Home Server (need testers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Server (need testers)

I'm using WAMP to run my forum from my PC. Can you click the link below and tell me if you can access the forum please.

192.168.1.4 is an IP on your home network. This is not accessible over the internet.
    Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
    Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

Yeah, this was the IP the router gives me as a client. Should it be the routers main IP address I use?

Comment

You can try but I don't think your server will be accessible over the Internet.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

It is not accessible by any network unfortunately. 192.168.x.x is a set of reserved private IP addresses and will not work.

In order for us to view it, you'll need to give out your assigned IP your router has been given by your ISP as well as configuring it so that port 80 or port 8080 is forwarded to 192.168.1.4
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
            It is not accessible by any network unfortunately. 192.168.x.x is a set of reserved private IP addresses and will not work.

In order for us to view it, you'll need to give out your assigned IP your router has been given by your ISP as well as configuring it so that port 80 or port 8080 is forwarded to 192.168.1.4
            Yes, thats what I was trying to do. I have access to the router settings and was trying to setup port forwarding. But I can't seem to get it sorted correctly

Comment

Most ISP's will block out the ability to run a web server. I pay for the ability to run a web server from home and I have to go to my ISP's website to unblock the email and web server ports.

Comment

You could cheat by changing the port on which apache is running on
                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Everybody can get that IP, it is INTERNAL.

Go to www.whatismyip.com to find your public IP address.
                  That's the IP people should check

But if you have a router and you're not port forwarding your home port 80, you'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
                    Everybody can get that IP, it is INTERNAL.

Go to www.whatismyip.com to find your public IP address.
                    That's the IP people should check

But if you have a router and you're not port forwarding your home port 80, you'll be fine.

I have done that, the IP I got if I enter that in the address bar takes me to my Router Admin log-on screen. So I kind of understand that must be the routers main IP address, and the link I posted with that IP above, is the IP the router has asigned too me as a client on the router. What I don't understand is how to setup the port forwarding on the router so access is granted over the web to allow my site to be viewed publicly.

I have a PDF manual here on my router which I can't upload here because its 4mb large for you to have a look at to see if you can tell me how to setup the router. Otherwise I would have uploaded the PDF manual
                    Last edited by MRGTB; Wed 20 Dec '06, 3:26pm.

Comment

Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
                      I have done that, the IP I got if I enter that in the address bar takes me to my Router Admin log-on screen.
                      You definately want to disable that.. You should set it up so you can only access the router from your internal network.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                        You definately want to disable that.. You should set it up so you can only access the router from your internal network.
                        I'll send you the IP via PM luke, tell me if you see the router log-on screen to confirm I'm right.

Comment

Can you tell me if you see my site now after adding a port forwarding setting

http://192.168.1.4/forum/index.php

Comment

Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
                            Can you tell me if you see my site now after adding a port forwarding setting

http://192.168.1.4/forum/index.php
                            As said above , the IP addresses 192.168.x.x "eg: 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.4" are reserved for internal networks only.
                            You will have to look at your routers status, and or configuration type to find your external IP addr..
                            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                            Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

What router are you using? And is your webserver a separate machine or your workstation? I recommend the former.

Try this article:
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X