new forum, old trolls (HELP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new forum, old trolls (HELP)

ok ... i did a search on all this troll stuff and i read about it all day. ive come to the conclusion that all i can do about trolls on my forum is ignore them, or fight them. ive got miserable users and ip hacks but really ... this is going to be a problem. theres got to be something else i can do. heres a little history ...

i opened my forum in june of 06. it wasnt till the last couple of months that my membership started to grow. i only have about seventy members, but these members are old accaintances of mine from anouther message board. they came because the other board was unmoderated and trolls and spam ran freely through the pages literally unfettered. its really the reason that my board exists because, like them, i was sick of somebody showing up and just pestering and disturbing good people for no apparnt reason. well ... come to find out yesterday. this isnt an unorganized attempt to destroy a community, in fact, its a very thought out effort by a whole group of people.

yesterday, a person joined my community. this person frequented the old message board that we all came from. after doing a little research, i found that this person owns and operates his own message board. its a message board used to discuss and implement trolling tactics. hard to believe, but true ... check it out. (please note that some of there forums are off limits to guests)

the owner and operator of that board registered as a user on my board ... what do i do now? the people of my community have been stalked and harassed for years by people like this, and it was only recently that i got a few of them to post on a message board after having been subject to this for years.

Yep, do not give them attention, don't fall for the trick of friends asking why they got banned. And just keep banning their names, emails and ip addresses. And move their posts and threads to a private forum or soft delete them. The less attention, the quicker they get bored and move on. It's something sites have to deal with. You win in the long run as they run out of resources and time to keep trying harder and harder to get in. And you have a set of staff that simply keeps banning them.

Gather up all the abuse and put it in a single documentation file and find a pattern. perhaps you can figure out who their provider is etc and start issuing reports to their abuse department for harassment and such.

Good luck!!

You could make all posts from the default registered usergroup moderated. And have users with 5 posts or more bumped to a copy of the registered usergroup, but without moderating their posts.

This way you keep eye on the first wave of posts by newcomers and catch spammers, etc.

Comment

yes ... once again i am forced into making desisions based on the fact that sombody just wants to be a jerk for no reason. because they run there own message board and ive witnessed there relentless and constent attacks, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over ... im sure that i can expect long hours and lost members because of sombodys demented idea of having fun. i guess it was silly of me to think that we could just post worry free and in peace.

Comment

Install the miserable users hack and put him in it . I tend to do that with a few trolls that annoy the pants off of me.
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
          Install the miserable users hack and put him in it . I tend to do that with a few trolls that annoy the pants off of me.
          ive got the miserables hack ... if you check out the guys forum, youll see that this is a literal cess pool of trolls. they sit in there bile and discuss tacktics and techniques to torment people.

i agree. my only option is to put the users in the miserable users group. then theyll come back with anouther name and anouther and anouther. its seems like an endless cycle, given that the board contains some four hundred members. some of the tactics that trolls have utilized in the past were not so obviouse. i hate being bullied. and to be bullied for no other reason than because of the fact that they can really irks me to. you have to realize that some of my members are really good people and they have been singled out for harassment for years. i guess i got my hands full.
          DiverTree
          Last edited by DiverTree; Thu 11 Oct '07, 8:21pm.

Comment

If they are using AOL, you can file a directcomplaint with AOL about it's members. You'll need to go over it's TOS, and cite one or more TOS breach between AOL and it's members.

I've done it once, and prompt action was taken against the user. I never heard from him/her again.
            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by DiverTree View Post
              yes ... once again i am forced into making desisions based on the fact that sombody just wants to be a jerk for no reason. because they run there own message board and ive witnessed there relentless and constent attacks, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over ... im sure that i can expect long hours and lost members because of sombodys demented idea of having fun. i guess it was silly of me to think that we could just post worry free and in peace.
              and over

Comment

I have had some like that. Just got to stick to your guns.
                Devilsown Water Injection
                Grand prix forum

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
                  If they are using AOL, you can file a directcomplaint with AOL about it's members. You'll need to go over it's TOS, and cite one or more TOS breach between AOL and it's members.

I've done it once, and prompt action was taken against the user. I never heard from him/her again.
                  thatll help in the short term, but in todays aol age, all you have to do is make another screen name and your back in buisness. there free. its even easier with aim. the problem that ive seen in the past, the problem that im worried about, isnt the guy that shows up and fills your board with flame posts that are obviouse. its the guy that sits back and ruins your board over a long period of time. for instence ...

i was an established member of an established message board. a newbie came one day and joined the group. they claimed that they were mildly retarted. some of the members questioned it and the dudes mother got on the board and asked that we accept this person. it was pretty convincing to most of our board. everyone, myself included, went out of our way to make this person comfortable.

this person privatly contacted a couple of people in the group and told them that it was indeed a hoax. when these people started making fun of our mildly retarted member, all hell broke loose. to this day, that message board has no regular members. after having been an active board of thousands of posts a day.

one troll, two trolls, three trolls acting independantly are really not a concern of mine. my concern is when you get a group of trolls (451 to be exact), with there own message board that they use to "discuss tactics and targets" (as its boldly stated) indeed target your board as the next victom scheduled for ruin for no other reason than ... they can.

Comment

Originally posted by NashTax View Post
                    and over
                    lol ... i get worked up sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by devilsown View Post
                      I have had some like that. Just got to stick to your guns.
                      indeed ... it seems like a full time job.

Comment

Just remain calm and relaxed, and ban them. I've had something similar.
                        [URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]Aviation Web[/URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]

Comment

Originally posted by Neal-UK View Post
                          Just remain calm and relaxed, and ban them. I've had something similar.
                          i guess thats all i can do ... maybee a shot of tokilla wouldnt hurt either. lol.

Comment

its been awhile since ive posted about this. just to give you guys a heads up ...

my troll from trollvalhalla has been a member of my community for over a year now. weve all been walking on eggshells not to perturb him off, but when he jumped in and started ragging the board for being crappy, the members jumped on him. he was looking for an excuse and used that to launch his attack. my website is now a common thread on a private part of his forum. i know this because the refering website that the new registrations are comming from point right to it. my forum is now under full attack from this creep. so far ive been able to keep the members from seeing them by forcing them to ignore, but in time theyll get around it. i cant catch them all. i suspect that theres about fifteen different people using ips that come from all across the us and one from the uk. so far. as i find them i put them in the ban list, but they keep comming back. isuspect that itll get alot worse before it gets better. if he operates his own message board then he knows ways around ip bans.

Comment

Since it annoys you, you feed them a reason to operate.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X