I need a blog - suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a blog - suggestions

Hey guys I don't know where to turn to for an answer to this question and the vB community has always been great, so I figured I'd ask here. Maybe you have suggestions of other places I can ask too.

Here is the front page of my website:
    http://www.scapefilms.com

You'll see the news section is just flat HTML. I'd like to add the ability for people to comment on these entries. How do I do that? I have the following requirements though:

1. I need to be able to keep the page the way it is now which includes a PHP script which rotates the big image every time someone refreshes.

2. I'm kind of afraid of MySQL databases. Even though I use one for my vB. But I've been burned in the past and prefer to keep this flatfile if possible for easy backup and restore. Not a lot of people read the front page as it is so it's not going to be under heavy use.

3. It needs to be simple to maintain, I don't have root access to the server or anything like that. I'm on budget shared webhosting plan. And it can't be linked to my vB because as you'll see I keep that on another URL at MichiganFilm.org.

4. I need to be able to put all my old entries in to it.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    www.ScapeFilms.com

consider using wordpress (there is a bridge availble for wordpress + vbulletin)
    TechArena - TechArena Community - News - Download - Video - Guide - Review

Comment

I use wordpress on another site of mine and don't like it at all. The stylesheets are a nightmare to work with and it's way too complex for what I want to do here.

As I said and don't need it to work with my vB and prefer it doesn't.
      www.ScapeFilms.com

Comment

WordPress!

Comment

Nevermind I'll ask somewhere else.
          www.ScapeFilms.com

Comment

Try CuteNews. EXTREMELY easy to use and very powerful. Free too.

It'll do what you want.

www.cutephp.com
            "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by roxics View Post
              I use wordpress on another site of mine and don't like it at all. The stylesheets are a nightmare to work with and it's way too complex for what I want to do here.

As I said and don't need it to work with my vB and prefer it doesn't.
              The reason why the stylesheets are a nightmare to work with is because of their complexity.

There are quite a few themes for Wordpress out there that significantly simply the templates and the stylesheets as well.
              :)

Comment

WordPress, for sure. IMO, it is the best blogging/CMS software available. It's easy to use, feature-rich, and has a nice interface.

Chris

Comment

WordPress forever. and there are 2 very good vB<>WP bridges on vb.org

Comment

can someone post a site that uses wordpress and vb together. I Guess I'm looking for a better front page. I like vBadvanced but was looking for something more.

I guess the 2 can not be used together is this correct

I'm new too blogging but would like to give it to my members

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X