Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unofficial Security Reminder

Hey everybody,

The new year has started, so I wanted to invite everybody to take security serious (because not everybody does) and take some default actions you could do once in a while. And starting early in the year is a good time.

How To Make My Forums More Secure

Make sure your profiles on forums are up to date, that your password is hard to guess and I even recommend changing it. And check if your email is still working.

Don't forget to upgrade your forum to the latest stable release.

Good luck with your forums in 2007!

Why our profiles on forums must be up to date?

How would this increase our security?
    $post[signature]

Comment

Originally posted by Mazinger View Post
      Why our profiles on forums must be up to date?

How would this increase our security?
      Sometimes users register with an email from their domain, then they change domain. The new owner of that domain could then request to reset the password. Or the password could be guessed, if so .. changing it will prevent that abusive user to continue to use the account. And it never hurts to go through the options and profile settings, or to check the links in the signature (and stay up to date).

Comment

umm... that makes sence.
        $post[signature]

Comment

You would/nt believe how long and virutally impossible my password would be to guess..

To shed some light on how long, i took two credit cards, and 10 ramdom letters from the alphabet, put them in a random generator, and voila.
          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by Mazinger View Post
            umm... that makes sence.
            Yes, becuase leaving information that is not up to date makes total "sence" too.

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund View Post
              You would/nt believe how long and virutally impossible my password would be to guess..

To shed some light on how long, i took two credit cards, and 10 ramdom letters from the alphabet, put them in a random generator, and voila.
              I use a program that generates a really hard to guess and unique password that's pretty long. Using lowercase, uppercase, numbers and special characters. And I prefer to start with special characters.

Comment

Just a FYI about keeping certain information up to date on the forums.

Everytime i update my Yahoo-ID on forums "And i only use vBulletin forums"
                My Yahoo Messenger gets hacked within a week.. I'm dead serious, and the passwords used are not hacker friendly either.
                I have had to change Yahoo ID's three times now..
                MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

I never use my yahoo besides for IM on Adium (not using yahoo im itself) and for nothing else, I never had an issue. You're targetted perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
                    You're targetted perhaps?
                    No doubt I could care less, if thats the only way they can get my current yahoo ID, then good-luck finding me..
                    I hate Yahoo, i only use it because its all my friend in Virginia has to communicate with me..
                    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund View Post

Provide the two credit cards and I'm on my way to finding it out.

But seriously, give me the credit cards.
                      --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                      Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                      vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1 View Post
                        Provide the two credit cards and I'm on my way to finding it out.

But seriously, give me the credit cards.
                        Ok, i'm going away for a week so i wont need them anyway, hold on a sec Filburt

Ohh wait, i shouldnt have mentioned i was going away.. HaXor City
                        MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                        Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X