Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pentium D, Intel Centrino, Pentium XYZ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greps View Post
    he's got a mac. mac != gaming. macs are simply not compatible with gaming. a shame, though. if macs were supported by both game and hardware developers as much as they support Windows, I'd be using a mac right now.
    Actually I have Windows setup as a duel boot option. Best of both worlds. I hope that people will stop saying that Macs are crap for gaming soon, it is getting tedious.

Comment

and I hope that in 2007 mac fanboys will realize that macs ARE crap for gaming. everybody knows that. you can object and protest, and even tell me that this one game performed better, yada yada. you can hyperventilate and scream that macs are underestimated, etc, but the truth will remain that macs are not made for gaming.

when microsoft releases DirectX for MacOS, when hardware companies will start optimizing their hardware for macs and provide drivers for them, when the latest and the most advanced graphics cards will be available for macs, when ALL (not one or two) games will be developed for both windows and macs and people on macs will not be forced to run emulators and **** like that to play games, THEN you'll be right to say that macs are good for gaming. but untill that time, embrace the truth - PCs totally OWN macs when it comes to gaming. well, they own macs when it comes to quite a lot of things, but that's a different story.

Comment

I'd hardly call myself a Mac fanboi. This is my first Mac in about 7 years. In that 7 years I have only owned PCs running Microsoft Windows (I had a short stint with Linux but gave up).

You obviously fail to understand a few very important facts.
        1. Macs can now use any hardware that a PC can use. It may not be available under Mac OS X, but when you talk about gaming the assumption is that you are running Windows. For example a Mac Pro can run an Nvidia 8800 graphics card.
        2. Macs run Microsoft Windows (XP SP2 and above) natively. It is not emulated it is exactly the same as a Dell or a Hewlett Packard.
        You seem to be thinking of the last generation of Apple Macs that could not run Windows and did not use standard PC hardware. This has changed. Apple Macs are just the same as PCs nowadays (although very stylish ones).

As another point what other things do PCs totally own Macs. I'm always interested to hear seeing as I have used PCs for 7 odd years and have a Mac sitting in front of me. I can not think of a single thing any of my previous 6 or so PCs did better than my Mac. Care to enlighten me?

and I hope that in 2007 mac fanboys will realize that macs ARE crap for gaming. everybody knows that. you can object and protest, and even tell me that this one game performed better, yada yada. you can hyperventilate and scream that macs are underestimated, etc, but the truth will remain that macs are not made for gaming.

when microsoft releases DirectX for MacOS, when hardware companies will start optimizing their hardware for macs and provide drivers for them, when the latest and the most advanced graphics cards will be available for macs, when ALL (not one or two) games will be developed for both windows and macs and people on macs will not be forced to run emulators and **** like that to play games, THEN you'll be right to say that macs are good for gaming. but untill that time, embrace the truth - PCs totally OWN macs when it comes to gaming. well, they own macs when it comes to quite a lot of things, but that's a different story.

Comment

it's strange, I can't seem to find any place to download 8800 or x1950xtx drivers for MacOS. and I yet have to see a mac system break any 3DMark records. and why, may I ask, when I try to go through the process of purchasing a Mac Pro online I am only presented with a choice of old graphics cards?

yeah, when people talk about gaming, they assume Windows and PCs. when new hardware comes out, it comes out tuned for Windows and PCs first, and then maybe for macs. and I don't see this changing any time soon. have fun playing Crysis, UT2007 and Vanguard on your mac.

Comment

it's strange, I can't seem to find any place to download 8800 or x1950xtx drivers for MacOS. and I yet have to see a mac system break any 3DMark records. and why, may I ask, when I try to go through the process of purchasing a Mac Pro online I am only presented with a choice of old graphics cards?

yeah, when people talk about gaming, they assume Windows and PCs. when new hardware comes out, it comes out tuned for Windows and PCs first, and then maybe for macs. and I don't see this changing any time soon. have fun playing Crysis, UT2007 and Vanguard on your mac.
            When it comes to games, it's not all about graphics. WoW runs fine on a Mac, and so does Warcraft 3. Those are some of the funnest games I've played in a while.

Granted, the selection of games is not as huge, but your statements make it seem as if a Mac couldn't run a single game at all.

I know you prefer PC's for gaming. Most people do. True, Macs don't have the selection, nor do they have priority when it comes to new graphics performance hardware. But that doesn't mean they are "crap" for gaming.

If you still want to frame the issue like how you have, then go make a comparison between a PC and a PlayStation 3. Sony's hardware is completely tuned for the system with a library of games over 8000 titles strong, with high-definition video output and digital surround sound. Sure, the graphics card by itself may not be top-of-the-line compared to PCs', but graphics cards by themselves don't determine whether or not a system is "crap" for gaming or not.

Indeed, only a very few percentage of games today require a top-of-the-line brand-new graphics card. There are TONS of games out there that are just as fun, if not more so, and have lower performance requirements. If you look at the general population of PC users, you will notice that very few people have a very high-end graphics card. How many people, really, would justify spending upwards of $400-$500 on a new graphics card?

Next time when you make an argument, try to see it from a more objective point of view. Calling everybody Mac fanboys and then proceeding to blindly list why "everybody nows that" PCs are better kinda makes it seem like *you* are the fanboy.

Besides, I can build the best PC gaming rig in the world and still run Linux only.
            Last edited by DirectPixel; Sat 30 Dec '06, 2:01pm.
            :)

Comment

I will enjoy playing those games on my Mac. In fact I have already pre-ordered Vanguard and am looking forward to it being released. I don't really see how this is helping your argument that Macs are not designed for gaming?

Seeing as we are talking hardware here there is no difference between a Mac and a PC nowadays (except cosmetic).

Also you misread what I originally posted, here it is again :

Macs can now use any hardware that a PC can use. It may not be available under Mac OS X, but when you talk about gaming the assumption is that you are running Windows. For example a Mac Pro can run an Nvidia 8800 graphics card.
              So the fact that an 8800 runs in a Mac Pro does not necessarily mean Mac OS X. There are drivers which will get PC Nvidia cards to run under Mac OS X they are called the Titan drivers but are not quite up to standard yet. But with time I am sure they will function well enough.

I don't understand your argument, in fact I don't think you have an argument. You are just spouting a nonsensical ramble based on ignorance.

Comment

The only reason to buy a Mac now is because of OSX. I see no other reason. I can get the same hardware for half the price to run Windows. Paying for a Mac to run Windows IMO is, well, stupid.
                I just wish Apple would get off their dead butts and release OSX to compete with Windows. If that ever happens I might turn into a Mac fanboy.
                Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

Originally posted by AWS View Post
                  The only reason to buy a Mac now is because of OSX. I see no other reason. I can get the same hardware for half the price to run Windows. Paying for a Mac to run Windows IMO is, well, stupid.
                  I just wish Apple would get off their dead butts and release OSX to compete with Windows. If that ever happens I might turn into a Mac fanboy.
                  The MacBook starts at $1099, for a pretty nicely-featured system. Not a bad price, I'd say. It's not Dell prices, but it definitely rivals Sony's Vaios.

Not quite "the same hardware for half the price".
                  :)

Comment

The Mac Pro is the best priced PC system with that configuration. It beats Dell and a few other companies.

That is why some people buy Macs just to run Windows nowadays.

In fact I just configured a Dell System to match the same specs as my Mac Pro (in fact the graphics card was worse and there was no sound card in the Dell) and it came out costing just under £700 MORE than the Apple Mac. The argument that Macs are more expensive than PCs is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Cromulent View Post
                      The Mac Pro is the best priced PC system with that configuration. It beats Dell and a few other companies.

That is why some people buy Macs just to run Windows nowadays.

In fact I just configured a Dell System to match the same specs as my Mac Pro (in fact the graphics card was worse and there was no sound card in the Dell) and it came out costing just under £700 MORE than the Apple Mac. The argument that Macs are more expensive than PCs is wrong.
                      Mioght wanna lookup the US based prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                        Mioght wanna lookup the US based prices.
                        The Mac Pro is still just under $500 cheaper and is better specified.

Edit : Scratch that was looking at the wrong model. The Apple Mac is still just over $200 cheaper than the Dell.
                        Last edited by Cromulent; Sat 30 Dec '06, 8:38pm.

Comment

most programs can take advantage of dual core processors. quad core is quite useless, as I have found out myself (running QX6800 atm), not a lot of performance difference
                          I agree. Quad-core will become the new standard in the future, like dual cores are now, but very few, if any, programs are really designed to use quad-core technology.
                          Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Quillz View Post
                            I agree. Quad-core will become the new standard in the future, like dual cores are now, but very few, if any, programs are really designed to use quad-core technology.
                            That is quite untrue. If you use any professional level applications then quad cores are useful.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X