X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by qasic
    Funny,

My bosses paid the full business price for UBB (http://boards.wizards.com/) [and yes, they ARE very big!]

qasic
    By any chance, does your Boss have pointy hair?

By the way, why are they still running UBB 5.47e? You'd think these big spenders could afford all that extra server power needed to run UBB 6!
    Last edited by Steve Machol; Tue 26 Jun '01, 5:54pm.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by JimF
      Huh? I think vB's GUI is 100x more "user friendly" than UBB.

-jim
      maybe its a matter of personal opinion. ill try to show something i think about this.

this is the post table. it is divided in 4 (four) table cells. the post date is hard to find, and with the options, it seems to be something separated from the post. the placement of things doesnt make sense. plus, i didnt write "report this post to a moderator" neither "ip", which is within my message area. sorry, i think its ugly, and inefficient... plus theres a two pixel line separator of the posts, which is for big posts to not mess the whole thread, but it helps on the "ugly" matter.

the forum information is all cluttered together, and it seem to not have a logical connection between them. its hard for your eyes to find how many users your forum have.

the navigation bar is floating around. the ">" sign is strange, even a ":" sign would be better (imo). plus it have an annoying 1 blank pixel separating the word from the link underline (maybe a <br> would help?...).

i have a low bandwhich connection and i want to reach page 9 of 15.

profile. theres a lot of information cluttered in a simple table. i just want his icq... oh theres the icq info! but its blank. well, i dont think i want to talk to this guy anymore.

hey, the administrator can mess with my options... better watch out.

i want to change my avatar... will it be in "profile" or "options"? whats the real difference between them? and the "my vb home" will take me to the forums home page, or my cps home page?

Edit Buddy List and Change Password are really in the same "level" the others are? cause its in the same menu.

cool the memberlist. i want to find JimF. already choosen "list alphabetically"...

to be continued...
      Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

i think ill go look for a post from him.

should i subscribe or create a new topic?

if i subscribe, will i get a digest of this forum, or an e-mail every time someone posts to it? (answer: neither one)

let's all have a party. everyones loosen up down here. if i had a broom, i would just clean them up.

the CP

i got a little tired of taking screenshots. the dev team is a really cool information, but i think it could be on a "credits" link. the ubbs cp front page shows my monthly page views, if my board is open or closed, my number of registered users and i forgot 1, but its useful information of my board.

anyone not used to it will have a hard time finding things (thats "user friendly"). the options are all in one page, but some others are scattered around (like options for avatars are in this "options" huge page, and the avatars other options are further down in the left menu, separated). well, it is a lot of options.

styles. PHP parsed code, Head Insert, Header and Footer appear both on styles and templates. if i change one, the other changes too. why keep them separated them? "body tag" isnt "user friendly" as choosing colors for font, which appear a bit down (found after i changed in the body). select boxes with some well-known colors are "user friendly". theres not many images to choose here too, gotta play with templates (title image, reply image, new thread image, closed thread image). wheres the large font being used?

thats me trying to choose a forum parent in my 400 forums bb. thats a full page down in the select box. i cant use letters to reach my destination, just "-" signs, which does not help.

thats me trying to modify a forum. again, thats a full page down. takes 3 seconds for the browser to highlight an option because of the css "a-hoover".

god is in the details.

i ask you not to take any of my comments personal. thanks.
        Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

This has templates.
          If you dont like the layout...change it.

And Im not getting involved in the UBB vs vB argument, but vBulletin wins hands down

Comment

Nicholas is right, you can change the templates to get the layout you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Jez
              The are only two reasons why people are still buying UBB and why they are still in business.

1) Users don't have access to PHP and/or mySQL.

2) They don't know about vBulletin.

BTW, qasic aren't you a mod over at UBBDev?
              Oh and you're sure of that?? Where are you getting this information from?? The arrogance from some of you users is appalling.
              Last edited by OnFire; Wed 27 Jun '01, 9:05am.

Comment

Dream, excellent points all of them. I hope for the next upgrade someone looks at your points and does something about it.

The templates are a real bear to deal with and need to be improved dramatically.

Comment

Oh and you're sure of that?? Where are you getting this information from?? The arrogance from some of you users is appalling.
                  OnFire,
                  I am a programmer by trade, I script perl and php. I am typicly hired to install UBB or vB. The amount of installs have gone down drasticly on UBB installation. I was doing around 30 a month, to maybe 2 now, while vB installations have gone from 15-20 to around 40. I also include reinstalls in these numbers, and upgrades.....

Comment

Originally posted by The Prohacker

OnFire,
                    I am a programmer by trade, I script perl and php. I am typicly hired to install UBB or vB. The amount of installs have gone down drasticly on UBB installation. I was doing around 30 a month, to maybe 2 now, while vB installations have gone from 15-20 to around 40. I also include reinstalls in these numbers, and upgrades.....
                    So?? Because you are doing less UBB installations, and more VB ones, you have somehow corrolated that people aren't using a UBB because they don't know about VB or they don't have MySQL access?? That's quite a leap in logic.

Perhaps, people are better able to install the UBB on their own now, and don't need an installer. If you want to discount that theory, that's your prerogative.

Futhermore, just because YOU are doing less UBB installs, doesn't mean much. I have no idea about your business practices, what products you push, what clients you cater to, what platforms you specialize in etc. So you saying you install more VB's really doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot frankly. No offense intended.

I can appreciate VB's growth, and it is a good product. But the blatant unsupported claims by VB users on this board about the UBB and how well they are doing does a HUGE disservice to this board and product. None of you know, you don't work for InfoPop, so stop professing to know what their financial situation is.

Comment

Hello,

My bosses are in the process of upgrading to UBB 6. Corporate people take their time to try out new software. Our university only upgraded to Win2K after Win2K was out for 9 months (the migration process for IT managers ))

Secondly, I am NOT a moderator @ UBBDev even though I have coded many hacks for UBB. As a result of coding a lot of UBB hacks, I have learned Perl (not a bad combo IMHO). Sooner or later, I'm planning to move into PHP and I think that would mean vB hacks in the future

Finally, while featurewise, vB wins hands down but for a regular, average John Doe user UBB's ease of use is unprecedented. I mean, sure you can edit your own templates but UBB comes with easy to change settings out of the box (and then the cicular argument goes around, with vB templates you have control but with UBB templates you have control too ....)

Currently in the usage of which bulletin board, numbers talk and currently, I'll have to say that vB has WAY (how about 70% [that's a total, out of the ball park guess)) more market share than UBB. Does this mean vBulletin is a superior product? That's a matter of perspective - there will always be the naysayers and the yessayers but in the end, the consumer's hand and money speaks.

Take the example of WordPerfect and Microsoft Word. When WordPerfect came out, Word was a nobody. WordPerfect was superior to Word in virtually every aspect. Now? Word dominates the marketplace. If you ask me, between UBB and vBulletin, vBulletin, to me is a technically superior product but for the end user, does it really matter? I mean, all I want to do is post and reply. That's it. All these fancy gizmos mean nothing if I can't post and reply.

Take a look @ Decipher's UBB (http://www.decipher.com is the main sit). It's a WWWThreads type of board BUT it gets the job them. There are no avatars, Calendar options, Memberlist, etc. What it does have, however, is an easy post and reply system and a simple to use interface.

I'm just ranting now but in the end, it's just what gets the job done is what matters. Whether you chose phpBB, IkonBoard, YaBb, UBB, vB or any other product, it boils down to this: getting the job done in a way that makes the end user happy.

qasic

Comment

Originally posted by OnFire

Umm..if you put UBB and vB side by side, which would you go for???

Any competent user will know that vB will win hands down. For two reasons, more features, better price. Plus you don't have to upgrade your board every other week, just cause there a .05z build out due to the many bugs in UBB.

The only critism I have vB is the layout of the CP. It needs to be more "modularised" i.e. different options on different pages.

Oh and qasic, I remember you because I used to be a former UBB user, who had to constatly run over to UBBdev for features that IP should have provided.

Comment

all wrong

you guys got it all wrong. the best board out there is located at www.tek-tips.com. its the most powerful and fasted.

it may not have the best UI, but its got several things this board lacks:

giving points out to helpful posts.
                          user written faq's
                          and contests

the company that makes it is not tek-tips.com, they are just the site that uses it. there are other sites to. i think www.eng-tips.com for engineering professionals.

i suggest you check it out.

-vic

Comment

Originally posted by Jez
                            Oh and qasic, I remember you because I used to be a former UBB user, who had to constatly run over to UBBdev for features that IP should have provided.
                            Hmmm qasic, I think he's referring to himself, so I think he's got THAT right...

And yeah, I remember you too Been using a couple of your great hacks before I saw the light and switched over to VB ...
                            OPEN TECH SUPPORT
                            "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

Ooopssies ..

Sorry about that; I misread your post; I though you were referring to me. My apologies for my stupidity :: shoves a couple of molecules around in my brain ::

qasic

Comment

Well Well

Hello Prohacker.... long time no see.... I presume its you and you know who I am... Wouldnt expect you to be around vbulletin.....

let me know if its you

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X