attracting members?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• attracting members?

I am stating a new forum [ http://vistahelpforum.com ] and I am looking for suggestions on attracting members. I would like to avoid paid-posting because I want a usefull forum. I was thinking about a give ways, maybe a copy of windows vista. What are your thoughts?
    Vista Help Forum

Submit your site to search engines if you have not yet done so.

Contests (vista give away) are always a good way to encourage posting, but you need a base to begin with to promote activity.

I would also recommend changing the default style to something else, other than the default vBulletin one.
    Webmaster / Administrator
    www.MegaGames.com
    www.MGForums.com

Comment

I don't think you will do to bad once your site gets listed and indexed in Google. The domain name you've chosen is a pretty good one. And Vista is a good keyword to have in your sites name to be searched for right now.

The whole domain is pretty good. because words like Vista Forum and Vista Help will list your sites domain. What you need is some content with back linking to other vista sites in the articles etc.

Also agree about the theme, take a look at this forum for some ideas:
      http://thevistaforums.com/
      Last edited by MRGTB; Thu 28 Dec '06, 3:27am.

Comment

Originally posted by MRGTB View Post

Also agree about the theme, take a look at this forum for some ideas:
        http://thevistaforums.com/
        Wow thats a cool design forum, i found it pretty useful too. Thanks!

Comment

get into serious discussions and give great tips to the members. Promote through signatures and link exchanges.
          www.christianforumsite.com
          sigpic

Comment

Also search the net about Vista itself, try to post the latest information about the OS. Like BUGS found and Exploits, and so on to interest people!

Just try to keep the latest news and information about Vista going on the site. Only content will bring people there wanting to join and search engines picking it up in searches.

Now is the time to push the site, seeing as Vista is being released in 2007. People will be looking for Vista and searching quite a lot for it over the next 12 months. So it's a very good topic to cover right now and a good choice for a new forum.

Defiantly the right time to setup a forum based around it. But it's like any forum. Content, all content, which means you have to put the effort in to reap the rewards.
            Last edited by MRGTB; Fri 29 Dec '06, 10:58am.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffinj View Post
              Promote through signatures and link exchanges.

Do you think signatures promote the site your posting on more then your own site?

I noticed that vbulletin and other forums that im on having been outranking my own site when searching for the name of my own website because my web link appears on their forum dozens of times etc.

So im sort of thinking it does more harm then good?

Comment

Content, Content, Backlinks, Content, Search Engine Submissions, and did I mention Content?
                vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

Personally I don't think its really worth the effort joining other sites post threads just to add your link there. Your much better spending your time posting aticles on your own site with back linking in them.
                  Last edited by MRGTB; Tue 2 Jan '07, 12:31pm.

Comment

Personally I don't think its really worth the effort joining other sites post threads just to add your link there. Your much better spending your time posting aticles on your own site with back linking in them.

Well said and i would agree. But, as you know, people like forums. I have been a member of some forums for 10 years now.

So i have a challenge of writing new threads for a competitors forum and having a very dynamic discussion or posting the thread on my new forum and getting very few responses...

For example, i posted a taser abuse thread on a gun forum and then on my forum. The gun forum got 10,000 replies to it after 1 month. My forum got zero replies.

So would i benefit in this case by having my link on that 10,000 reply forum or just posting to my forum only?

Comment

You could try both. But I've never really found adding a link that lead to your own site in sigs on other sites does much good really. Except maybe bring a few hits and then they leave. Which is why I personally would concentrate on your own by adding content. Instead of thinking people will join your site from your site via a sig link on another site. But I guess it doesn't hurt to do both.

Just doesn't really work that way unfortunately from my past experience.

Comment

Light perfume, running hands through hair, and flirty laughter work for women who are trying to attract me. Try that.
                        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Instead of thinking people will join your site from your site via a sig link on another site. But I guess it doesn't hurt to do both.

Well the benefit i was looking for was linkback popularity, where by my links being on a popular website, it boosts the popularity of my own website.

But, as i said, the problem i find now is that those websites are outranking me on my own website terms. (ie. if my web site was called goob-taz-waz then when people search for either of those words, these other sites show in the top 30 or 40 and my site shows at like 40 etc.)

Comment

attracting members still works best through advertisement. Offer content and they will gradually come.

Comment

Originally posted by fusion2 View Post
                              Do you think signatures promote the site your posting on more then your own site?

I noticed that vbulletin and other forums that im on having been outranking my own site when searching for the name of my own website because my web link appears on their forum dozens of times etc.

So im sort of thinking it does more harm then good?
                              But, when you have no traffic at all. There's nothing to lose. You might as well get some new members this way and later withdraw from signature promotions.
                              www.christianforumsite.com
                              sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X