Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More info on vBulletin needed

Hi,

I'm involved with a new site (called ITerating)- a wiki guide for all software (open source and commercial) and I'm working at "Website & Communication Applications" class. I added vBulletin in the wiki guide but this is all I added so far :

Description: vBulletin is a powerful, scalable and fully customizable forums package for your web site. It has been written using the Web's quickest-growing scripting language; PHP, and is complemented with a highly efficient and ultra fast back-end database engine built using MySQL.

Home page link: http://www.vbulletin.com/

Belongs to Classes: Forums

Project Administrator or Product Manager: Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd

Contributors:

User Groups:

Licenses: GNU General Public License (Free GPL compatible)

Operating Systems:

Packaged In:

Programming Languages: PHP

Programming Interfaces (API):

Graphical Interfaces (GUI):

Available languages:

Patches:

This is all I added so far (still many gaps). Any suggestions anyone?

It's not GPL.
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

FYI, it's not GNU/GPL License. It's a commercial/paid license
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

For languages, vB is officially available in English, German and Chinese.
        Forums

Comment

Solaris, Linux, BSD, Windows, and Mac are supported opperating Systems according to this page.

Here's the developers and contributors.

Software Developed By - Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
          Product Manager - Kier Darby, John Percival
          Business Development - James Limm, Ashley Busby
          Software Development - Kier Darby, Freddie Bingham, Scott MacVicar, Mike Sullivan, Jerry Hutchings, Andreas Kirbach
          Graphics Development - Kier Darby, Fabio Passaro
          Other Contributions From - Jake Bunce, Doron Rosenberg, Overgrow, Kevin Schumacher, Chen Avinadav, Floris Fiedeldij Dop, Stephan 'pogo' Pogodalla, Michael 'Mystics' König, Torstein Hønsi
          Copyright Enforcement By - Pirate Reports

Comment

Originally posted by Quillz View Post
            For languages, vB is officially available in English, German and Chinese.
            And Hungarian.
            You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

Thanks a lot. I've updated the info with what you told me.It's here: http://www.iterating.com/productclasses/Forums It seems that phpBB and PunBB are taking the lead on "Forum" Class unless you provide some good reviews on vBulletin

Comment

Originally posted by Alinutza View Post
                Thanks a lot. I've updated the info with what you told me.It's here: http://www.iterating.com/productclasses/Forums It seems that phpBB and PunBB are taking the lead on "Forum" Class unless you provide some good reviews on vBulletin
                3/4 of the vB reviews are completely inaccurate, I doubt one or two determined vBulletin fans would make much difference in the longrun.

Comment

Originally posted by Alinutza View Post
                  I might add there is a degree of bias on some of the reviews.

For example:

Originally posted by Cool
                  vBulletin surely is feature-packed, but be prepared to upgrade your servers. This thing is extremely resource-hungry!
                  As much as this reviewer would argue that vBulletin is server intensive, it isn't. vBulletin is pretty effective in managing and being optimized for lot of performance despite poor hardware.

Originally posted by I like it
                  I like it but why pay for software when you can get the same functionality and performance and a better support form an Open Source project (I'm talking about phpBB).
                  Functionality - Not Really. There's lots of missing features in a basic stock vBulletin 3.6.x that are not available in phpBB 2.x.x

Performance - I don't see too many 1 million threads / posts of phpBB.

Support - I've read a lot of disgruntled complaints about the lack of support to be all honest. Moreso also how questions go unanswered.

While yes everyone has a personal bias, I think the bias inputted in these reviews are unfounded and moreso, provides an inaccurate view of vBulletin.
                  ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                  Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

You get what you pay for.

Comment

Class: Bulletin Board System (BBS)

www.big-boards.com/statistics

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X