This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kiren View Post
    I understand that Mac has flashy graphics, but I dunno maybe Microsoft's publicity department needs to rethink their image. When I think Microsoft I think oppressive, when I think Mac I think dancing and freedom :P. Those are just "feelings" though and aren't based on fact...but Microsoft's commercials are much more corporate and boring than Mac's.
    Who has more marketshare? Though it should be added that some of Microsoft's largest customers are Macintosh based shops.

Personally though Apple comes off as a bunch of elitist snobs. That is good though, that is exactly the image that Steve Jobs wants for the company.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
      Its silly to prefer something like "linux" as broad as a scope as that is, over any thing for a server really. You should use the best software for the job. You wouldn't run a linux machine to run asp.net and you wouldn't run windows to do something thats native to some build of linux.
      Linux is better than windows server over anything, if you look at most OS on servers you will find Linux is used by more, Obviously you would use red hat as its one of the most secure, plus there are more viruses for windows and more hackers for windows than there are Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeS View Post
        Linux is better than windows server over anything, if you look at most OS on servers you will find Linux is used by more, Obviously you would use red hat as its one of the most secure, plus there are more viruses for windows and more hackers for windows than there are Linux.
        And yet would you say that since Windows is used by more people than Mac OS X or Linux, it's better? Linux is great for web hosting, but not for absolutely everything.
        Forums

Comment

Linux is used more for web hosting/serving because it is free to deploy. However I don't know of any large fortune 500 company that uses Linux servers for their critical operations. Maybe Google or Yahoo but I don't think they have been admitted to the club yet. The large companies mostly use Windows 200X server or AIX or a combination of the two. Just like more corporations are likely to use Oracle and Microsoft SQL server over MySQL any day.

Even with that, current statistics state that over 30% of all websites are run on Microsoft's IIS. And the number is increasing. Though I can almost guarantee that some of the sites attributed to Apache are still run on Windows boxes.

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/we...er_survey.html

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Quillz View Post
            And yet would you say that since Windows is used by more people than Mac OS X or Linux, it's better? Linux is great for web hosting, but not for absolutely everything.
            I Agree with 50% of that, yes it is great for servers, now i kind of agree with you on the OS statement, I have used Linux as my primary OS before, its not as bad as you make it sound, well ok it takes a bit more knowledge than XP or Vista would (Example: My friend set it up on his computer and couldn't even get his internet to work)
            But besides that its a good little OS, I would use Free versions of Linux for Main OS (Cheaper) so yeah can be used as Main OS for normal pc is just as reliable just takes some getting used to is all.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
              Its silly to prefer something like "linux" as broad as a scope as that is, over any thing for a server really. You should use the best software for the job. You wouldn't run a linux machine to run asp.net and you wouldn't run windows to do something thats native to some build of linux.
              This was a well, articulated post.

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
              Linux is used more for web hosting/serving because it is free to deploy. However I don't know of any large fortune 500 company that uses Linux servers for their critical operations. Maybe Google or Yahoo but I don't think they have been admitted to the club yet. The large companies mostly use Windows 200X server or AIX or a combination of the two. Just like more corporations are likely to use Oracle and Microsoft SQL server over MySQL any day.
              Yup. As far as I know The Fortune 500's use MS based servers.
              Last edited by Freesteyelz; Wed 29 Nov '06, 5:38pm.

Comment

Vista = Bloatware that I'm hoping to avoid.

Comment

I Agree with 50% of that, yes it is great for servers, now i kind of agree with you on the OS statement, I have used Linux as my primary OS before, its not as bad as you make it sound, well ok it takes a bit more knowledge than XP or Vista would (Example: My friend set it up on his computer and couldn't even get his internet to work)
                  But besides that its a good little OS, I would use Free versions of Linux for Main OS (Cheaper) so yeah can be used as Main OS for normal pc is just as reliable just takes some getting used to is all.
                  I never said Linux made a bad desktop OS.
                  Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Spain View Post
                    Vista = Bloatware that I'm hoping to avoid.
                    I thought so too, until I tried it out myself.

Vista is a surprisingly robust operating system. The exact system that I have that was running Windows XP now runs the same programs noticeably faster. Same hardware, different OS. Photoshop CS2, for example, starts up at least 5 to 10 seconds faster. My Windows XP install was completely clean--I kept track of all system changes made by program installs, etc. and made sure it performed at its best at all times.

Windows Vista has a ton of cool administrative and system features and such, but let's pretend those didn't exist. The first thing that I noticed after I booted up Vista for the first time was how fluid everything runs. I didn't expect Aero Glass's pixel shading and animations and transparency to run so fluidly, especially after experiencing transparency in Windows XP. Also, I didn't realize how smoothly program windows respond to user input. Windows Vista has a window-manager process that runs in the background and keeps track/manages all open windows. This process greatly improves the response and feedback of running windows and makes everything faster--even programs that have crashed are still able to be moved, opened, and closed smoothly (all while maintaining the nice window transparency effects and such).

If nothing else, Vista has made my computer run faster and look better. Simple as that. Windows XP seems like bloatware compared to Vista.
                    :)

Comment

Here here DP. Well balanced post
                      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by DirectPixel View Post
                        I thought so too, until I tried it out myself.

Vista is a surprisingly robust operating system. The exact system that I have that was running Windows XP now runs the same programs noticeably faster. Same hardware, different OS. Photoshop CS2, for example, starts up at least 5 to 10 seconds faster. My Windows XP install was completely clean--I kept track of all system changes made by program installs, etc. and made sure it performed at its best at all times.

Windows Vista has a ton of cool administrative and system features and such, but let's pretend those didn't exist. The first thing that I noticed after I booted up Vista for the first time was how fluid everything runs. I didn't expect Aero Glass's pixel shading and animations and transparency to run so fluidly, especially after experiencing transparency in Windows XP. Also, I didn't realize how smoothly program windows respond to user input. Windows Vista has a window-manager process that runs in the background and keeps track/manages all open windows. This process greatly improves the response and feedback of running windows and makes everything faster--even programs that have crashed are still able to be moved, opened, and closed smoothly (all while maintaining the nice window transparency effects and such).

If nothing else, Vista has made my computer run faster and look better. Simple as that. Windows XP seems like bloatware compared to Vista.
                        What build are you referring to here? I'm eager to finally try out my RC1 DVD as soon as I get my secondary hard drive installed.
                        Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Quillz View Post
                          What build are you referring to here? I'm eager to finally try out my RC1 DVD as soon as I get my secondary hard drive installed.
                          Vista Ultimate Final. The download of the RTM build that is available from MSDN.
                          :)

Comment

Originally posted by DirectPixel View Post
                            This is because XP uses the CPU to draw the GUI for the most part. It is simply an amalgam of images loaded into the right place from your drive and displayed on the screen. Vista actually uses the GPU in the PC to handle all this and renders the OS on the fly. Let's the CPU do other work.

Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Well, I don't have access to that. RC1 is the best I'm going to be able to test.
                              Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Spain View Post
                                Vista = Bloatware
                                Agree 100% with that, Because alot of people who purchased there pc's in hmm.. 2002 or something proberly won't even have enough ram for it, I mean like 512MB ram to go purely on the OS? wow, But I did once get it to upgrade XP to BETA 2 and use it with 384MB ram which i was shocked at, it stopped working on RC2.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X