Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much do big forums spend to run their forum and does adsense support these costs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much do big forums spend to run their forum and does adsense support these costs?

I am just getting into forums. So naturally i use godaddy and spend just $3 a month for hosting. I also have adsense which is generating about $2 a day or less.

My ultimate goal is to grow my membership to about 100k members.

But, i read on another thread a person talking about how he has a big forum and has a staff of 5 people and several dedicated web servers with redundancy and Business Continuity and Disaster Planning, UPS and Backup Generators etc. He had all this and only 25k members.

Could someone give me a ballpark estimate of how much it would cost to maintain a vbulletin forum with each of these membership milestones?
    • 1k members
    • 10k members
    • 25k members
    • 50k members
    • 100k members
    • 250k members
    • 500k members
    For example, if i had 25k active members who post 1 thread/post each day, how much would i expect to spend on hosting?

Also does adsense generate enough revenue to cover these costs? Or do i need to get funding elsewhere?

You ask a lot. I know I can't give you what ya want in a reply. I know I run the google ads, and get about 18 cents per click, I get about 100 bucks a month from them. Some months more, some months less.
    Tim L
    www.yesfans.com

Comment

Originally posted by 1yesfan View Post
      You ask a lot. I know I can't give you what ya want in a reply. I know I run the google ads, and get about 18 cents per click, I get about 100 bucks a month from them. Some months more, some months less.

I guess in simple terms. I am just wondering if people who have millions of posts or thousands of members end up spending hundreds of dollars or thousands of dollars a month just to maintain their hosting?

As i said, i pay just $50 a year for my hosting which gives me 350gig of bandwidth per month. So far, i am only around 100 megs a month with 34k visitors, 500 members and 1k posts. But, i imagine this accelerates in cost as the posts and membership increase.

Comment

This is a hard question to answer because its a depends on a number of unknowns.

1. What is your forum about? Certain subjects have greater earning potential than others.

2. Depending on the size of your database and the amount of concurrent users you have online at any given time, you may need to upgrade your hosting from shared to semi-dedicated to dedicated. A dedicated server can run between 100 - 200 bucks a month which might be reasonably supported by ad-revenue.
        Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Plus do you have attachments enabled? Are they well used by the members? There are lots of variables that can effect how much it costs to run a forum.

I don't think that Google Ads are the best way to earn money from your forum anyway. There are more reliable and better paying ways of earning the money to run your site.

Comment

Originally posted by fusion2 View Post
            I guess in simple terms. I am just wondering if people who have millions of posts or thousands of members end up spending hundreds of dollars or thousands of dollars a month just to maintain their hosting?

As i said, i pay just $50 a year for my hosting which gives me 350gig of bandwidth per month. So far, i am only around 100 megs a month with 34k visitors, 500 members and 1k posts. But, i imagine this accelerates in cost as the posts and membership increase.
            I pray you read your terms and conditions very carefully before signing up.

Comment

You will never get to use that 350GB of bandwidth a month. They will kick you off before you get anywhere near that.

Comment

Ridiculously large amounts of resources for a ridiculously low price = Danger, Will Robinson!

Many people come to learn this the hard way.

Comment

Number of members is meaningless.
                  How many members at once is more important.

I have +3600 'members' but only 300 active members who visit at least once in the past 10 days.
                  And you are going to run these huge new community on Godaddy?.
                  ...steven
                  www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                  bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                  "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

Originally posted by Cromulent View Post
                    You will never get to use that 350GB of bandwidth a month. They will kick you off before you get anywhere near that.
                    Why is there something wrong with godaddy?

If so please tell me before i spend too much time promoting my forum on their service.

Comment

Nothing wrong with GoDaddy per say. It is just something almost all shared hosts employ. They offer you large amounts of hard drive space and bandwidth for a stupidly low cost with the knowledge that even if you could use it all, doing so would violate their fair use policy.

Expecting to get 350GB of bandwidth a month from a shared host is unrealistic in the extreme. To get that your looking at forking out for a dedicated server (a VPS might do I guess).

Just be wary of any host that offers you tons of space and bandwidth for a small price.

Comment

Has anyone heard if there are prohibitions with transfering my domain name from godaddy to another service provider?

Im just wondering before my site gains in popularity if i should transfer now or wait? And if godaddy doesnt allow you to transfer etc?

The most important thing is retaining my intellectual property rights to the domain name and content, which i spent $700 to get trademarked.

Comment

Originally posted by Cromulent View Post
                          Plus do you have attachments enabled? Are they well used by the members? There are lots of variables that can effect how much it costs to run a forum.

I don't think that Google Ads are the best way to earn money from your forum anyway. There are more reliable and better paying ways of earning the money to run your site.

What other ways are there?????
                          Tim L
                          www.yesfans.com

Comment

I am using ASMALLORANGE.COM for all my hosting needs!
                            Tim L
                            www.yesfans.com

Comment

Originally posted by 1yesfan View Post
                              I am using ASMALLORANGE.COM for all my hosting needs!
                              Thanks for that advertisement. It is offtopic - so please don't do that again.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X