Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iranian hackers crack Windows Vista, sell it on street for $8 a copy

Iranian hackers crack Windows Vista, sell it on street for $8 a copy

All the effort Microsoft has put into making sure this Windows would be the most secure ever appear to be somewhat in vain. Iranian hackers, operating through a legitimate software firm, have gotten past all of Microsoft's "anti-copying tricks". These hackers claim they will sell these illegitimate copies of Windows Vista through the firm they work for at approximately $8 USD a copy. What's really interesting, though, is how they managed to give each pirated copy of Vista it's own serial number, so that they can register it through Microsoft as a legal copy of Windows Vista.

Source: http://www.taliyanews.com/en/archiv...sess_window.php

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=24974

Someone at Redmound, just lost their job! LOL

Microsoft must be really upset. They spent millions to make this version "hack proof" or at least to the point so no one could register it as legal.

Comment

It was only a matter of time. All of these activation policies, product keys, etc. ultimately do nothing to stop the majority of piracy. It's only designed to casually hinder piracy.
      --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
      Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
      vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

I would wait for a Microsoft press release, they have something up their sleeves..

Nice try though..
        MCSE, MVP, CCIE
        Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantisService View Post
          Someone at Redmound, just lost their job! LOL

Microsoft must be really upset. They spent millions to make this version "hack proof" or at least to the point so no one could register it as legal.
          Impossible. Human error makes nothing 100% x. Mac OS X can be hacked, and has been hacked. Vista can be hacked, and has been hacked. It's just a fact of life.
          Forums

Comment

Didn't they say that the Xbox360 can't be cracked either?

Comment

I can't confirm, but heard a few weeks ago that you can buy Vista in China for one dollar. Cracked.
              selling kawaiiNation.com

Comment

That site doesn't look like a credible source of info, although I completely agree with filburt1 that it's just a matter of time. These protection "tricks" make only end users' lives harder!
                You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

Software protection and encoding only keeps honest people honest. Come up with a better protection scheme and someone out there will come up with a way around it.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                  Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

WPA & WPA-2 will only make things harder on person(s)
                    Everything is crackable/hackable, Vista was just a little bit harder, i still say MS has a trick to pull yet..
                    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

everything that has ever been claimed non-crackable, has been or will be cracked sooner or later. examples? every M$ os to date was cracked. HD-DVD was cracked. Blu-Ray (but what the hell, it's a Sony, and everything that Sony makes or does is a miserable failure) got cracked too. Armadillo the software protection system was cracked by the funny chaps from the dreamTeam. Xbox, 360, PS2, PS3, GC, Wii, etc - all were cracked. DRM is a joke. vBulletin's tricky callbacks and hotlinks don't prevent nulled version from appearing but a few hours after an official release. the list can go on and on.

the real question is, how long will it take companies to realize that all their efforts are useless and everything does get cracked sooner or later?

Comment

Originally posted by Greps View Post
                        everything that has ever been claimed non-crackable, has been or will be cracked sooner or later. examples? every M$ os to date was cracked. HD-DVD was cracked. Blu-Ray (but what the hell, it's a Sony, and everything that Sony makes or does is a miserable failure) got cracked too. Armadillo the software protection system was cracked by the funny chaps from the dreamTeam. Xbox, 360, PS2, PS3, GC, Wii, etc - all were cracked. DRM is a joke. vBulletin's tricky callbacks and hotlinks don't prevent nulled version from appearing but a few hours after an official release. the list can go on and on.

the real question is, how long will it take companies to realize that all their efforts are useless and everything does get cracked sooner or later?
                        I hope it's soon... The amount of DRM protection in stuff like Vista (supposedly) and on CDs is getting ridiculous.
                        Forums

Comment

I have yet to encounter any DRM constraints in Vista with my existing media, the overwhelming majority of which is DivX, Xvid, MP3, etc. Granted I haven't tried the big one: DVI or HDMI video output to a TV, which may require HDCP and such.
                          --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                          Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                          vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

every M$ os
                            So 1990. It's Microsoft, not M$, Micro$oft or anything like that. That term went out in the 90s and even when it was in use it was used mainly by 12-13 year olds.
                            I use one of Ultimate boxes to stream video throughout the house. Haven't yet had a problem playing any DVD I bought. Key word is "bought". I wouldn't be surprised if it wouldn't play rips, but, I'll never find out because I buy and don't pirate.
                            Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

Is winblows still alive?

Originally posted by AWS View Post
                              So 1990. It's Microsoft, not M$, Micro$oft or anything like that. That term went out in the 90s and even when it was in use it was used mainly by 12-13 year olds.
                              Saying things "went out in 1990" is so 1984...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X