Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much do big forums spend to run their forum and does adsense support these costs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fusion2 View Post
    Has anyone heard if there are prohibitions with transfering my domain name from godaddy to another service provider?

Im just wondering before my site gains in popularity if i should transfer now or wait? And if godaddy doesnt allow you to transfer etc?

The most important thing is retaining my intellectual property rights to the domain name and content, which i spent $700 to get trademarked.
    Having the domain name registered with GoDaddy is completely different to hosting your website with them. I have all my domain names registered with GoDaddy but use a different web host to actually store my files. In answer to your question there should be no problems in transferring to a different web host. It just pays to make sure that you pick a decent one. Go to www.webhostingtalk.com to get some good advice.

Comment

Originally posted by 1yesfan View Post
      What other ways are there?????
      You need to think creatively but there are definitely far better options than Google Adsense.

Comment

I host & run a motorbike forum and with our current phpBB forum we are only pushing about 1.5-2Gb a day, 200(daily) users, 250 posts/day, conncurent users does not realy go above 30-50. The db is running at about 350Mb and server load is under 20%(5min av), but peaks to 40% (15sec av). I pay £50 per month for a MSVS package which seems to cope very very well with that. I have modded the forum, tweeked the cache settings for avatars/css/js files, all that has lowered bandwidth usage.

If you had a MSVS or linux package which was lower it would probably still cope, but my server also has other apps and about 30 other sites running on it too so i need a bit of RAM. Main things that servers that serve up forums need is RAM for the database caching, the more users you have concurently the memory usage of the web server (apache/iis) also goes up.

We are moving to vBullitin within the next month after our test phase, but i do antisipate higher bandwidth usage for more advanced forums, but not sure on the CPU usage.

We have no adverts but the user donations cover all charges. I think adverts can put people off unless they are very directed and sutble, also subscriptions are not the way forwards unless the forum is unique.
        Last edited by TSM2; Thu 7 Dec '06, 1:57pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Cromulent View Post
          You need to think creatively but there are definitely far better options than Google Adsense.

Such as?
          Tim L
          www.yesfans.com

Comment

Originally posted by 1yesfan View Post
            What other ways are there?????
            Well, fixed banners, paid perm links, and user subscriptions to name 3 of the most popular.

To answer one of the original questions, the company I work for runs quite a few online forums for a total of about 15M posts and 1500 online users at any given time. We spend a little over $1K/month for hosting but I've got a unique configuration and a bit of room to grow.

Also, keep in mind that the guy that you were talking to does not have all that he claims he has. His host has it (and from the language used, I'd guess that it's SoftLayer).
            Jason Litka - Utter Ramblings

Comment

I have paid subs up and avail on the site but they do not get me a ton of cash. I have a site shop up at www.cafepress.com/yesfans and I use google.
              Last edited by 1yesfan; Thu 7 Dec '06, 2:10pm.
              Tim L
              www.yesfans.com

Comment

So would a forum be more novelty?

I keep reading about people who have blogs and it has become a fulltime job for them, in some cases there are bloggers making $60k a month from Google Ads (as indicated in a recent CNN article).

I like the vBulletin interface versus the various CMS and Blogging softwares out there. So i am sort of using vBulleitn as a blog in addition to discussions.

But, it sounds like all these extra forum features might turn costly as you bring in user traffic?

At the moment i have about 38k visitors a month on my new forum with about 3k unique visitors.

I am using about 100 megs a month in bandwidth. Probably because i get almost no replies to member posts. But, we are just starting out.

In any event, i would imagine i should seperate the blogging from the forum content, if anything to cut down on potential resource usage? I was going to get vBlogetin which is an add on for vBulletin and allows member blogs. But, with it being part of the forum, i imagine this will use more resources then say a blog post (ie. text only)?

But, it would seem i learned that forums can cost a lot of money to maintain and that you cant rely entirely on google ads to support?

Comment

$60K per month from a blog is going to be a special case. Forums, in general, are going to make you more money and will be a lot less work than constantly updating a blog.

As to not being able to rely on AdSense, you should never put your eggs all in one basket.

Comment

6k+ registered users and 175k+ posts gave me a 4Gb DB space - that alone puts you into a VDS or Dedciated Server. The shared web hosts with multiple db's have this very small size limits. They will give you disk space but not db space.

If your community grows, your db space is going to be a factor on how soon you move to a dedicated server.
                    But that is also why people recommend db pruning. If no one is reading those old posts/threads, why keep them around? Just to get a bigger statistic on the footer of your forums landing page?
                    http://skamarakas.com
                    I like cats, especially with General Tso's sauce.

Comment

Originally posted by storpappa View Post
                      6k+ registered users and 175k+ posts gave me a 4Gb DB space - that alone puts you into a VDS or Dedciated Server. The shared web hosts with multiple db's have this very small size limits. They will give you disk space but not db space.

If your community grows, your db space is going to be a factor on how soon you move to a dedicated server.
                      But that is also why people recommend db pruning. If no one is reading those old posts/threads, why keep them around? Just to get a bigger statistic on the footer of your forums landing page?

Many excellent points.

Wouldnt the older obsolete posts help with search engine ranking?

Comment

Originally posted by storpappa View Post

Take your attachments, avatars, and profile pics out of the database and your site will thank you for it. There is no way that you should be at 4GB with 175K posts.

Comment

Originally posted by jason|xoxide View Post
                          Take your attachments, avatars, and profile pics out of the database and your site will thank you for it. There is no way that you should be at 4GB with 175K posts.

Do you mean disabling it. Or maintaining those items in a file folder versus the mysql database?

Comment

vBulletin gives you the option of storing attachments, avatars, etc. in the DB or in the file system. You should export everything to the FS as there is a lot less overhead than serving from the DB.

Comment

I had 10k users, I pruned them down to active users and got 6k users. I have over 265k and the dB is only 200 megs. I use the File System and the attachments are an additional 500 megs.

I was making close to 1,000 a month from my adsense, and my hosting bill was only $100 with almost 20 others sites being ran off one server. Since then I was kicked off Adsense due to promotion of "Weapons".

It's never good to put all your eggs in one basket.

Comment

What are the alternatives of adsense? Eventhough i have tried almost all of them i cann't find one good as Adsense.

I have about 5k users & the db size is 200 MB. Still using a shared plan.
                                something...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X