IE 7 Slow To Connect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE 7 Slow To Connect

I installed IE 7 on XP and when I start it up, it take a long time to load the homepage (msn.com). Even opening a new tab takes time and the tab says "Conecting..." I have no problems with Firefox. I enabled port forwarding on my router and I wonder if that has anything to do with the problems I have with Ie7. Any ideas on my problem?

Do you have automatically detect settings on in advanced LAN settings?
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund View Post
      Do you have automatically detect settings on in advanced LAN settings?
      No.

Comment

Are you using the IE 7 Phishing filter? It can send website addresses to MicroSoft for validation against a list they have of known phishing sites (depends on setting)

Tools -> Internet Options -> [Tab]Advanced -> [scroll down to] Phishing Filter -> Turn on automatic website checking

I do not know how much this affects loading of pages. If it is on, you can at least test quickly to see if it has any effect turning it off.

Regards
        - Tommy
        MCP / MCSA / MCSE / MCT
        A few eggs short of a complete easter basket

vB 4.0.5+ CMS (No hacks), Windows Server 2008 R2 Ent, IIS 7.5, PHP 5.3+ (FastCGI), WinCache, Memcached, MySQL 5.1.45

Comment

I turned off the phishing filter and it makes no difference

Comment

I have no problems with IE 7. After you installed it, did you choose the option to delete all cookies and temp pages etc. If not, do that to see if it makes any difference.

Comment

I wonder if it has to do with the port forwarding on my router?

Comment

It shouldn't. Port Forwarding refers to Incoming Request Traffic, i.e. refer all incoming Port 80 requests to your webserver. When you get a webpage, it is Response message. The router should use NAT to transfer it to the computer that sent the outgoing Request. That is provided your router is working as a Switch and not a Hub. Hubs have to send the message out to all computers until one says, "Yep, that is mine and accepts it." Switches keep track of which computer did the request and sends the results directly back to them.

I would say it is more likely related to the number of connections you have and your MTU (Maximum Tranmission Unit). You might try optimizing that for your connection.
                http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/280/

Firefox probably gets around it because it does pipelining and will open multiple connections to download the same data and then reconstruct it on your end.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Might also be worth removing IE 7 and re-installing it again. You might just have a glitch that happened during the install.

I'd be tempted to remove it and re-install to see what happens

Comment

Could be because its Microsoft

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                      It shouldn't. Port Forwarding refers to Incoming Request Traffic, i.e. refer all incoming Port 80 requests to your webserver. When you get a webpage, it is Response message. The router should use NAT to transfer it to the computer that sent the outgoing Request. That is provided your router is working as a Switch and not a Hub. Hubs have to send the message out to all computers until one says, "Yep, that is mine and accepts it." Switches keep track of which computer did the request and sends the results directly back to them.

I would say it is more likely related to the number of connections you have and your MTU (Maximum Tranmission Unit). You might try optimizing that for your connection.
                      http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/280/

Firefox probably gets around it because it does pipelining and will open multiple connections to download the same data and then reconstruct it on your end.
                      I added the MTU (Had 3 adapters listed, but I only have one physical one ??) rebooted, but that did not help.

Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
                      Might also be worth removing IE 7 and re-installing it again. You might just have a glitch that happened during the install.

I'd be tempted to remove it and re-install to see what happens

I did and it is still slow. Even opening a link in a new tab is slow.

Any other ideas?

Comment

I use Vista over Parallels on the mac here, and it loads ie7 just fine. I dont' get any delays to be honest. Quite impressed with how smoothly it runs.

Comment

Sorry to hijack your thread, but was gonna throw this out anyway and see if anyone else is having similar grief.

I've noticed all vBulletin AJAX functions aren't working as they should be in IE7. They are first and foremost treated as links, then as AJAX functions, therefore never fully working unless I manage to stop the browser in time from loading the next page.

Anybody else having that problem? If not, any recommended fixes? I've tried clearing cookies and cache, and doesn't work.
                          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
                              Sorry to hijack your thread, but was gonna throw this out anyway and see if anyone else is having similar grief.

I've noticed all vBulletin AJAX functions aren't working as they should be in IE7. They are first and foremost treated as links, then as AJAX functions, therefore never fully working unless I manage to stop the browser in time from loading the next page.

Anybody else having that problem? If not, any recommended fixes? I've tried clearing cookies and cache, and doesn't work.
                              Turn on "Enable XMLHTTP support" under Internet Options -> Advanced.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                              Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X