Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever thought about Apple (Mac)?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    This picture illustrates my growing disgust with the Mac market. I switched shortly after this trend began about 6 years ago. Granted, this image is a little over the top, but it makes its point with enough truth.

    Then of course there are the more practical arguments coming from anyone with the ability to build custom PCs well.
    Attached Files

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Jake Bunce View Post
      This picture illustrates my growing disgust with the Mac market. I switched shortly after this trend began about 6 years ago. Granted, this image is a little over the top, but it makes its point with enough truth.

      Then of course there are the more practical arguments coming from anyone with the ability to build custom PCs well.
      I have to admit most Mac zealots you come across on sites certainly do act like that.
      Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

      Comment


      • #18
        Its been shown that Mac Pros are cheaper than comparable Dells in $. I do agree with you that some (most even) Apple products are overpriced for what they are. But they have the same prestige value that designer clothes have, iPods have almost become a fashion accessory and whether you like it or not Apple do produce some VERY stylish equipment. Just look at the new iPhone.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Cromulent View Post
          Its been shown that Mac Pros are cheaper than comparable Dells in $. I do agree with you that some (most even) Apple products are overpriced for what they are. But they have the same prestige value that designer clothes have, iPods have almost become a fashion accessory and whether you like it or not Apple do produce some VERY stylish equipment. Just look at the new iPhone.
          You mean the most expensive phone in the world?
          Forums

          Comment


          • #20
            It's not what's on the tin that counts, it's what's in it.
            [URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]Aviation Web[/URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]

            Comment


            • #21
              You obviously failed to read my post. Re-read it.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Cromulent View Post
                You obviously failed to read my post. Re-read it.
                You obviously failed to detect my terrible attempt at humor.
                Forums

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Quillz View Post
                  You obviously failed to detect my terrible attempt at humor.
                  Your right, I did .

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Cromulent View Post
                    Its been shown that Mac Pros are cheaper than comparable Dells in $.
                    Here is the thing though. Many PC enthusiasts do not purchase Dells, Gateways, Compaqs, or other pre-fabbed PCs. They build to suit using off-the-shelf parts from Newegg or found through Pricewatch and similar sites. Why would I want to spend $3000 dollars buying a machine filled with software I probably will never use and bloats the system when I can purchase the parts and make a machine (including Windows) for half that. Really only takes 15-20 minutes to assemble a PC once you have all the parts.

                    So they may be comparable but there are many advantages to having access to a vast array of parts. Might work for Macs now since they use Intel processors but haven't really looked into it.
                    Translations provided by Google.

                    Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I currently own a mac mini, i would probally highly consider buying a second mini, but I would never purchase a larger mac machine to replace my main windows box. I like windows, and i like building my own machines.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                        Here is the thing though. Many PC enthusiasts do not purchase Dells, Gateways, Compaqs, or other pre-fabbed PCs. They build to suit using off-the-shelf parts from Newegg or found through Pricewatch and similar sites. Why would I want to spend $3000 dollars buying a machine filled with software I probably will never use and bloats the system when I can purchase the parts and make a machine (including Windows) for half that. Really only takes 15-20 minutes to assemble a PC once you have all the parts.

                        So they may be comparable but there are many advantages to having access to a vast array of parts. Might work for Macs now since they use Intel processors but haven't really looked into it.
                        Actually I think you are wrong there. The target market for the Mac Pro and Dells that have the same type of configuration are high end graphics professionals, musicians, video editors etc. These types of clients want the security offered by company warranties etc.

                        I see your point when talking about the iMac or the Mac Mini but the Mac Pro caters to a completely different market segment and one that does not want to build their own computers. They want security and the knowledge that their computers will just work. The Mac Pro is a serious business machine and that market does not want to have to deal with warranties from multiple suppliers for each machine they own. They want to have one supplier offering one warranty for their machine (or fleet of machines).

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          If Macs are so good then why is it 94% of the people that own computers own PCs?
                          You take the school districts that use Macs out of the picture and that 6% would drop.
                          I'm being liberal with 6%. I have seen numbers as low as 2 1/2%
                          No matter how you spin it Macs are still only used by a minority and a small minority at that. Although they are very vocal and never has there ever been any group that is more loyal.
                          Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Just to add I actually went way too high with the percentage.

                            U.S. Mac Market Share
                            1Q 2005: 3.8%
                            4Q 2005 (AI): 3.5%
                            1Q 2006 (ZDNet): 3.5%
                            1Q 2006 (AI): 3.6%

                            Worldwide Mac Market Share
                            1Q 2005: 2.2%
                            1Q 2006 (ZDNet): 2.3%
                            1Q 2006 (AI): 2.0%
                            This was last years. First quarter this year is at 4.8%. So even though they had an increase still uner my liberal estimate. On top of that PC sales have increased 13% the first quarter this year. Maybe Vista had something to do with that so it might be skewed.
                            Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by AWS View Post
                              Maybe Vista had something to do with that so it might be skewed.
                              More likely the fact that the average consumer can walk into Wal-mart, Best Buy or Circuit City and walk out with a Windows-based PC, Windows (used to be XP home and now Vista Premium), 1 GB of RAM, 160 GB hard drive, DVD burner and a monitor for about $600.00. You can get laptops for similar. For the price conservative, you can get Windows machines for as low as $300 out the door, cheaper than a video game console.

                              While enthusiasts push the market to new heights, the average consumer is the one that determines marketshare.
                              Translations provided by Google.

                              Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                              Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Comparing Apples market share with the entire PC industry is not a particularly good approach. A better way would be to compare Apples market share of the PC industry to other PC manufacturers (Dell, HP, Gateway etc). After all an Apple is just another PC manufacturer.

                                Comment

                                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X