No announcement yet.

MySQL not free anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully we will see a PostgreSQL option for vBulletin someday.

Comment

I think they still plan on releasing versions like they always have, just not the most up-to-date ones. This may be even better for us. To me, it seems like the enterprise users will be the community's bug testers. Sort of like the Fedora/Red Hat thing?

Comment

"Enterprise users" and "MySQL" don't belong in the same sentence. Real large-scale sites rarely use MySQL, but instead Oracle, SQL Server, PostgreSQL, etc.

(yes, Wikipedia and some big names use MySQL, but the overwhelming majority don't)
        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1 View Post
          If Jelsoft switches to an even more abstract database API middleware, then the underlying database itself will be irrelevant. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if vBulletin 4 or whatever does this, the objective being you never type a single query, but instead it builds queries itself designed specifically for the underlying database engine.

It's actually a very common technique in most other languages like ASP.NET and Java. PHP is different in that you're almost encouraged to use a PHP module for a specific database rather than an API.
          I'm sure you folks know about ADODB.
          ADOdb Database Abstraction Library for PHP (and Python).

ADOdb is a database abstraction library for PHP.

That's one popular package used by a number of opensource projects.

Comment

We're trying this one at work: http://pear.php.net/package/MDB2 . It has one fatal problem, though: it generates bad queries when trying to insert binary data (like images) into a PostgreSQL database because it doesn't escape BYTEAs properly.
            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

As long as they keep the source up as free I don't mind

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X