Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac/Linux

Can anyone tell me, is FreeBSD linux?
    Is FreeBSD 6.1 good if FreeBSD is not linux?
    If not can you provide a download link for Linux the latest version?
    And one last question, how do you partition a HDD?
    Thanks
    SNN.
    Last edited by SNN; Tue 21 Nov '06, 9:27pm.

FreeBSD is kind of like linux with a twist, and some linux features arent available in FreeBSD, i prefer fedora myself.

As for the partitioning a HD question, if you give me more info about when youre planning on
    partitioning, during an OS installation, or while you are in an Operating System?
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

While I am in WinXP OS. I cannot run a OS installation for XP anymore as my dumb CD-RW busted the disc.
      I would love to get FreeBSD to work cause Linux is preferrably more better of a hosting system (Yes, I am considering of turning my computer into a host system and get some $$$ off of it )
      But, if FreeBSD can add a partition in the installation, do I just do it there? Also how do I install it? I don't see a program to install...

EDIT: I have gotten support from another site how to do the partitions thing. I am using Partition Magic, and will get this going. But first of all, can anyone tell me, how to install Linux?
      Last edited by SNN; Tue 21 Nov '06, 9:57pm.

Comment

FreeBSD is technically not Linux, but it's close.

If you're starting out, you'll want a Linux distribution that is very, very easy to install and one that non-destructively partitions your hard drive. One doesn't come to mind, although I believe SUSE Linux doesn't destroy data when partitioning.
        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Windows doesn't come on a rewritable cd

Comment

FreeBSD is Unix not Linux as it uses a micro kernel rather than the Linux kernel.

If you are just starting out I guess the best Linux distribution to use would be something like Ubuntu. Thats fairly easy to grasp and dead easy to install. I'd stay away from FreeBSD until you are comfortable with the command line and the Unix / Linux way of thinking.

http://www.ubuntu.com/ you can download Ubuntu here. All you need to do is burn the ISO images onto some CDs (using the correct software) and then boot your computer using those discs.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
              My Windows XP disc busted when I was un/re-installing internet explorer cause of a bug in the main program. I have never gotten the time to contact Microsoft and see if they would replace it.
              Originally posted by Cromulent
              FreeBSD is Unix not Linux as it uses a micro kernel rather than the Linux kernel.

If you are just starting out I guess the best Linux distribution to use would be something like Ubuntu. Thats fairly easy to grasp and dead easy to install. I'd stay away from FreeBSD until you are comfortable with the command line and the Unix / Linux way of thinking.

http://www.ubuntu.com/ you can download Ubuntu here. All you need to do is burn the ISO images onto some CDs (using the correct software) and then boot your computer using those discs.
              I truely rather use FreeBSD cause I am more familiar with hard programs and stuff, but windows is WAY too easy.

EDIT:Oh I see now, I want to use that now lol I like new stuff very fast as you see
              Originally posted by filburt1
              FreeBSD is technically not Linux, but it's close.

If you're starting out, you'll want a Linux distribution that is very, very easy to install and one that non-destructively partitions your hard drive. One doesn't come to mind, although I believe SUSE Linux doesn't destroy data when partitioning.
              FreeBSD destroys partitioning??
              Last edited by SNN; Wed 22 Nov '06, 5:15am.

Comment

Originally posted by SNN View Post
                FreeBSD destroys partitioning??
                If you use the partitioning tools within FreeBSD I believe it will result in you losing everything on your hard drive. Although there are some third party programs which can partition your drive non destructively before you start to install FreeBSD. This goes for most (if not all) Linux distributions as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
                  Erm, some of mine do

Before anyone says anything, yes there genuine, but there Downloaded OEM.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X