I would make sure that I have all the updated CODECs installed for my video. Each of those can have different codecs used to compress the video from divx to xvid. As it is a new OS installation, you most likely to do not have these third-party codecs installed whereas your XP install does.

Just something people tend to overlook.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I heard of a similar problem a little bit back. I think that solution was to install ffdshow and it went away. Not sure exactly on if the two are related, they just seem to be about the same problem.

Comment

I have also heard/had a similar problem if the video is played with Flash (like on youTube)

If that is the type of webiste you are going to you'll have to go in and run the standalone install of flash.
          Surrix.net: Computer help forums/articles

The person in my avatar is Elisha Cuthbert she plays on Fox's 24

Comment

Sorry for the delay in getting back, between work and snow I've been busy.

I should have clarified this a bit more I guess. Embedded videos work fine, it only on sites that have links to the actual video file that don't work. I can right click and save target as and it will download the video so its not a DNS issue. This is a new computer (Off the shelf from my local best buy), so the Vista install is new.

The video files once downloaded to my desktop or whatever work fine, so file associations are correct. It just if you click a link such as http://www.thisismywebsiteandnotyours.com/myvideo.avi that will bring up a page can not be displayed error (That address is not real, I was just giving an example).

Normally I would click on a link like that and Windows Media Player will open up and start playing it. Now I have to save it to the desktop first and then play it. Its just kinda bothersome that I have to go thru that extra step to just look at what may be a stupid video to begin with anyway.

Hope that was a bit clearer. I appreciate the help!
            RPG Warfare
            Choose your Destiny

Comment

Have you installed a player that has taken away file associations?
              You just need to reset them, when you save .AVI "save as" to disk, then do you have to choose to open with Media player, or does it just open with Media player when you double click the .AVI ?

Are you even wanting it to open with Media Player??

-To set associations-
              Internet Explorer, tools, internet options, programs tab, Internet programs "At the bottom" , Set programs, Associate a file type or protocol with a program..
              Last edited by Joe Gronlund; Tue 13 Feb '07, 6:05pm.
              MCSE, MVP, CCIE
              Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

When I save an AVI file to the desktop and double click it, it opens with Media Player, which is what I want. When I click on a direct Hxxp:// link to a .AVI file IE will display the page can not be displayed. The file can still be right clicked and Save Target As.. and saved to the desktop just fine.

Media player is set as the default for these types and locally they work fine. This is a gateway system, Gateway support says its a Windows Vista issue and I'll have to wait for Microsoft to release an update.
                RPG Warfare
                Choose your Destiny

Comment

Perhaps it is because there is no such request/response protocol as HXXP . THere is such a thing as HTTP
                  ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                  Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Sorry, I meant http:// I just typed it as that to avoid the forum formatting it as a URL. These are all valid links I am clicking on.

Here is one of them

http://media.skoopy.com/vids/vid_01324.wmv

When I click on this in IE I get page can not be displayed, but I can right click it and save it to desktop.
                    RPG Warfare
                    Choose your Destiny

Comment

Originally posted by trekwarfare View Post
                      Sorry, I meant http:// I just typed it as that to avoid the forum formatting it as a URL. These are all valid links I am clicking on.

Here is one of them

http://media.skoopy.com/vids/vid_01324.wmv

When I click on this in IE I get page can not be displayed, but I can right click it and save it to desktop.
                      I get the option to open or save, and i that is with Windows Vista Ultimate and XP Pro SP2, same result. So its not a Vista standalone issue, it could be something that Bestbuy has configured it to do, or work with, or has installed onto it...
                      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                      Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

The link opens directly in Windows Media 11 for me. But I am using XP Pro SP2 and have pretty much every codec known to mankind installed.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                          The link opens directly in Windows Media 11 for me. But I am using XP Pro SP2 and have pretty much every codec known to mankind installed.
                          Which is exactly what should happen to trekwarfare in Vista, then WMP "If file associations are correct" should give one of the following messages.
                          These messages are generic, and may not appear exactly as shown "Unsupported File Format" "Unsupported Stream" "Invalid Codec" "Codec not found" Would you like to try to download the proper codec needed for this media file.
                          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

This appears to be the same as the old XP 0x80072EFD error.

One of the following may help..

Run the IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS command.

To run the ipconfig /flushdns command, follow these steps:
                            -Click Start, and then click Run.
                            -In the Open box, type cmd, and the click OK.
                            -At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
                            ipconfig /flushdns

Actually now that i think of it, flushdns is not allowed in Vista, it requires elevation you would need to edit User Account Control.

Close the command window.
                            • Be sure the sites your accessing are not on your not-allowed list in your firewall settings.
                            • As a test, manual add a site that is giving you the error to your firewalls allowed list, to rule out firewall issues..
                            • Be sure in IE in advanced LAN settings youre not using a proxy.
                            • If you are running third-party proxy or firewall software, see your product documentation for information about how to add these sites to the exception list for those applications.

Click OK to close all Internet Options windows.
                            • Be sure MTU settings on Router are default if using a Router.
                            • If you using Norton Internet Security, be sure it is not blocking certain access to sites youre visiting.
                            To learn more google:

0x80072EFD windows update error + DNS + HOSTS file

Also "Important"
                            Post "Copy and paste the contents of" your HOSTS file so i can take a look and make sure it hasnt been altered to not allow certain content, or deny certain access to some sites..

Your HOSTS file is located at the location below, and can be opened with notepad.

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
                            or
                            %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
                            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                            Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X