Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone here ever done a contest on your forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone here ever done a contest on your forum?

If so would you mind if I took a look at how you did it? I am about to do a contest and am guessing at everything and would like to see how someone else did it to get ideas.

thanks

I give away money or free domian names.

Comment

Here are the ones we've had: http://www.vbulletin-fans.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Comment

I've run two contests, a referral competition and a posting contest. You can see them both at the bottom of this page http://www.chatdaily.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=2

The posting contest was the most popular

Comment

I have run a successful composition competition where members were invited to compose a piece of music and submit it to a panel. We then selected the top 5 from the submissions, and had then transcribed as Scorch files available for viewers to listen to and vote on their favourite. We kept the composer anonymous of course during the poll.

Was very successful and I now have full copyright of a new piece of music specifically for my site. The piece is available to purchase as sheet music or as download MP3. Has made some revenue.
          John

Comment

Originally posted by JoyB View Post
            I've run two contests, a referral competition and a posting contest. You can see them both at the bottom of this page http://www.chatdaily.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=2

The posting contest was the most popular
            Did you keep track of the 'stats' by hand or was it automated?

Comment

One for the new design of the site: logo and skin&icons - the winner would get his work to be the main stylo of techzonept.com, other for custom user title - the most original (users voted) would maintain his custom user title (actually the 3 or 5 most voted would get the custom user title forever, the others would have it reversed.

Comment

Originally posted by rnmcd View Post
                Did you keep track of the 'stats' by hand or was it automated?
                I was able to check the stats in the control panel but I did take a note of members post counts by hand before the competition started.

I've recently held a competition which was based on points. Members could refer new members and gain 50 points or create new threads and gain 20 points. This competition was a great success!

I'm currently running one now just for fun. Members have to post in numerical order from 1 - 4000. I randomly selected eight numbers before the competition started and the members who post those numbers wins a small prize

Comment

On my old forums, i ran a contest to give away Retail copies of Windows 2000 and Windows XP..

I didn't do that this year...
                  MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                  Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by JoyB View Post
                    I've recently held a competition which was based on points. Members could refer new members and gain 50 points or create new threads and gain 20 points. This competition was a great success!
                    How did you keep track of the scores? That seems like it would be a full time job.

Comment

It was very easy. The members had to keep their own points tally and I just compared them by viewing the number of threads each member had made by viewing their profile

Comment

EF made a contest giving away $50K, the forum was HUGE, everyone registered

Comment

Originally posted by NashTax View Post
                          EF made a contest giving away $50K, the forum was HUGE, everyone registered
                          Wow 50k!! Right now we're only giving away a few leased licenses, that's the most I can afford right now haha

50k, $ or pounds?

Comment

Here's a site with 90k$ in prizes

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre..._source=cgtalk

Comment

WMT had quite a large SEO contest last year. Pretty cool to watch

On one of my past forums we had a contest based on "tokens". We spread a bunch of these little special images around on our own site and forums as well as a bunch of affiliate sites. When the user clicked one, the token was added to their account and increased the odds of them winning. It was kinda fun Keep in mind though, the easier it is for users to enter the more people will participate. Especially for new forums holding contests, if there are too many requirements or the contest requires too much work, then most users will just forget about it. The tokens idea was fun, but only a handful of users actually took the time to participate so the contest wasn't as successful as I would have liked.

Through all of the forums I've been a part of, there's been many contests. From my experience at least they don't usually bring in many users that actually stay around. There might be a bunch of users that register and participate in the contests for a chance to win, but after they loose, a good percentage of them never come back. I think the money spent on prizes and such may be better spent in other ways that will yield longer lasting results. So it's my advice to use a contest to give back to the community or to raise community spirit rather then to attract new users.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X