Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever thought about Apple (Mac)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AWS View Post
    If Macs are so good then why is it 94% of the people that own computers own PCs?
    You take the school districts that use Macs out of the picture and that 6% would drop.
    I'm being liberal with 6%. I have seen numbers as low as 2 1/2%
    No matter how you spin it Macs are still only used by a minority and a small minority at that. Although they are very vocal and never has there ever been any group that is more loyal.
    The fact that many believe Microsoft has an illegal monopoly over the computer market may be a reason why.
    Forums

Comment

But it is still a comparison of Windows vs MacOS. 96% to 2% is a big gap. There would probably be more users of MacOS if there were more options to buy it from other manufacturers. Until then it will remain a niche market. Much like the designer clothing you referred to above.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Cromulent View Post
        Comparing Apples market share with the entire PC industry is not a particularly good approach. A better way would be to compare Apples market share of the PC industry to other PC manufacturers (Dell, HP, Gateway etc). After all an Apple is just another PC manufacturer.
        I'm sure it's even more out of whack. You're just like any other mac zealot. If the numbers show one thing you twist them around to make them work for you. I'll look around for some numbers, but, my bet is Dell out sells Mac by a huge margin. Off course then you'll argue that I should have compared to Gateway.

Originally posted by Quillz View Post
        The fact that many believe Microsoft has an illegal monopoly over the computer market may be a reason why.
        And how does Microsoft hold a monopoly when they don't manufacturer PCs?
        Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
          But it is still a comparison of Windows vs MacOS. 96% to 2% is a big gap. There would probably be more users of MacOS if there were more options to buy it from other manufacturers. Until then it will remain a niche market. Much like the designer clothing you referred to above.
          That is very true. But I think that is the market Apple is aiming at. If they were going for the mass market there would be nothing stopping them pumping out beige boxes day and night to sell as cheaply as they could. They do not.

They produce equipment that is stylish, easy to use and novel. Half the appeal of Apple products if you ask me is the fact they offer something different. Something that is innovative. It has been shown that the most innovative products are often less successful than their more main stream counterparts simply because they are either more expensive (which is true in the case of Apple) or they are misunderstood (again I believe this is partly true in the case of Apple).

Comment

I have used PC's for years & years... i know them inside out, i get the stuff i need to do done quickly because of my experience of them... i can handle most potential problems and usually find i enjoy my PC experience on the whole

Now i also bought an IMAC G3 about a year ago (first time ever mac use really), i upgraded the mother board, ram, drive(s) and it runs the latest OSX perfectly well... amazing for an older mac, it's does what i want it to do... i love the icons and the 'designed' feel of the machine... good for hairdressers and designers alike..

Some would say a PC is a stuffy rigid work orientated machine... but if you have been using computers for a while you have mostly worked with a PC, besides the odd 'bill board coming out of a base ball hat' mac i saw in a hairdressers and the odd G3 in phone-in programs back in the late 90's 00's i was under the impression that these macs were for 'noobs' to the world of computing...

thats not the case, the new OSX is wonderful the best op-sys they say... but for me, i cannot free myself from the novelty value of mac... maybe i need alot more time with the machine... Vista i tried and again it's appealing to the dumbed down computer generation who heard you could burn a dvd on a pc but needed someone else to sort it out (now bundled) and that sidebar... and the itunes (logo) rip off... it's obvious isn't it... M$ saw the wonder in OSX and before you could say "hey... this mac's quite nice y'know" Vista came along and stole it's thunder... i'm not surprised Apple are doing an advertising blitz at the moment also...

For your tech...a PC, your blokes machine... one of the lads... for your designer/girl don't know much about computers just wanna get things done (photos & music so they tell us) good... a mac it is...

-M

Comment

I'm sure it's even more out of whack. You're just like any other mac zealot. If the numbers show one thing you twist them around to make them work for you. I'll look around for some numbers, but, my bet is Dell out sells Mac by a huge margin. Off course then you'll argue that I should have compared to Gateway.
              Actually I would agree (not based on any actual facts just based on a gut feeling) Dell do probably have a larger market share than Apple. I have no idea where you got the idea that I would dispute that. Maybe you are just a Microsoft zealot? You seem to think that anyone who defends Apple or their products must be a Microsoft hating maniac. I am not. I have used Windows based PCs exclusively for over 7 years. The fact is I prefer Macs to PCs.

Comment

And how does Microsoft hold a monopoly when they don't manufacturer PCs?
                Because almost every PC sold in the world comes with Windows pre-installed. Many critics of Microsoft claim that Microsoft has used this to push bundled software and what not, and thus making the claim that Microsoft has an illegal monopoly on the computer market, because many people (even though I don't agree with this) don't realize they have options other than Windows.
                Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Quillz View Post
                  Because almost every PC sold in the world comes with Windows pre-installed. Many critics of Microsoft claim that Microsoft has used this to push bundled software and what not, and thus making the claim that Microsoft has an illegal monopoly on the computer market, because many people (even though I don't agree with this) don't realize they have options other than Windows.
                  Even after the court order was issued stating that Microsoft can't have exclusive contracts, the PC manufacturers still put Windows on their PCs. It is their choice. A few like Dell and IBM put Linux on the machine by request only but they don't really advertise that fact. IBM is also a major investor in Redhat. Wal-mart tried selling Linux-based PCs but had a logistics nightmare as many of their customers returned them as defective. Not because the computers didn't work but because they didn't run software and games off the shelf.

If Dell could sell "Apple Certified" computers with the Mac OS, they probably would. However Apple does not allow this and therefore confine themselves to a small niche. Only a few Linux companies have the resources to make an inroad on the desktop but Redhat and Suse target the business market and a few others have feeble marketing efforts. Apple has the only competing product in the consumer marketplace and they simply refuse to truly compete. That isn't a monopoly, that is a lack of competition.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                  Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

I got an iMac last year, and within the week I had left my Windows box for good. I'm extremely happy with it; it's dreadful to use my parents' PC now! I just got a MacBook, too, and am not disappointed there either.

Comment

Market share has to deal with sales, not usage. So if my PC keeps dying on me immediately after the 90 day warranty and I buy 3 a year, it drives up market share. Estimates last year said Macs hold closer to 13-15% of the actual market, but you need to factor in how long people are hanging on to the machines, how many are bought and sold privately, etc.

It's all a numbers game. I don't really care, I'm a consumer and I buy the product I like best. For me, I use Macs.
                      The Wiire

Comment

Originally posted by gekko View Post
                        Market share has to deal with sales, not usage. So if my PC keeps dying on me immediately after the 90 day warranty and I buy 3 a year, it drives up market share. Estimates last year said Macs hold closer to 13-15% of the actual market, but you need to factor in how long people are hanging on to the machines, how many are bought and sold privately, etc.

It's all a numbers game. I don't really care, I'm a consumer and I buy the product I like best. For me, I use Macs.
                        And I actually just bought my first iMac about one hour ago, so I guess I'm an Apple user, too.
                        Forums

Comment

* Floris gives secret handshake *

Welcome to the club

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
                            * Floris gives secret handshake *

Welcome to the club
                            Thanks. Now I can be a Mactard and feel superior, just like you guys.

I'm hoping it'll ship later tonight (still got three hours or so,) because it's estimated it'll arrive as early as Feb. 9. Assuming they ship from the Bay Area, it should only take a day or so to get down to LA.
                            Forums

Comment

I can't see myself ever switching from a PC to a mac. I've been using Windows for so many years and know all the ins and outs of it to make me feel like im in total control. Sure, there are stupid bugs. Sure, there are security holes. But when you have a user-database that absolutely tops anything that the OSX community have, you're going to find more bugs and the hackers will target the security holes.
                              Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C View Post
                                I can't see myself ever switching from a PC to a mac. I've been using Windows for so many years and know all the ins and outs of it to make me feel like im in total control. Sure, there are stupid bugs. Sure, there are security holes. But when you have a user-database that absolutely tops anything that the OSX community have, you're going to find more bugs and the hackers will target the security holes.
                                Yep, I remember the same things : "I can do this, I can change this, I'll modify those stuff, I'll change this and everything will be better and optimized..."

...but ! What should I do ? Work ? Opps... I'm not doing that
                                Than I switched to Mac and after one mounth of "weirdness" I reached the point of no return, bye bye M$
                                Now I'm just working, I know, it may seems retoric, but it's like that.
                                Italian Body Building & Fitness : www.BodyWeb.com
                                Italian unofficial support Forum : www.vBulletin.it

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X