Style Theft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Style Theft

I recently created a style with a custom header & I'd say more than 80% of the images were custom mainly the buttons were all custom.

I didnt have time to complete all images before it was stolen.

A member saved all my images less the header cause I dont believe he knew how to code it or it would have been stolen also (my opinion only) the person(s) then edited there css to match my style exactly loaded all my images.

Proceeded to edit my copyright in the footer to make it there own & sold it to another site.

I contacted the site owner luckily I knew him form previous boards we were on together. The owner paid me for my style so I am ok with him using it now.

Now to the question

Is there anything I can do about this if the style was indeed created by me & I have all original artwork (images) psd's & such to prove it is in fact my work & if so who would I contact in order to take some action ?

The reason for this thread is basically I am in the process of creating some more styles & I don't want this to happen again.

-bigdog829

Any response to this matter would be greatly appreciated !

Contact your local civil courts, and speak to a solicitor. Keep all your work and evidence and see what they say. If you can prove it, they haven't got a leg to stand on unless you offered it to the other party for free.

Have you asked them to remove the images from their site first?

I'm not a solicitor, so don't take my word for it.
    [URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]Aviation Web[/URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]

Comment

The reality is this: the expenses related to taking someone to court over copyright of this nature far outweight the benefits.
      Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Originally posted by Neal-UK View Post
        Contact your local civil courts, and speak to a solicitor. Keep all your work and evidence and see what they say. If you can prove it, they haven't got a leg to stand on unless you offered it to the other party for free.

Have you asked them to remove the images from their site first?

I'm not a solicitor, so don't take my word for it.
        I didnt offer any of the images for free as stated above the style wasnt even complete so they didnt get all of them but got the majority,

I asked them to remove it at first then he offered to buy it so I decided to allow it, But I wanna see if theres a way to protect it next time .... if there is a next time. I hope not.

Originally posted by Dean C View Post
        The reality is this: the expenses related to taking someone to court over copyright of this nature far outweight the benefits.
        Thanks to both of you for responding.

Comment

Is it possible to write a htaccess file that doesn't cache the images and blocks anyone from trying to save them?

Comment

No, caching happens on the user side, and saving images works the same way as displaying them.
            Best Regards
            Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Are files/images/etc. from secure sites (SSL) cached or is it only encrypting the comm traffic? I do not know... just a thought...

Comment

If the end user can see it, the end user can copy it. End of story.
                --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

If you can find out the location of this person, threaten if he does this again, you'll take him to court over copyright infringement.
                  ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                  Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies I guess all I can't really do to much.

I have now made my site invite only & banned all I.P.'s the user(s) that I feel had something to do with it & hope it doesnt happen again.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C View Post
                      It cost me £30 to take an ex-employee to court for non-payment of wages, it depends on how go about it I suppose. Take a free legal consultation and do it yourself. I can't see it being that expensive at all.
                      [URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]Aviation Web[/URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]

Comment

Originally posted by Neal-UK View Post
                        It cost me £30 to take an ex-employee to court for non-payment of wages, it depends on how go about it I suppose. Take a free legal consultation and do it yourself. I can't see it being that expensive at all.
                        That's different. Taking action over digital copyrights is far more tedious and costly.
                        Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

If the hosting provider's TOS doesn't permit copyrighted material on the hosting account you can request them to enforce their TOS on their customer, as you're the author of those images.

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
                            If you can find out the location of this person, threaten if he does this again, you'll take him to court over copyright infringement.

ROFL. I would take my chances ...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X