X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zonex
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott MacVicar View Post
    We'd divulge information to the appropriate authorities when they request it but never to anyone else.
    I hope you mean when compelled by the courts.

Leave a comment:

• Zonex
    replied
    Originally posted by rnmcd View Post
    Is it possible to run a website and not have anyone know who owns the site?
    Check out Katz Global. Not only do they refuse to take any personal information they can also do it offshore in low jurisdiction countries. They only take cash by mail, gold or other untraceables .

Leave a comment:

• fusion2
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott MacVicar View Post
    We'd divulge information to the appropriate authorities when they request it but never to anyone else.

Hopefully you have such requests go through your attorney in writing?

The law enforcement community frequently tries to wave constitutional rights by getting businesses to consent based on verbal agreement. Businesses often assume because they are an authority they wouldnt bend the rules or break laws.

So hopefully for the integrity of our private data, you have a formal policy that such requests be submitted in writing through your attorney. If not, then you will be liable for breach of privacy by providing a third party access to our confidential information.

Leave a comment:

• fusion2
    replied
    Originally posted by phill2003 View Post
    Dont be soft, people get upset about the most innocuous things these days and what you deem controversial does not mean others do, So I think the question is a valid one.

I agree.

For example, If you were pro-abortion and wanted to discuss your views on your forum, chances are some religious fanatics will threaten your safety and possibly cause you harm.

So obviously one would want to remain anonymous to some extent.

Leave a comment:

• fusion2
    replied
    Originally posted by JakeS View Post
    Well, I've found the best working solution to all of this: FALSE details when you buy stuff.

Example: Street you live on
    45 Fake Road
    Postcode ROF LMAO
    etc

Thats sort of stupid as you wont be able to object to a domain name transfer. With internic or your domain company unable to identify you as the owner and contact you, they would probably forfeit the domain name.

Leave a comment:

• fusion2
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Isaac View Post
    Read the attachment.

Bob
    In the case of UK, you would want to become incorporated and then register the website under the corporation, allowing the members of the corporation to remain anonymous to general public.

Leave a comment:

• rnmcd
    replied
    Originally posted by phill2003 View Post

Look at the recent issue with the site that was shut for a few hours, turns out they had done nothing wrong but people objected to it so much it got shut down.
    Who shut it down?

My site has been running only 4 weeks and just today an attorney contacted me about something that a registered member said about them on the site.

How badly can I be sued?

Leave a comment:

• TygerTyger
    replied
    That's illegal. It only works until someone sees it and goes "Hey, what is this..."

Leave a comment:

• JakeS
    replied
    Well, I've found the best working solution to all of this: FALSE details when you buy stuff.

Example: Street you live on
    45 Fake Road
    Postcode ROF LMAO
    etc

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    If you want to start a site and you know people might come after you in real life, I would think twice before starting such a site. Also ask legal help from a law firm and investigate how you can remain within the laws. And then simply don't break the law.

Leave a comment:

• phill2003
    replied
    Originally posted by rnmcd View Post
    If I start up a site that some may deem 'controversial' I would prefer that someone doesn't stop by to shoot me.

ROFL I can see how that would put a dampner on your day....

Originally posted by filburt1 View Post
    If you need to ask the question, you shouldn't create the site.
    Dont be soft, people get upset about the most innocuous things these days and what you deem controversial does not mean others do, So I think the question is a valid one. Look at the recent issue with the site that was shut for a few hours, turns out they had done nothing wrong but people objected to it so much it got shut down.

Or do you live your life not saying or doing anything in case it upsets someone else?
    Last edited by phill2003; Mon 15 Jan '07, 12:50am.

Leave a comment:

• MRGTB
    replied
    You can try to hide your information when you by a domain by also purchasing extra whois guard protection. And also use an alias email address from your servers CP Panel, that redirects mail to your own email address. Thats two things you can do to help a little.

But I guess nothing is 100%

Leave a comment:

• TygerTyger
    replied
    It applies to all web sites, business or not.

Bob
    Don't think so. My understanding was it is for companies, possibly not even including sole traders. In fact it says in the document:

The Directive was introduced to clarify and harmonise the rules of on-line business throughout Europe with the aim of boosting consumer confidence.
    and makes no mention of the application to personal websites. Additionally, personal websites are still legally permitted to hide their WHOIS details while businesses are not (including sole traders).

My understanding is that if your site involves financial transactions or is a website for a business, the above rules apply to you.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Isaac
    replied
    It applies to all web sites, business or not.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• yellow_spider
    replied
    Read the attachment.

Bob
    Would this apply to sites that are run not for profit ? The doc you enclosed seems to be directed to more business or sales type websites

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X